Wilson calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

I had my 1st 2 Wilson calves Sat. One was out of a bald face 1/2 simi cow the other out of a grey EXT cow. The calves were very similar in make up. 80 lb range born quick and up looking for their first meal fast. Wide based and very clean fronted. One black with white socks the other one red. If you think of how the bull is bred,(WMW X Full Throttle), I think the places to use him are anywhere that you would think about using Hannibal or Dr. Who. He will make them more moderate than Hannibal by far and I think that he will make them cleaner fronted than Dr Who most of the time. I have seen some very nice fronted Dr. Who's and like the Hannibal's and DW's. The thing that a person will need to keep in mind with Wilson, is that if there is a colored pedigree in the background he will sometimes bring that up just like Sun Seeker can once in awhile. I went and looked @ some Wilson calves Sat and saw some very good ones out of some Heat Wave second calvers. There is a marked up red & white steer in Mo. that has been winning quite a few shows in the SH plus div.
  I'll have to try to get some pics up. My daughter took a bunch of pics this last week & was going to try to post some up, but she didn't get any of the Wilson's. We are waiting for 1 more out of a pretty good Angus cow, hoping for a great heifer. The cow is getting old. One of the owner's has some 1st calf heifers this year and says that they look like they are going to be great females.

red

pictures, pictures!!!!

What % or what is he registered as Brent?

Red

CAB

This is terrible Red, but I don't know for sure. I better find out. That WMW would about get him registered 3 ways @ least. Just got off the phone with the previous owner, he doesn't think he was ever registered.

Jill

I may be in the minority here, but I say take the time and whatever it costs and get him registered.  This may just be us, but we won't use a bull that isn't registered, we had a calf one year that won every where she went, but wasn't high enough % to go to any Jr. National's, it was a huge let down and we haven't had an unregistered show animal since.

red

Jill said:
I may be in the minority here, but I say take the time and whatever it costs and get him registered.  This may just be us, but we won't use a bull that isn't registered, we had a calf one year that won every where she went, but wasn't high enough % to go to any Jr. National's, it was a huge let down and we haven't had an unregistered show animal since.

I'm w/ Jill on this. I won't use a bull that isn't registered. It will be well worth the money to do it.

Red

CAB

Thanks for the input girls. I'll have to talk to the partners and decide what might be the best way to register the bull. I think that he could possibly go 2 to 3 breeds. @ least 2.

Sundy

Brent unless the dam is registered and has Maine on her bottom side, the only option that I know of would be Chianina. In order to be registered as a Maine they have to be 1/4 Maine as a result of the cross.

Who Made Who (28.12% Maine)

Wilson

Full Throttle Cow( The dam's bottom side must have Maine and be registered, otherwise the dam is only 15.625% Maine because Full Throttle is 31.25% Maine)

Therefore, when you cross Who Made Who with this cow(unregistered and no Maine) the result is Wilson, which is 21.8725% Maine. Just short of the 25% requirement.
Hope this helps!

Jill

Chi works just fine, as long as he's papered.  I know a lot of states don't require papers, but in Kansas if you don't have registration papers you either show as commercial or market, really limits your potential.

red

doesn't the sire have to be at least 1/2 Maine to be registered as a bull? Females can go lower but the bulls need a sire of 50%.

Red

Larry

The Wilson calves i have seen have been realy nice...brent has the mother to sontags steer a couple years ago calved yet?

CAB

No, she's due the 18th of May. Hoping for a Wilson heifer calf. She's getting old.

Larry

Ok well i might come and look at your calves after the track meet in corning on saturday if that is fine with you Brent...