Who to breed this Simmental heifer to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

CRS

I looked and this was the only picture of the Hammertime bull after he covered about 20 cows as a yearling, he's pretty rung out.  We had an Uno Mas we thought was bred to Hammertime, but ended up getting bred by another bull. 

Attachments

• Hammertime8.jpg
    Hammertime8.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 232

wypeterson22

It has been discussed on here before, but what do people think about Bush Unbelievable vs his sire SAV Bismarck? Any reason to use one over the other keeping this heifer in consideration? I have heard so many good things about both that I am just curious what people have found to work for them. From what I have seen of Bismarck, he works on the longer bodied females, and cleans up the neck. That appeals to me. Do ya go with Bismarck or Unbelievable?

Thanks!

Gargan

Bismark is a little easier fleshing than unbelievable.  Unbelievable will add more muscle however.  Imo,  bismark is the better bull to make lower maintenance,  eye appealing cattle. Bismarks females are very sought after. That's my $0.02 worth.

wypeterson22

From what I have seen and read, it seems like you are not the only one that thinks that Gargan. On another thread I saw someone say they have heard he can make them a little shallow footed. Think I would have any issues with her? Another Bismarck son Brilliance crossed my mind, and after digging I still landed on Bismarck. Am I crazy to throw brilliance out of the running?

Gargan

wypeterson22 said:
From what I have seen and read, it seems like you are not the only one that thinks that Gargan. On another thread I saw someone say they have heard he can make them a little shallow footed. Think I would have any issues with her? Another Bismarck son Brilliance crossed my mind, and after digging I still landed on Bismarck. Am I crazy to throw brilliance out of the running?
No, the brilliance cattle are really good imo. And you can get sexed hfr semen from ABS for $50

Gargan

wypeterson22 said:
So for this heifer: Brilliance or Bismarck?
That would be up to you. Bismark semen is harder to find. $50-100 for conventional,  $250ish for female semen. Brilliance is $25 conventional,  $50 for hfr and readily available thru ABS

WinterSpringsFarm

Man if I was looking to go Angus and make some big broody style females I believe I'd look at the pure beef catalog and pick out a couple Duff bulls.  Quite a few of them have caught my eye and I believe they could add power, softness, and a really good look.

wypeterson22

Yeah it is hard to argue with Duff's ability to put some power and flesh on them. Not a bad idea at all WSF. I'll certainly take a look, if not for this year then maybe next.

GoWyo

If you are in Wyoming and run at any elevation, pull up the entire pedigree on AAA and check the PAP EPDs on some of the Duff bulls and their relatives.  Maybe consider Conley South Point -- good foot and PAP EPDs.