will you call breeders for information?

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

I used to be hestitant to call as i didnt' want to waste people's time, but have found for the most part, they would recognize questions i needed to ask and filled in for me on other topics i hadn't thought of.  wondering what people's thoughts are on both sides.  what questions help breeders focus on what is recommended for our situation and which one's are pointless?

ROAD WARRIOR

Knabe - As a breeder I thoroughly enjoy most of the calls and questions I get from customers or who ever. But I will talk cows with anybody at about any time. I do know some "breeders" that get annoyed talking to people unless they think there is a Buck in it for them. Any question that relates to your involvement with the breeder should be asked - the only dumb question is the one that you didn't ask.

red

Knabe- I like & welcome phone calls. I'd rather they call me directly than go behind my back & ask other people questions about the cattle I sold them.

I think the internet has also made breeders very acessable.

Red

SKF

My kids always call or eamil the breeders with any questions we have and to just let them know how things are going. I am glad that they do because last year my son had problems with one of his steers and the breeders gave him a full credit for another calf. If we had not stayed in touch so often they might not have been so willing to help out.

red

I agree, I like to hear both good & bad information. OK, I'd prefer to hear the good! Right now the girl that has my red heifer has been IM me w/ updates. It's nice to know how she's doing & also makes me feel good that she went to a good place. Also keeps me in touch for future sales.

Red

afhm

Have in the past and will in the future.  Sometimes late at night I will email instead of call.

DL

I get a lot of emails, often from kids (not always) about calves - it is an easy way to talk about cattle at a time that is convienent for all. Many of these kids after years of emailing have bought a steer or heifer - so I think it is a good way to communicate.
I love talking cattle too, but it is often hard to get me on the phone - the cell doesn't ring here (yeah wierd) and I am not often in the house -

When I call breeders it is usually with a specific question - I remember once buying a heifer (sight unseen - good friend picked her out) and I called the breeder to ask questons about his vaccination program - he didn't have a clue what vaccine he used - never went back

I also call bull owners prior to buying semen - if they don't return my call I don't ever buy from them  ;D if ya only pay attention to the big guys then I'll take my business elsewhere..
;D