white hair help

Help Support Steer Planet:

cook beef

i have a whiye steer and he haves yellow stainson him  <cowboy> does anyone know how i can get them out <cowboy> (cow) <cowboy>

red

use a blueing soap like what you can get from Sullivan's. It's called Bright Lights. Or you can buy shampoo off counter for women w/ greying or silver hair.
Just leave it on for a couple of minutes & then rinse.

Red

kanshow

They make an actual stain remover - I have some in the tack shed - I'll try to get the name when I go back out.

We've also used peroxide & cornstarch - mix it so it is a paste & put it on there.  You'll want to condition the hair after that. 

linnettejane

had several white calves the past couple years and always get comments on how i keep them so white...fluffer hit the nail on the head...keep him clean!!!  keep the stall clean!!!  and i use sawdust for bedding....no staining from mulch...and then use some kind of blueing shampoo as red mentioned...i always use sullivan's bright lights or white lightening, i think they have one or two products....word of caution though...do not apply it directly to the animal and then start talking to someone before scrubbing it in....i got a little distracted one day at the wash rack at a show and ended up with pink lines down my heifers back where i had squirted it on her and then started talking to someone....now i always put it on my brush and scrub it in....once its scrubbed in, you can let it set for a few minutes....

thepoorfarm

Weekly hair care, Palmolive "Oxy" dish soap works real good, then bluing shampoo, but I think the key is keeeping them clean and dry, but after you wash be sure to put some short of oil or conditioner back in (ie Revive, Show sheen,  or Lusters Pink ethinic hair care) When you wash all the time, you end up stripping the hair making it easier to stain. Learned that leason with our first shorthorn  ;)

OH Breeder

Some of the ladies may or may not remember Deft a detergant for baby diapers. It is great for white cattle. We have always had shorthorns and so we have always had wihte or white spots to keep clean. i learned a few years back the liquid oxy clean sprayed on and soak also will brighten the hair. You can buy the large jug of liquid oxy and put it in a spray bottle. Wet the calf down and spray the spots let sit a few minutes. Bright lights works but doesn't always bring up the stained areas. So, with that, Deft detergant and oxy.