which sells better

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I think a lot depends on where you are. Here in Ohio & surrounding states, spring calves are more in demand because that's when the shows are. In the south, you have shows that run different times of the year so fall calves work very well.
I will probably bred 2 of my cows for fall calves for next year. This is more because of the timing on when they will be back in heat rather than an economic factor.

Red

afhm

It varies from year to tear for us.  Last  year the falls did the best and looks like the springs will this year.

SKF

I know that for most of Florida Fall calves sell better because most of the fairs are from Jan-March.

DLD

Fall borns (steers) always sell better for us. Even though we do have Tulsa in early October, and in Texas there's Dallas at the same time, a relatively small percentage of people feed (steers) for those shows. On the rare occasion that we sell more than a handful (4 or 5) spring borns, it's usually because a trader buys several to take to either east or west of here. And the ones we do sell bring alot less (a $2500 - $3000 fall born would bring about half that as a spring born here), so we don't even really try to breed the spring calvers for show steers, but for replacement females instead.

Latest posts