Who is going to their state fair this year?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Well, I got my chopping brochure done & it hot outside.
Was curious on how many people show at their state fair or go to out of state to others?
We've always shown at the Ohio state fair w/ our Maines. Last year we entered but because of health problems didn't go. I think it was the first time in over 8 years we missed it. This year I'm not entering. Our heifers are just too green & I believe in showing them as the age they are. It seems that every year we show againist other that have to be 3 months or older. I think this year we're going to wean them a little later & take our time on breaking them.
Who else is going to their state fair? If you go, what are you planning on taking? Do you stay in a camper or motel? I always loved the state fair time. Never saw any of the fair grounds but the beef barn but that was fine w/ me!

Red

shortyjock89

We're definately going to ours!! It's one of my favorite times.  We're taking our Shorthorns of course, and possibly an Appendix.  Maybe take the steer, not sure yet. And we're taking the bullcalf we bought from Stuart McFarland (Dooling1).  We might go to the Iowa state fair.  We're not sure what we would take or if we're going yet...hopefully we will!!

char

we will be going to the ohio state fair.....alli's steer is an aob but we will show him as a xbred....and meghan's is a maine....plus the kids are taking our prospect calves to show on sunday....we did take our breeding animals (maine) last year...my husband and the girls...i had to stay home and work....but he really enjoyed it...he said it is more relaxed and a little less people than when the market animals get down there....but it is a lot of work...for him and us back at home...but like you said red....we are not sure if we will have anything to take and they are still a little green.....oh by the way is anybody going to the BEST banquet on 6/9/07 in columbus??????  talk to ya soon...char

red

I always liked the prospect steer show on sunday. Maybe we'll try to get down for that this year. The open shows are really nice. It is a lot more relaxed that the steer shows. Plus the breeders do a good job of displaying their animals.

Red

sjcattleco

Hey red

i was curious if showing at the OSF was any better than it used to be??? We showed there several years and it was always a hassel from the troopers.. Hurry up hurry up.. how long are you going to be there?? when do you plan to move the truck..And you are just busting yourself to haul all your crap and pile it in your stall space and move into tieouts so you can get parked!  It was like you were in the way and should have just stayed home... Was wondering if it got any better?? Now that Cody is 9 we might plan to go up next year.....

Thornberry

We will be headed to the Wisconsin state fair 3rd. year for my daughter to show.  I truly enjoy being there when the breeders are there for the open show.  My daughter is to young yet for the jr. show must be 12.  Also our state fair grounds is home to the world beef expo in Sept.  And we stay at the same hotel.  I told my wife if she would buy another truck she could then by a camper.  LOL ::)  That went over like a lead balloon!  Jim

red

sjcattleco said:
Hey red

i was curious if showing at the OSF was any better than it used to be??? We showed there several years and it was always a hassel from the troopers.. Hurry up hurry up.. how long are you going to be there?? when do you plan to move the truck..And you are just busting yourself to haul all your crap and pile it in your stall space and move into tieouts so you can get parked!   It was like you were in the way and should have just stayed home... Was wondering if it got any better?? Now that Cody is 9 we might plan to go up next year.....

I never had much trouble but we always moved in when it was really early in the morning. Never tried to fight all the people moving in the night before. The only time we had troubles moving out was one year a big hog livestock hauler parked his semi right in front of our tie-outs. He left to go watch the hog show. when it was time to release us we couldn't get out because he was blocking us. They tried to locate him but never found him. The people from the fair office ended up helping us move out w/ golf carts & such. other than that never had any issues.

Red

Show Heifer

I'm going to our ISF (Iowa State Fair), but not taking anything.....just not "there" yet to be in the ring. But might have a few breeders out. I wouldn't miss the fair for nothing....people always laugh as I can spend 4-5 days at the fair, and never make it past the Ag building! OK, I usually make it to the really great cinnamon roll place up by the grand stand!
Love the sheep barn (when the Jr.'s are out - I'm sorry, that's a whole other story), and enjoy the cattle barn. The ag building has the big veggies, and homemade fudge shop (probably miss that this year - diet thing ya know!) But also houses the Dairy Assoc Ice Cream shop and that is a MUST.  Also have to see the Butter Cow. NEVER miss that.
I used to camp in a pup tent and loved it, but now, must admit I get a hotel now. Shows my age!!
In all my years of going to the ISF, I have NEVER made it to the carnival.....those carney workers scare me!!

Showcalves

Not sure what all we're taking just yet.  I entered one Chi heifer for Mike so we could get a camping site.  Boys will show the rest.  We usually try to take 3 chis, 2 crossbreds and 2 maines.  Have 5 shows in 3 days that way!

Melinda

bluegrass

Guess we are going again but I am dreading the hassle of it all. The kids love it though and deserve the trip after working all summer to get ready. I have been to several others and have found that ours is the worst one going. I love going to the State fairs in the south, they are much more relaxed and friendly. Seems the farther south you go the better. Haven't been to MO. State fair for many years but it was a blast back in the mid 90s.

DLD

We have two "state fairs" here in OK.

The State Fair of Oklahoma is in Oklahoma City - there's a pretty good little prospect show, and the junior heifer shows that are held that weekend (if a breed has an open show, their junior show is held with it) also have some numbers and are really competitive. Only a few breeds have kept up enough numbers to still have an open show, and all but a couple of them wouldn't have if almost all of the junior heifers didn't show in the open show, too. For a long time they ran the fair for three full weekends and the two weeks in between, so in an effort to always have some cattle there, they made them stay for 5 or 6 days. That cost them alot of cattle, plus the last few years there's always major construction going on, in OKC's "at any cost" effort to keep the horse show people happy, which makes it all a pain, plus the facilities are becoming almost entirely geared for horses, with other livestock just having to make do. Everything is enclosed, making it really hot for a September show, and things like washracks are inadequate in size and condition. They tell us it'll be better when the new construction is complete - I hope so... And now we're back to a 10 day run, so that helps alot, too. We haven't gone in like 4 years, but with as many heifers and prospects as we have on feed right now, I expect we'll feel the need to take some this year.

The Tulsa State Fair is where our junior market show and premium sale is, and it's pretty much "the" state fair in OK. Facilities are only about 5 years old, and really nice. All of the open class are in the first weekend, junior market shows during the week, and junior breeding the second weekend. The market steer show doesn't have real big numbers, because most everyone here is more geared toward the spring shows, but the other shows will fill the barns. We'll be there with a Hereford market steer, a Simmental heifer for the futurity showback and junior show, and probably another heifer or two in the junior show...

I've never been to any of the northern State Fairs, but it's hard for me to believe some of you guys never leave the cattle barns... I avoid the midway like the plague too, but I kinda like to make a pass through the buildings. Gotta check out the new cars and trucks and atv's and stuff... Plus, where else am I gonna buy a whole set of genuine Ginsu knives for only $9.95 ? O0

David

justme

Were going to the MO state fair.  I'm there almost 10 days (pray for me everyone!)  Taking sheep first 4 days, go home pick up the cattle and go back...

Taking Maine and maintainer heifers.  Maybe a red hardcore bull also.

jason

I usually just go to the Kansas State Fair, but sometimes make it for a day over to the Missouri side.

Jill

Just a note to brag on the Kansas State Fair a little, 8 (I think) years ago a core group of conserned folks got together and decided to try a make a difference in the state fair.  They found sponsors for the Jr. market animals and set out to turn the shows around. The numbers turned around and they were able to attain funding to rebuild the beef barn a few years ago.  This year they are rebuilding the sheep and swine buildings and they should be completed by fair time.  The Jr. breeding shows this year are also adding prize money for the champion and reserve and prizes for breed champions.  We applaud the efforts of those folks that have done such a nice job of turning this into a really nice show, and invite all of you to come see our fair this year.  (clapping)

bluegrass

The South Carolina State Fair has been one of our favs for the last several years, they really cater to the livestock exhibitors and the "Green Room" is awsome not to mention they stick the horses way in the back of every thing else. Its the exact opposite of our state fair that's why we like it so much. Tenn. State Fair is cool because they don't make you stay but 2 days.