Who is thinking of going to their Junior Nationals?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Since a lot of the breeds need to have the calves in the junior's name in May, I was curious on how many where planning on going to theirs this year? For me it was some of our best times as a family. I loved going to the different states for the Junior Maine-Anjou shows. Problably went to some states that we would have never have gone otherwise. For us, it was our family vacation.
Are you planning on going this year? If so where & what are you thinking of taking? If you're past those days- what did you enjoy about the shows you went too?
I remember we tried to bring back a jar of soil from each show. We have the red clay from Texas and also soil from S Dakota & OK. Met so many good people too.

Red (cow)

LinZ

I'm going to Eastern Regionals for SImmys in GA..Maybe nationals and sweepstakes in KY. I'm taking a cow/calf pr and at least one purebred heifer.

LinZ

char

we had thought about taking my daughter's steer.. to the simmi in KY...but they have changed it now and you have to be at least a 1/2 blood i think and he is only 1/4....maybe next year...char

justme

My daughter and son are hoping to go the Maine Anjou Jr. Nationals.  My 4 year old is taking a prospect steer out of Hard Core named John Steere and Danielle is taking a nice Stockman heifer and a bull calf

Hopefully!!!

red

justme said:
My daughter and son are hoping to go the Maine Anjou Jr. Nationals.  My 4 year old is taking a prospect steer out of Hard Core named John Steere and Danielle is taking a nice Stockman heifer and a bull calf

Hopefully!!!

you'll have to make him one of those "John Steere" shirts. I got one at Ohio's expo this year.

Red

AAOK

I guess my wife and I will be in Lawton, OK this June for a least a few days of "Where the Great Plains Meet the Great Maines".  NO kids, so NO entries anymore, but we will be helping with some of the contests.  We made every Jr. Nat'l Maine-Anjou Show from 1991- 2000 as the family vacation, and then just the two of us 2001-2003, & 2005.  The greatest memories are all the Friends for Life we all made throughout the years.  I just can't figure our how I never met RED!!!!  Our girls are now married and having girls of their own, but are finding their old Nationals running mates all the time on MY SPACE.

Other fond memories and Fun were the Contests: twice a National Team Grooming, once Res. Once a First in Public Speaking, one First in Salesmanship, many placings in Photography, 12 Heifer Division Champions if I've counted correctly.  But, the Sweetest of all is in our Avatar Picture - Reserve National Champion Heifer, Grand Champion Bred & Owned Heifer.  That one was in South Dakota.  We even had another Bred & Owned heifer that was the Junior Calf Champion.  The only two calves in the drive that were not purchased, and the only two not touched by a hired fitter.  Let me tell you, that's when you really realize what you've accomplished.

There is NO better way to spend a week of your Summer.  Our girls learned how to be winners at everything they tackle.  Much of that drive, tenacity, and leadership was due to the Junior National events.

Make sure you take your kids to one THIS SUMMER!!!!  Don't wait 'til next year.

BTW: I have two heifers that sure need a new home.
Dan

red

Dan- If I can find a ride out to OK this year, I might just try to make it! We're busy chopping about that time so don't think I can get hubby to bring me.
I'm like you, I loved watching the contests. I always enjoyed when some of the adults did the skits or the adult showmanship. It was so funny seeing some of them coming out in wigs & high heels!
Good times, good food, great cattle & wonderful memories!

Red

AAOK

Say Red.  Did you go to Texas in 1999?  I got kicked out of Adult Showmanship (black curly wig, tweety bird sweatshirt, and smiley face boxers) for by leading my heifer without a halter.  I could just pull on her ear.  I won the Adult Talent Contest with my Animal Sounds.

Man, that stuff was fun, and ..................soooooo embarrassing to my kids!!!!

red

AAOK said:
Say Red.  Did you go to Texas in 1999?  I got kicked out of Adult Showmanship (black curly wig, tweety bird sweatshirt, and smiley face boxers) for by leading my heifer without a halter.  I could just pull on her ear.  I won the Adult Talent Contest with my Animal Sounds.

Man, that stuff was fun, and ..................soooooo embarrassing to my kids!!!!

YES!!!!! We were there! Oh, I bet your kids died! Did you have the fake boobs too? I remember some that had them. Those were the best of times. I got a laugh just by thinking about it.
I remember how the waterfalls were all red from the dirt.
Alright- anyone going from Ohio that needs an extra hand for the Maine Junior Nationals- look me up!!!

Red

shortdawg

I'm thinking about going if we are not cutting watermelons by then. We usually start around  June 5th-10th , so it will be close.

Showcalves

We took the boys to Texas last year but just can't make the trip back down to Lawton this year.  Wish it were in Tulsa or OKC. 
BSC

Jill

We are going to Maine Jr. Nationals in Lawton, we will be taking a cow/calf pair, a fall born heifer, a maintainer heifer, a bred and owned high % heifer and we are still debating the bred and owned steer.

We pulled my niece and nephew to every Jr. Nationals from 1994-2000 and 2002, took a couple of years off and restarted again in 2005 with our 3 boys.  I don't think there is anything you can do as a group, family or whatever that is more rewarding than spending that week at Jr. Nationals.  The kids have participated in everything, except the cook off, it wasn't around in the old days, we've won alot, lost alot and had a great time doing both.  It is like nothing else you will ever experience in your life and I encourage anyone considering it to make the effort to be there.  The friendships and memories are with these kids (and adults) for a lifetime.

Jill

My bad, I was looking at old pictures and we were there in 2001, I guess we just missed 2003 and 2004.

red

Just figured it up & we were at the Maine's 1997-2000. We also went to watch the 2001 in Terra Haute because we had a heifer showing there with someone else.

Red

justme

We went to the Maine Nationals 2 years ago in Springfield Missouri...I was told not to use that as a comparison lol.  My daughters excited and wants to go, but is still a little timid around her heifer.  We'll have to take our time and see how it goes.

AAOK

justme said:
We went to the Maine Nationals 2 years ago in Springfield Missouri...I was told not to use that as a comparison lol.  My daughters excited and wants to go, but is still a little timid around her heifer.  We'll have to take our time and see how it goes.

We happened to be up close to Springfield and stopped to watch show days.  The facilities are not great, but were not all that bad.  I think the biggest problem was that the Missouri group just didn't have enough help.  A very few people did all the work. 

The two largest Maine-Anjou Jr. Nationals ever were 1993, and 2000, both in Oklahoma.  My wife and I have pretty much backed out, but there is a large contingent working feverishly to insure that the Lawton show will be the Biggest,and Best Maine-Anjou event ever.  The Great Plains Coliseum in Lawton has been completely revamped and expanded.  the facilities are great!  Money is a key, and the fund raising has been incredible.  Look for prizes to be way beyond expectations.

Come one, come all.  Our Oklahoma kids need some competition.  Of course you know, Oklahoma has won the State Sweepstakes 15 times in the past 16 years.

chambero

Its only a little over an hour away for us, but my wife just started a new job, we just started building a new house, and I can't be there all week.