Which would you rather raise......

Help Support Steer Planet:

Out of your best cow, your most exciting mating, which do you want?

• Total voters

Limiman12

I know this will be different for different people, largely due to points in life you are, and what your market is.....  But a comment on another post about preferring a balanced female got me thinking.....

You walk out to the barn, you have a breeding that  would make a nice replacement  female, or a very marketable steer.  You see the calf on the ground and sucking and can tell its a good one.  Are you hoping it is a bull or heifer?

Myself, I have a five year old daughter and a three year old son.  I would be hoping for a heifer because dad and I are trying to keep our herd commercially viable while having a handful of heifers that in time will be able to be bred clubby to get a reasonably competitive steer in five to ten years.  When asking about bulls right now, I ask about their daughters, his mother etc.  I feel, and I doubt my opinion will change in time that a good heifer that produces will make you more money then a similar in quality steer, and I always have a market for heifers, our herd.

leanbeef

That's an interesting question... As long as I've been around cattle which is all my life, I've ALWAYS wanted heifers. It's kind of funny since I'm pretty commercially oriented for a purebred seed stock guy, and typically, our bulls are worth more than the heifers. Even if I was raising feeder calves, the steers would obviously be worth more than the heifer calves. I think as a kid I was always prone to getting attached to certain ones in the herd, and if they were heifers, then there was a chance we'd get to keep them. I believe in the power of a good cow family, so I like having daughters to keep out of my favorite cows. There are matings that I REALLY want heifers out of, and then there are some I try not to care too much because I know some of them are gonna be bulls. Interestingly, I breed for bulls because we have a good ag enhancement program in Tennessee and it helps get bulls sold, so I try to make sure they all meet the criteria to qualify. But I still hope for heifers :)

I think I'm just wired toward the production segment, not necessarily so much the terminal end.

Limiman12

I think we see it the same.....  Bulls or steers are worth more NOW but heifers are an investment.  A $5k bull for a commercial guy or show steer makes you money now, but a similar quality heifer might not be "worth" that much right now, she might raise you a couple $5k bulls or steers, and might be the cow that jumps your herd to the next level.    With AI I have access to lots of great bulls, I want some good cows to breed em to.

Surely someone out there will give why they want a bull calf.

Blue Dog

I would cut him. Wanting to raise good steers for the grangkids. Wouldn't you know it, all heifers this year.