Who Made Who

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

Alrighty, I hope nobody gets too annoyed because I am sure this has been discussed 100 times before.  What are the birthweights on WMW?  What type of females does he work on?
I saw a few WMW calves and if they were any representation of the Who calves, I would never use him!  They posessed no thickness whatsoever....so they would have needed to REALLY be fed just to finish.  I will admit they had the bone, hair, and width of base, but just no thickness.  I am sure WMW works excellent on the right female.  Describe her to me...lol.  By the way, I have a friend who would be using him on Maine/Blk Simmy/Angus influence heifers.

Jill

I haven't ever been impressed with him on any of mine, ours are Maine, Mainetainer and Angus, but he obviously works on something to have that kind of longevity

kane1598

I have seen many, many who's over the years and the good ones are good and the bad ones are really bad. I have tried to feed three of those good steer calves and only one made it to the show ring, and he was a dandy.  The cows that I have seen him work are larger framed simmys and sim-angus with alot of middle and SOUNDNESS.  If the female is even a little straight in her shoulder or out her hock, stay away.  I also think he can make round muscled calves on thick, clubby type females, so a real maternal looking female is what I would use him on.  I am not sure about birthweights, but I have heard they are moderate.  A good who female is a great asset in a clubby herd.

oakbar

IMO He seems to work best on larger framed, very sound cows.  His calves have had some soundness issues IMO.  I personally would never breed him to a smaller framed cow or anything that is at all straight in the shoulder or hock.  His good calves are very good and I agree that a few of his females are very good cows.  Actually there's more of them than I thought there would be a few years ago.  Calves tend to be moderate in size, although like most bulls, I've also heard of some monsters.  I wouldn't consider him a consistent calving ease bull although many people have used him on hiefers.

OH Breeder

If you get a female out of him they are super cows. Use on a moderate to larger framed sound cow. He seems to clean up the front end and give some more neck. SOme depth of body won't hurt. I bred a WMW x Maine back to Macho and have a super heifer. She is going to be nice.

DCC_Cattle

I have always used WMW on my heifers because birthweights are normally low (75-80 lbs.). He seems to work best on Simmental influenced cows that are very sound. I have never had an issue with soundness, but I know others have. My best black cow is a WMW.

CTM

Bawndoh said:
Alrighty, I hope nobody gets too annoyed because I am sure this has been discussed 100 times before.  What are the birthweights on WMW?  What type of females does he work on?
I saw a few WMW calves and if they were any representation of the Who calves, I would never use him!  They posessed no thickness whatsoever....so they would have needed to REALLY be fed just to finish.  I will admit they had the bone, hair, and width of base, but just no thickness.  I am sure WMW works excellent on the right female.  Describe her to me...lol.  By the way, I have a friend who would be using him on Maine/Blk Simmy/Angus influence heifers.
We use him alot, sell  Most steers out of him,  His daughters make nice cows  He has worked successfuly in my herd.

OH Breeder

WMW x 3C Macho heifer end of March "Cricket" : She came small and was up and going without a problem. Growing good.

Dam is in the back ground on this second picture. She is WMW x Angus

Attachments

• Cricket Head Up .jpg
    Cricket Head Up .jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 327
  • Wing Nut and Who back ground.jpg
    Wing Nut and Who back ground.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 352