Why do people need a cooler room?

Help Support Steer Planet:

fordkindagirl

Do you really need a cooler room to grow hair? It just seems like a lot of space and money. Can't you just rinse and brush? My steer is getting wonderful hair ( 1 inch of growth in a couple days) and all I do is rinse him twice a day. And it's in 100 degree weather!The thing is I don't even care about his hair (all my shows are slick shows). So if it's as simple as that, why do people buy/build cooler rooms?

fordkindagirl

Zach said:
Because they help with more than hair. Also 1 inch in one day? No way
No, I don't think 1 inch in one day is possible. 1 inch in several days ( 3-5 days).
And what else do they help with?

showsteerdlux

I won't argue with you on having 2 inches of hair grow in 5 days but is it good hair? Thats the difference in hair and cooler hair. Cooler hair is usually thicker and better hair all around. I'll stick with the cooler, you stick with your slick shows.

fordkindagirl

showsteernc said:
I won't argue with you on having 2 inches of hair grow in 5 days but is it good hair? Thats the difference in hair and cooler hair. Cooler hair is usually thicker and better hair all around. I'll stick with the cooler, you stick with your slick shows.
It's very shiny and thick, and it "pops". And no need to get rude, was just wondering why people need cooler rooms.

knabe

to reduce endless brushing time, misting and other methods.  just seems to work better.  more power to them.

showsteerdlux

fordkindagirl said:
showsteernc said:
It's very shiny and thick, and it "pops". And no need to get rude, was just wondering why people need cooler rooms.
If thats rude then I may as well quit messing with cattle now. But when you use a cooler and have the right genetics, the cooler can make it a lot more comfortable to work the calves, keeps them eating a little better imo because of the constant temp. The cooler makes the whole process a lot easier, and a lot better in the end. You may be right about that hair in 100 degree weather, but thats mighty hard to believe.

fordkindagirl

Ok, let me clarify. I don't "hate" cooler rooms. Just wondering why a lot of people use them, like what they help, how they help, etc. And since my steer was growing hair so great just made me start thinking about it.

fordkindagirl

showsteernc said:
fordkindagirl said:
showsteernc said:
If thats rude then I may as well quit messing with cattle now. But when you use a cooler and have the right genetics, the cooler can make it a lot more comfortable to work the calves, keeps them eating a little better imo because of the constant temp. The cooler makes the whole process a lot easier, and a lot better in the end. You may be right about that hair in 100 degree weather, but thats mighty hard to believe.
Sorry, bein' over sensitive, lonnggg day. Just wanted to know more about coolers and why people use them.

shortyjock89

Just sayin. I would put my heifer's hair up against anyone's, and we don't have a cooler. Just gotta know what's up.

shortyjock89

Forgot to add that I would be glad to have a cooler, just haven't been able to work it out yet.

Plus, sometimes calves in a cooler get long, stringy hair, mostly if they're not worked enough.

SHAGGY

Keeping them cold will also increase appetite, plus around were im at good hair dont cut it, you better have AMAZING hair if you want to really compete. Just rinsing and brushing does work but they seem to plateau at a certain point then it becomes very hard keep up the growth rate. 

hamburgman

for us it's a time issue.  I can't be brushing calves all day, rinsing and paying the bills.  So we put them in the cooler, are able to look through the door and check the temp periodically when working on other stuff, and thought  I try to brush and blow them out everyday, it doesn't seem to be the end of the world if I lose a day or two.

showsteerdlux

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Just sayin. I would put my heifer's hair up against anyone's, and we don't have a cooler. Just gotta know what's up.
I think you've got the genetics part of everything going pretty good to. Haha. I agree about the comment that they can get crappy hair if they aren't worked enough. Around here they are getting washed 3-4 times/day depending on how hot it is (don't want to heat shock them), then brushing and roto brushing even more.

shortyjock89

showsteernc said:
Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I think you've got the genetics part of everything going pretty good to. Haha. I agree about the comment that they can get crappy hair if they aren't worked enough. Around here they are getting washed 3-4 times/day depending on how hot it is (don't want to heat shock them), then brushing and roto brushing even more.

I don't know a lot about showing in the southeast, but I imagine you guys got some of the best hair in your area.

Garrett

I was just searching around and found this post and thought i would comment on it. Genetics play a big part with hair in my mind. ive had plenty of calves that get worked the same way but some grow hair faster and better then others. Now on the topic of a cooler. Coolers help cattle with appetite the hair tends to be better. most people that have coolers already put alot of time in their calves. i agree that if u dont work hair on calves in the cooler then the hair they have isnt very good. Coolers do take up alot of time though and are hard work especially when u take the calves out of the cooler for fairs. I recently put in a small cool room. its nothing specail just a samll room that is insulated that has 2 turbos and a window unit in it and it will keep the room a good 65 degrees which is very manageable with me and my family when i am gone. ive been told that cooler calves can handle 20 degree difference so my cooler works really well in the summer when i take calves to my county fair and state fair. I use to do the whole rinse and brush eevryday all day thing and ive had success both ways but having that make shift cooler helps out alot and it allows me more time to work on other calves that arent in the cooler or gives me more time to work on babies to sell.

vc

We do not have a cooler our good friends do, My son rinsed and worked the hair 3 times a day for the last 90 days. Calves were kept in a stall with a swamp cooler and 3 fans from dark to dark. He got hair on the calves but nothing like the cooler hair, they rinse twice a day, real good with the hose and finish with water out of a freezer. Their calves had hair like it was January in North Dakota. 4 to 5 inches long, thick, and still popped. That is what a Cooler and working the hair does for you. I forgot to add good hair genetics with the cooler and working the hair.

Bradenh

fordkindagirl- i live in slick country like you and alot of the people around here have slick cattle in a cooler during the day. and turn em out at night when its still 90 degrees. anybody want to guess what happens when you mix durastic temp. differences and club calf joints? thats right the calves around here that stay in coolers are often cripple- you guys up north in haired shows. more power to you for a cooler because yall need it sometimes because maby if you arent blessed with alot of time. that may be the only way you have to grow hair. but i agree as well that if your in a slick show area down south. its an unnessicary feature to have. but different story whenyou go in the midwest or even oklahoma

AAOK

The question was............................Do you really need a cooler room to grow hair?  The answer is No, but it sure makes things easier!  Do you need a Grooming Chute to clip a calf?  No, but it sure makes things easier!  Do you need a Blow Dryer to dry hair?  No, but it sure makes it a lot easier!  I could go on and on, but you probably get the point.  Conveniences in life are everywhere.  People who can afford the things they want, have them, and so do most who can't afford them. (Individual debt in America is another post)

For the  eleven years our family was Showing, the thing I always wanted, but couldn't justify the price, was an Aluminum Chute.  If we were still in this business, since Cool Calf is just 39 miles down the road, I would most likely have a Cool Room, but I would still be using my $80 Steel Chute. 

cmmilc62

My family doesn't use a cool room and we have atleast 5 inches of hair every yr.  Rinse twice a day atleast.  Brush and train it well.  We were thinking about getting a cool room but decided against it because of all the poor health issues with the calves.  It is good for growing hair and at that better hair, but in a cool room you arr keeping your calves at about 45-60 degrees year round.  At the fair, you obviously cant take your cool room with you and fans arent cold enough.  This causes a great shock on the calves.  This is why we dont use one  <cowboy>