Why are the prices so cheap at the Royal?

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

I am watching the sale on-line at the Royal and am amazed at how cheap these heifers are going for! Why? It looks like just the breed champions and reserve champs are being sold. So why so cheap?

firesweepranch

Here are the results. Seems cheap to me if you are talking Royal quality. Is this normal?

Heifers

Garten 161 Champion AOB $2700
Garten 154 Reserve Champion $2650
Vaught 135 Ch Maine $1900
Vaught 144 Reserve AOB $3500
Stithem 118 Reserve Maine $1600
Sievers 178 Res Comm $1100
Krefts 171 1st Comm $1000
Abrakadabra 134 2nd AOB $1400
Stithem 121 2nd Maine $900
Krefts 172 2nd Comm $1100
Swisher 183 2nd comm. $900
Bailey Ritter 129 3rd AOB $1200

Steers

Sievers 534 Grand Champ DIV 3 $4000
Sievers 551 Res Grand DIV1 $2400
Young 550 CH DIV II $1950
Sievers 546 Res Div3 $2000
Kahl 508 res div2 $2800
Stithem 547 res div 1 $1400
Sievers 536 2nd Div 3 $1850
Krefts 519 2nd Div3 $1500
Killion 511 2nd div 1 $600
Killion 510 2nd div 1 $500
Swisher 548 2nd div 2 $900
Bailey- Ritter 507 2nd div 2 $500

firesweepranch

Yep. The American Royal was live today on Live Auction TV, so I watched a bit of it, then watched the sale. Could not figure out why things were so cheap? I am not involved in that "world", but with the prices I have seen on here for animals I thought they were pretty cheap! We will be at the Royal next Sat/Sun, involved in the Simmental Royal sale and show, and prices for that have never been that cheap!
So, I was just wondering what others thought??? Normal or cheap? Why?

firesweepranch

Yes, what is "fancy Heifers?" Is that not the main show stuff? The sale had heifers and steers, so what was it and why was it so cheap?

Steered

I was not there this year but watched it on-line as you did.  In years past every calf sold.  This is not a very big show.  I think by looking at the placings that there may have only been 4 head to a breed and they broke them into 2 classes.  When the sale sheet said 2nd place maine (or AOB, comm etc.) it may have been second in a class of 2 head.  There have been a few calves that sold well when I have attended, but the majority have sold relativy cheap.  Yes it is the Royal, but that does not mean they are of a certain quality level.  I am more impressed with  some of the breed sales at the Royal.  The hereford heifers next saturday will sell for alot more than the fancy heifers. 

The fancy heifers are not apart of the Maine or Chi or any other breed show.  It is a separate sale for "clubby" heifers.  It is just a small show and sale.  The steers used to be that each consigner brought 3 head and they were judged as a pen.  Several years ago they started judging them as single entries and some consigners just bring 1 head.  In my opinion it is not the place to find the next great one.

firesweepranch

Thank you for clarifying! So, even though you have a registered Maine, you do not have to show with the Maine cattle? You can show is this separate 'fancy Heifer" division?  What is the purpose of it? That would explain the low prices, the quality was not as deep!
We have never shown at the Royal (this is just our third year showing cattle), but attended the Royal last year for the Simmental sale and show that followed, and I have to say that the quality was some of the best I have seen, so I was surprised with the fancy heifer sale.
We will be there this year,next Saturday and Sunday, my daughter is the Missouri Simmental Junior Princess, and she has to assist and give out awards! Just another excuse to go and see great cattle, IMO!

Steered

firesweepranch said:
So, even though you have a registered Maine, you do not have to show with the Maine cattle? You can show is this separate 'fancy Heifer" division?  What is the purpose of it?

As stunner stated it is a feeder calf show/sale that is geared more towards the "clubby" breeders and not the"breed" breeders.  I am only guessing, but the heifers that were announced to be papered Maine were probably low %.  The divisions were Maine, AOB and Commercial.  Basically these were matings that were probably meant to get steers from IMO.  The Maine sale at the Royal is usually embryo's and flushes, no live lots.  Like I said earlier, the breed sales (Simmi, Hereford etc) have much better quality and bring higher prices. 

Have fun at the show.

knabe

CAB

Over the years as the prices declined so has the quality of the calves offered. As you all kind of know, some of the best calves in the country have just been sold that are in the area. This is just my opinion. PPL won't take a calf there and not get fair market value.

knabe

there is no reason the top selling calves need to be at a sale.  if these sales have lost their utility because other avenues offer more profit, then the sales should wither. 

as far as the maine sale goes, i haven't wanted to bid on anything for quite a while, of course i'm interested in different stuff, so i'm not really a good indicator.

perhaps the sales have gotten to the point of an outlet to move animals, which is a good thing as well.

knabe

CAB said:
Knabe I thought that you might chasing the Sooner genetics!!!

Ha!  i don't chase, I lead.  yes, i have a sooner female, which leads me to start the following thread.

DLD

I was there - yes, that was all of the cattle that were entered in that show/sale, and yes quality was pretty soft.  There were a few nice individuals there that could go on and compete if they end up in the right hands.  There were also a few that just weren't show cattle at all.  In between there were several decent calves that could make nice starter and/or county fair calves (depending on how tough your county is, I guess). My take was that most of them brought the kind of money they deserved.

It was the first time I'd been in over 10 years.  Back in the pen of three steers days, we sold (and got along well) in this sale several times.  There were enough entries most years that the lowest quality entries didn't make the sale.  Of course back then the National FFA convention was in town at the same time, so it was handy for lots and lots of potential buyers that just aren't there anymore...

justme

We showed and sold in that sale for years, but the prices have dropped drastically in the past 4 years.  We are small producers and the sale was a nice place to get our calves out there since we don't have enough calves to have a sale.  With moving the breeding heifers to this week, we couldn't justify coming down twice.  It's a shame, seems like alot of the calves the past few years were "left overs"  and that hurts a sale.  Hopefully it'll come back around.

showsteer mom

You are alittle off on what the steers brought, The reserve brought 4000 as well as the champion and the 3rd steer to sell brought 2400, I was bidding on him so I am positive I know what he brought.

The numbers were way down and the quality was too in my opinion. There was three steers there that if you wanted to take a chance on you could, 2 of them had their faults and analyzing them in the future wasn't a chance I wanted to take.  The third one, was worth taking the chance. Just needing a county fair steer and he went to high to make it come out. Already 5 head at home and really didn't need him if I couldn't steal him. Two super nice heifers on top, they were both worth the money if you were shopping for heifers. Red and white heifer was nice, just alittle open behind her shoulders. She brought more that the top two.

Overall I was disappointed in the baby show this year. Maybe next year.

BGF

I think they need to get it back to a pen show and move it to the weekend.  Might get more people to come and bid that way.  Also, the commission was really high last time we took some, and you had to pay for all the normal show fees and they did not get credited towards commission like in most sales.