white hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

cook beef

i have just gotten my 1st shorthorn steer.  how do i keep his whites white. :))) (cow)

pigguy

if it rains, or even looks like it will, put them in the barn, keep their bedding clean(no poo no matter what) whash once a week  with sullivans bright lights shampoo

red

like Maines12 said, keep it clean in the first place w/ dry bedding. Also any shampoo for grey hair works real well to. just keep at it!

Red

(welcome) cook beef!

SWMO

We show Charolais.  Keep em clean ;D  Brite lights on the stained spots and rinse rinse rinse.

knabe

speaking of white hair, has anyone noticed on breeds turned black there is a faint line of white hairs from the anus to scrotum, kinda like the underneath is stretching to show their "true" colors.  never noticed if angus have this or not.  both of my steers this year have/had it.

knabe

black steer by draft pick out of a solid black direct midas cow powerplant on the bottom
black steer by bk negotiator (black) out of a solid black hall's legacy plus cow, backdraft on the bottom

seen it countless times in college on black steers with ildeno (white haired chi) as sire.

OH Breeder

first CONGRATS on the shorty!. White is hard to keep clean. If you don't keep the poop off then it will yellow. There is a trick. you can take the spray on Oxy Clean liquid on spots and let sit for 15 minutes. Then wash with any gray hair shampoo. If you go to a beauty supply place they have all kinds of shampoo's cheaper than some of the show supply places. White hair yellow's easily if not kept clean. If it does go yellow, you mix blueing in a dilution and spray on and let set but be very cautious with this because if you mix too strong or leave on too long they will keep the blue and look like a smurf. If you know what smurf's are or am I showing my age.

pigguy

OH Breeder said:
first CONGRATS on the shorty!. White is hard to keep clean. If you don't keep the poop off then it will yellow. There is a trick. you can take the spray on Oxy Clean liquid on spots and let sit for 15 minutes. Then wash with any gray hair shampoo. If you go to a beauty supply place they have all kinds of shampoo's cheaper than some of the show supply places. White hair yellow's easily if not kept clean. If it does go yellow, you mix blueing in a dilution and spray on and let set but be very cautious with this because if you mix too strong or leave on too long they will keep the blue and look like a smurf. If you know what smurf's are or am I showing my age.
the smurfs were frekain awsome. NOT ;D ok well maybe a little bit :-\

knabe

speaking of white hair, has anyone noticed on breeds turned black there is a faint line of white hairs from the anus to scrotum, kinda like the underneath is stretching to show their "true" colors.  never noticed if angus have this or not.  both of my steers this year have/had it.

here's a pic of what i mean.  on this one, it's very faint.

Attachments

• hairline.jpg
    hairline.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 573

Rocky Hill Simmental

Sullivan's Bright Lights for sure. You wouldn't believe how well it works. I'll put just a little on my white faced heifers faces and it eleminates that yellowed look. It even gets the white tail tips that have been stained competely. I've never shown charolais and shorthorns (I did show a yellow char x simmie though and it really helped her alot) but it really makes a difference on any breed with white on them.