Why I like Livestock Shows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Joe Boy

I started showing as a freshman in high school in 1960.  O0  I have worked livestock shows ever since. I presently serve on two boards that sponsor livestock shows. My Dad is 84 and still serves on a board. My brother is a chairman of a livestock show. Our children have moved on to other things but we still help others children.
Why I like  livestock shows. 1. They have helped parents to develop children. 2. They have brought families together and helped them work together for a common goal. 3. They have brought new breeding programs that have improved the livestock. (The pigs, sheep and cattle we showed in 1960 would be put into isolation today as a freak show.) 4. They have given kids opportunities to achieve and develop skills. 5. They have brought rural America to the cities. 6. They have helped young people go to college. 7. They help young people develop work ethics under various circumstances in life and taught them to improvise to reach a common goal. 8. They teach goals. (cow)
Why do you like livestock shows? [flash=200,200][/flash]

red

Joe, we started showing when our daughter was in 4-H. although she's not around we still continue to show. I believe in my case it has kept me sane? & healthy. Many times when I've felt under the weather, I can go out & work w/ my heifers & come back feeling much better. Also I really like cattle people. I love to talk to them & see their projects. I enjoy working with young people & their families. If I can help someone out that needs a tame calf or assistance then I'm there for them. Currently working with a very nice family & young man right now. and finally, I continue to learn & grow from my efforts. We might not place the highest but I think we have some of the best times. If I can come away from a show with 1 new friend & 1 new idea I feel that I have truely won!
Thanks for the topic!
Red

Attachments

• Sami-AGR.JPG
    Sami-AGR.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 430

DL

Joe Boy - now I didn't realize you had BIG HAIR!

This is gonna kinda be a wierd response but here goes!
I really don't like showing anything - dogs, hosrse or cattle
as the "check in vet" for some of these events  I have had to deal with a lot of stuff I rather would not (I frequently call it parents behaving badly)  :(
It give a sour taste in my mouth, but I am cheered because often the child (kid, young adult) steps up to the plate while their parents are being idiots. I am amazed at how many times it is my fault because they cannot read the rules!!  ;D ;D

But, when I go to look for a student to help in one of "my other jobs" I look for 4H kids - people say how do you get these great kids, where do you find them?

I agree with everything you say and when I go to shows in the nonworking mode I really enjoy most of the people, meeting new people and seeing people I only see one time per year.  I love the Ohio Expo for just those reasons!

Hope life is good for you - glad to see you here! DL (cow) (Dairy cow....where's the BEEF!)

Joe Boy

DL,
I like to tease and no my hair is white and I keep it short, and it keeps itself short....but the 60's were the years of the hair. 

In the mid 70's when Maines were becoming more popular I was at San Angelo at the Fair.  I had been reading about the Maines and went to see if any were there.  This lady was really working hard with her heifer.  I told her that her heifer was the beefiest Holstein I had ever seen.  She almost hit me with the water hose, trying to tell me it was a Maine.  I told her I knew what it was and came just to see it.  She gradually cooled down and we had a great visit....at least on my part. 

How did someone no larger than you are get such a large bruise?.... down here we say as big as Dallas......

Joe Boy

Red,
Mark was sure young in the photo. :D

Did you pick him young and train him, like the heifers? (lol)

red

Joe Boy said:
Red,
Mark was sure young in the photo. :D

Did you pick him young and train him, like the heifers? (lol)
(lol) Joe Boy, I pick them young!
No, that is the young man I'm helping with this year. it was the first time he showed our heifer & she wouldn't set-up for him for the picture. Don't look at that old bird in it, just the boy & the heifer!!
Red

mlk32

Why do I like shows?  The people you meet!  Without the shows, the opportunity to interact with fellow cattle people is diminished.  That is my 10 year old nephew in the picture with Red and she has given him a great chance to improve his showmanship.  He has been in the ring four times with that heifer and our family has been amazed at his progress and the increase in his self confidence.  Without Red's kind offer to let him show "Sami", he might not have gotten that chance.  Red has also been showing us the "ropes" which makes the showing process much less intimidating.

I realize there are some unsavory characters in the cattle business but when you spend time with good cattle and good people like Red, it makes the experience worthwhile for everyone. 

I will also add, it weren't for boards like this, Red and I might not have crossed paths!

red

(welcome)
Ah Michelle, I have enjoyed Jake so much too! Still can't decide where he gets his quite side from though!!
Thanks,
Red