Why the big secret on pricing??

Help Support Steer Planet:

dlwardell

Why do most of the sellers have you PM for pricing?  Seems if you really want to sell your animals, you will post the price along with the information and hopefully a picture and the location.  If your price is firm, put firm.  If you are open to discussion, put OBO.  Seems it would be a lot easier for those looking and save time for the sellers!

Just my opinion.....

feeder duck

90% of the time I do not post price on here because you get individuals that want to conduct the entire sale be this forum. I have found that if they are truly interested in the animal they will call. I am all for younger members asking questions and I will do my best to answer then in a timely manner. What you will find in some cases are very young members window shopping.  PM is a very private way to ask question and it is great, but at some point verbal communication must take place. I will not consider an animal sold by someone saying "I will take her/him" on this post. Hope that gives you some idea as to why I personally conduct business the way I do. Selling is much more detailed than buying. 

TJ

I've purchased lots of animals off of the "net".  However, unless I know the person or have a good feel for them, I rarely bother contacting someone unless a price is posted, but that is just me.  Not posting a price "publically" gives me bad vibes that the "seller" might raise &/or lower the price depending upon who is contacting them.  Guess I've been around too many "traders & jocks", because not posting a price is a major turn off for me.     

Chap

i don't post prices on here, because I want to have contact with the people that are truly interested.  Lots of Lurkers out there, that are just nosey.  I have numerous customers that don't want the prices they paid for calves publicized for various reasons and I feel the same about selling them.  I will make adjustments for people depending on the situation.  Picked up today with your own trailer is worth a little discount than me delivering 200 miles in a month.  This is how I prefer to do business, but don't mind others  pricing publicly.  Some times I like it, it gives me a good indication of what mine might actually be worth.  Always better to have the competition show his hand first.

6M Ranch

I posted this exact same message before on here.  If I can't afford the animal, I won't waste your or my time by sending a PM.  Post the price.  If it changes, go back and edit your posting.  I also don't understand the reasoning for not posting prices. 

Jill

Have to agree with TJ on this one, if the price isn't posted I wouldn't bother calling, I just assume it's high or they wouldn't mind quoting a price. 

feeder duck

Jill said:
Have to agree with TJ on this one, if the price isn't posted I wouldn't bother calling, I just assume it's high or they wouldn't mind quoting a price. 

So  for those of you that will not call if the price is not posted what do you do when you read the Livestock Exhibitor or the Show Circuit. Do you just not call at all.Those are for sale ads. How does this forum differ. There are times I may post a photo that is not a  clipped out photo with no price. I may not know where I stand until I get them in the barn this late in the season. I post prices most of the time  so most know where I stand. You really should not assume! ;) You might be wrong! I see both sides but I'm gonna keep doing what works for us.

Jeff

SKF

As a buyer I prefer that the price not be posted because I feel it is no ones business what I paid.  I have never not called because the price is not posted.

Jill

I guess to kind of redefine my answer, it goes probably far beyond pricing, I have never purchased an animal on the internet with the exception of 1 bull I bought from someone I had done business with for years.  The internet is a great tool and for some may be a great way to shop, it is just something I am probably not comfortable with, very few pictures of animals I have seen intice me to buy, I may attend a sale based on one I want to check out, but that is probably as far as I would go.

SKF

We have purchase several of our cattle off the internet and so far have not had a bad experience.

doubled

I agree with what Jeff is saying, I dont like to post prices either cause sometimes when people come to look at the calves, things have changed and also some people like to dicker on the
price afer they get there, sometimes we do move a little downward.  Its just not good business to pre post your prices without talking to the individual first, I like to ask them questions like what are they really looking for, their age, and their price requirements, or budget, sometimes we may have something else to fit what they really want that has not even been advertised.  Especially on the younger kids its better to ask some questions first.  I also dont like selling and telling, its also not good business we try not to revel exactly what a calf has brought in our sale without the
owners permission first.  If  you are really sincere and really interested it shouldnt bother you to PM someone and get to know them personally first.

harley

justamom said:
I agree with what Jeff is saying, I dont like to post prices either cause sometimes when people come to look at the calves, things have changed and also some people like to dicker on the
price afer they get there, sometimes we do move a little downward.  Its just not good business to pre post your prices without talking to the individual first, I like to ask them questions like what are they really looking for, their age, and their price requirements, or budget, sometimes we may have something else to fit what they really want that has not even been advertised.  Especially on the younger kids its better to ask some questions first.  I also dont like selling and telling, its also not good business we try not to revel exactly what a calf has brought in our sale without the
owners permission first.  If  you are really sincere and really interested it shouldnt bother you to PM someone and get to know them personally first.

I whole heartily agree with justamom and with SKF.  As a buyer, I don't want any one to know what I paid for an animal.  I like it much better when they spread the rumor that I paid $30,000 for a $2,500 heifer!  As a seller, I usually have a base price, but that is subject to change, (hold on to your hats) depending upon who you are.  If you're someone that takes your new calf home, turns him out in a pen with a couple of cows that are going to calve, and last years show heifer, that you are going to try to AI, then my price isn't coming down.  More than likely the calf isn't going to get the care it needs to do any good and it's only going to reflect badly on the breeder...me.  Especially when you'll probably take every opportunity to tell anyone that will listen how I sold you a sorry calf.  I just don't need that kind of publicity.  On the other hand, if I know you are going to take the calf home, take care of it like it needs to be taken care of, and get it out there and show it, then I'm likely to cut you a break on the price.  If you do well with your calf, someone is going to ask where you got it, and hopefully, you'll give them my name, and that's good advertisement.  I guess I'm afraid that if I post a $4,000 price for a heifer, that really hard working kid that can't afford that much, won't give me a call, and I'll miss the opportunity to say "hey, you do a really good job with your calves, could you afford $2,000?"  This makes sense to me, so for now it's how I do business, guess there is no pleasing everyone.

Jill

Nothing wrong with that, and I guess in my mind there isn't a right or wrong way of doing it, it's whatever works for you.  I will agree, I don't want anyone knowing what I pay for anything whether I buy private treaty or at an auction.

OH Breeder

I am with Jeff et all on this one. Quiet frankly I deal with the individual. For those of you who say they don't have a different price, I don't agree. I will make exceptions for kids who are getting started or who will do the work and is getting a good home. The price is between the buyer and me. There are lots of "jocks" who like to buy low and resell. I know there is allot of traffic on this board. YOu can get a feeling for those types and i wouldn't move on price for them.
There are folks who just consistently post ..."whats the price?" you reply and they never reply. If I am motivated and truly interested, I will PM folks on price and I have bought several cattle over the internet. Some sight unseen. So far good luck.( I know, I should knock on wood)

forcheyhawk

I can see both sides.  However, most of the time I don't feel like prodding to get the price of an animal.  I've heard a lot of stories of calves getting run up on people through these private treaty auctions because the steer jock knows that the customer has some bucks or doesn't like to lose bids.  So, I don't think either side will want to publicize that too much and I don't blame them.  The buyer doesn't want to brag about getting screwed and finding out that the next high bid on his 20,000 steer was 5000 and the seller doesn't want the buyer to know that the bid was only 5000.  ;D

OH Breeder

forcheyhawk said:
I can see both sides.  However, most of the time I don't feel like prodding to get the price of an animal.  I've heard a lot of stories of calves getting run up on people through these private treaty auctions because the steer jock knows that the customer has some bucks or doesn't like to lose bids.  So, I don't think either side will want to publicize that too much and I don't blame them.  The buyer doesn't want to brag about getting screwed and finding out that the next high bid on his 20,000 steer was 5000 and the seller doesn't want the buyer to know that the bid was only 5000.   ;D

I think there is a big difference between posting on SP Classifieds and hosting your own private treaty auction. If you are holding an auction it implies  "to me"    that the bids will be made public. I have participated in phone auctions with honest folks and a couple honest steer jocks. I did not have a problem. I will ask the buyer if they mind me publicizing the price of the animal. If they want it to remain private so be it.

forcheyhawk

I understand there are differences.  Posting the sale on a message board generally indicates that you have a set price.  Where as an auction indicates that you are going to be bidding against someone.  The nature of the beast is that this is a fairly secretive business.  It's unfortunate that it is that way because this business mostly includes young men and women - many of which are being introduced for their 1st time to the business.  Most of which are being introduced to their 1st time to any business.  We teach what we allow.  I'm just sayin'.

jason

I can see it both ways.

However, I do see a lot of ads without locations, which makes it tough to see if a transaction is even feasible for both parties.  Also photographs are a must.

yousesteers

I guess i am old fashioned I dont buy from photos i gotta see the calves photos are just to get me interested we will talk price possibly before I go to the destination and then will discuss it face to face I can do bussiness with any one but can tell a lot more about a person face to face than over the phone or PM I also dont like the prices posted because that is between me the buyer and the seller or vice versa we showed a steer one year gave $1000 for him my sister worked her butt of and took good care of him and by county fair the rumor was we had gave $10000 for him and kept him in a cooler in another state all summer  the steer never saw a cooler and was raised about an hour form us we just got a little lucky and she did all the work like it should have been done I never told what wegave for the steer just told them all they were wrong some thought we gave more some thought we gave less than the rumor

6M Ranch

Not sure why everyone is so consumed about what other people think.  If you can afford $10k for a steer, why be embarassed.  By the same token, if I buy a $1k steer and take grand champion, I want everyone to know my picking and searching skills are superior.  If two people know what you paid, it's not a secret.  If you PM me the price, it's no longer a secret.  Adjusting the price to the buyer is a poor business practice, and a poor excuse for not posting the price.  If you want to help out kids, price accordingly and tell the jocks to go somewhere else.  Can you tell from a PM that I'm a new kid to showing and need some help?  Time is a precious commodity at our place.  Post some pics, the price and where it's located.  Saves everyone some time and troouble.  I'm not interested in a $10k steer in Florida.  I am however interested in a $2k heifer in Kansas.  That way I can focus our attention on what is a possible purchase.