Who Makes a Good Creep Feed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

herefordfootball

I was wondering what everyone went with for creep feed (brand wise). We're using ADM, but I think I wanna step it up a notch and get something a little more appealing to the calves and has more value to the feed. Any suggestions? Also if you could include a link, I"d appreciate that. Thanks!!!

Chris

AAOK

I always used my Show Ration for creep, but I would wean no later than 3-4 months, and as early as 2 months if I thought the calf was going to be a great one.  It's always been my theory that the earlier you get them going on grain, the better the muscle develoment and growth.

cowboybecoachin

We use Martindale 14 % creep pellets, but we improve it. Our creep  feeders are mostly 1 ton. We put in the first 20 bags, then 50 lb. of calf manna and 50 lb. of corn chops. Then repeat and fill the feeder. Works good  and calves like it better. The corn chops and calf manna is smaller and will filter down through the larger pellets. Not real expensive.

jalebe

We use a ration of 200 lbs corn, 200 lbs oats, 100 lbs Purina Grand 4 T fyer & 25 lbs of liq molasses. We feed this right through after weaning. You could add more molasses to help get them started.

herefordfootball

Thanks everybody for your responses so far. I think I'm going to go with Umbarger or what Jalebe suggested. Jims' mixture sounds pretty good. We've got an Umbarger dealer not to far from us, but I just have to check the prices first.

JAG

I got AAOK's recipe off of here last year, and I must say that the calves really bloomed on it!

kanshow

Those of you who early wean, do you need to raise the fat in the ration or is your normal show ration enough?

AAOK

JAG said:
I got AAOK's recipe off of here last year, and I must say that the calves really bloomed on it!

Glad to hear it!  what mineral are you using?

JAG

AAOK said:
JAG said:

Glad to hear it!  what mineral are you using?

Currently we're using Crystalix, but we're thinking of switching to Moormans.

nck21

herefordfootball said:
We're using ADM, but I think I wanna step it up a notch and get something a little more appealing to the calves and has more value to the feed.
Chris

Herefordfootball, did the ADM work for you at all? We're starting to creep and planning on using the ADM 14% protein ration. I think it's pelleted.

herefordfootball

We were going to go a different route, but we decided to stick with ADM. nck21 we are using 18% calf starter. The calves only wanted to eat what the cows were getting, so we are mixing the creep and cow half and half and weaning them onto them onto the full time creep. IMO the 18% isnt the best creep feed they could get, but its convenient to get and the calves are cleaning it up pretty decent. I was getting worried because they weren't eating the creep, but I think they were kinda young to be having that creep feed appetite.

Also I would go with a higher percent protein for your creep feed. jmo They have an 18 and 20 percent in creep feed that I know of, I'd go with one of those. jmo

shorthorngirl2010

We use High Noon 505 to start everything on feed. Not sure we have had one that WON'T go right to it. After the heifers are eating that good, Ill switch them to the 202, which is a heifer developer. If you're unsure if you have a HN dealer near you, they do have a website that you can locate dealers :)

ploughshare

cowboybecoachin said:
. Our creep  feeders are mostly 1 ton. We put in the first 20 bags, then 50 lb. of calf manna and 50 lb. of corn chops.

What are corn chops??

nck21

herefordfootball said:
We were going to go a different route, but we decided to stick with ADM. nck21 we are using 18% calf starter. The calves only wanted to eat what the cows were getting, so we are mixing the creep and cow half and half and weaning them onto them onto the full time creep. IMO the 18% isnt the best creep feed they could get, but its convenient to get and the calves are cleaning it up pretty decent. I was getting worried because they weren't eating the creep, but I think they were kinda young to be having that creep feed appetite.

Also I would go with a higher percent protein for your creep feed. jmo They have an 18 and 20 percent in creep feed that I know of, I'd go with one of those. jmo
Thank you for the advice. First year creeping and we need to get it out ASAP since a majority of the calves were born late February. Scott Garten (breeder of Smilin Bob) said he uses ADM pellets and his calves always look real good when we've seen them in the fall.

herefordfootball

nck21 said:
herefordfootball said:

Thank you for the advice. First year creeping and we need to get it out ASAP since a majority of the calves were born late February. Scott Garten (breeder of Smilin Bob) said he uses ADM pellets and his calves always look real good when we've seen them in the fall.

Cool. Whatever he's using would probaly be the way to go. Glad I could help!