Which One???

Help Support Steer Planet:

showstick09

Both of these calves are going to be at a sale this Friday. I am interested in purchasing one of them. In your opinion, which one would you purchase, and what are your likes and dislikes of both?? Thanks!!

Attachments

• 783.jpg
    783.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 340
  • 794.jpg
    794.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 340

showsteerdlux

Dont know the ages but both are really nice heifers. When looking at differences the 1st heifer may be a little higher in her tailhead. She also is longer bodied and seems to have good rib shape. The 2nd heifer looks to have a little more bone and muscle shape as well as she doesnt seem to be as straight in the shoulders as the 1st one does. Overall both are 2 very good heifers imo and would probably both do well. I guess i would have to go with the 1st one as she looks like she should fit the bill of a good feminine female with plenty of rib and muscle.

4Ts4H

I think it kinda depends on what your plans for them are.  I like the first heifers length and to me she looks like she will make an easy keeping broody cow.  I think that the second one has the look to spark a little more interest in the ring.  I also think that she will have a bit more rib shape and lower quarter(this may be all hair?!?!), although a different angle of pic may change my mind!

It just too bad that the best breeding heifers aren't the same as the breeding heifers that win the shows.  We just decied to turn out a heifer much like the first one since she just won't have the package to win in a ring.  But don't slight her - her calves are gonna ROCK! (thumbsup)

Bawndoh

Honestly I would probably not purchase either of them, :-\, but since you asked I will elaborate.
The 2nd looks like she is the younger one, and seems to have the more correct foundation (structurally).  I can see her turning into one of those very deep bodied wide based cows (for an RA).  The 1st heifer looks like she will end up being long and shallow in her heart and rib, and I dont like the way she stands on her back legs.
If you start with a good structure, it is easier to add muscle shape, width, etc to them.  If you start with poor structure it can be a mess.  Structural correctness is an absolute assett to any herd for longevity and pridictability. 
If you have an ok structured cow/heifer and you want to breed her to a bull that you dont know the structure of,....then you dont know what side (the cow or bull) your calf inherrited his aweful structure from.  If your cows is structural perfection, then you will know it was the bull that did it. 

Jill

If it were me and I was looking for a Red Angus I would go with the one ZNT has in their sale, she is extremely nice, looks like she well be competitive and he has her priced to sell.

gocanes719

I say the second one.  They both look green to me.  i like the way the second heifers neck comes out of the top of her shoulder.  She will be a lot cooler to look at on the halter in the ring.  I think they both have quality.

kane1598

Bawndoh said:
Honestly I would probably not purchase either of them, :-\, but since you asked I will elaborate.
The 2nd looks like she is the younger one, and seems to have the more correct foundation (structurally).  I can see her turning into one of those very deep bodied wide based cows (for an RA).  The 1st heifer looks like she will end up being long and shallow in her heart and rib, and I dont like the way she stands on her back legs.
If you start with a good structure, it is easier to add muscle shape, width, etc to them.  If you start with poor structure it can be a mess.  Structural correctness is an absolute assett to any herd for longevity and pridictability. 
If you have an ok structured cow/heifer and you want to breed her to a bull that you dont know the structure of,....then you dont know what side (the cow or bull) your calf inherrited his aweful structure from.  If your cows is structural perfection, then you will know it was the bull that did it. 
Agreed.  I think the first female looks like she is going to be pretty shallow and tight in the end, and I bet she rolls her top.  I think there are better heiferes out there for you.

showstick09

Thank you everybody for all of the advice. I might rethink things and try to find a better heifer. These were just the first two I have seen so far that are near by me.
Jill said:
If it were me and I was looking for a Red Angus I would go with the one ZNT has in their sale, she is extremely nice, looks like she well be competitive and he has her priced to sell.
Where can I find a picture of the heifer ZNT has for sale?

ZNT

showstick09 said:
Thank you everybody for all of the advice. I might rethink things and try to find a better heifer. These were just the first two I have seen so far that are near by me.
Jill said:
Where can I find a picture of the heifer ZNT has for sale?

Thank you Jill for the kind words. 

You can find a picture of our November Red Angus at www.zntcattle.com.  Just go to the Private Treaty Sale page and she is Lot 24.  I currently have a bid of $2300 on her right now.  Initial bidding ends at 2pm on March 30th.