winning fill vs. full tank???? I did a search on this!

Help Support Steer Planet:

DB

I was wondering what the difference was between the two? and what everyone thought of about each product.  It is not that I need to use the product to hold a steer, I just want to learn more about each product. I would like to add a little bit of fill look to a couple of them. I would also like to help the appetite of one of the steers.  Thanks for all the useful information!

AL Show Cattle

I think those are some good products but i have found nothing that even compares to beet pulp for that full look and holding cattle to weight. I think the winning fill is good for making them drink at shows but as for the full tank i would just much rather have beet pulp. Just my past experience with those two (winning fill and full tank) products.

Steer4Caddy

Winning fill is just a Silage mix to me.  It does nothing extra to expand the cattle above what normal feed and hay will do.  Full Tank however, expands tremendously when wet even compared to beet pulp (2-3 times as much).  We've used it on several steers and noticed a difference.

hunter1

all I can say is that when you have one that won't eat at the shows they will eat the winning fill like they are starving

Jill

Winning Fill is a feed/roughage mix where Full Tank is a Beet Pulp alternative, it is a feed additive.

farwest

Fed half a bucket loose not packed to 3 head. Unreal difference by next feeding for full look. This was winning fill btw

CMB

Anybody ever try Rumafill? Showtecs full tank if you wanna call it that. It is cheaper than beet pulp and full tank and I believe it  to be as good as full tank and better than beet pulp for less money. Plus you don't have to wet it to get the same effect. Also soyhull pellets are a great gut expander @ less than $10 for a 100#'s. They expand 7 times or more the diameter they go in.

TMJ Show Cattle

All are good products when used properly. However NONE of our cattle would eat Winning Fill,honest. Have used beet Pulp for years,costly and works slowly. Have had great results from full tank,but it too, is not the end all be all. Most folks are looking for an edge just at shows,these products need to be fed before show day. The best "fill" on show day has been and will continue to be, GOOD alfalfa in moderation.

RMRW

How much full tank do you feed?  Do you start low and increase, how do you all feed it?

WWS

We used full tank last year and we thought it did a very good job. It helped fill them out and really increased their appetite when we added it to their feed.  We will definately use it again.  Started them out with about a pound a day and worked our big heifer up to 4 pounds a day.  I have nevered used winnning fill cause it is just silage in my opinion and we already have plenty of that if we need it.

stangs13

Im really skeptic about full tank, and using it to much. I talked to Kirk steirwalt a few months ago about it, and he mentioned it had a tendency of settling in the stomachs and inhibiting feed intake. The reason I asked was our sim heifer was slowing way down on her intake, and we were getting worried. I think her age had a big part of it, she was just getting on feed and she was only 7 months old when we started it. We took her off of the full tank and she took off on consumption and had exceptional gain. We just started her back on it at 13 months of age and 1200 lbs, we have her first major in a few weeks. I love beet pulp, and it seems to always do the best job for building rib and spring. We also feed a haylage/silage product called chaffhaye. Its alfalfa that is cut sprayed with about an ounce of molasses per 50 lb compressed bag, and sealed shut, it last s for years un-opened, and ferments its self inside the bag, it grows a great yeast culture that the cattle go nuts for, providing natural probiotics and helps feed utilization. I feed this free choice separate from their feed, and I put about a hand full or so in the feed. For show day you mix that with a little bit of energy and an electrolyte and you have yourself one mean mix!!

JoeDirt

Ok My two Cents on all these Feed

When feeding cattle or anything like Humans etc :)
There are 3 parts to all feed Protein Fat and Fiber.

If you want to grow you use more protein
If you want to add condition or fatten you use more fat
If you want to Hold or make him feel full you use more Fiber

Remember that cattle can consume about 5% fat

With that said Look at all the Nutrutional values of all the feeds below

If you add more fiber to your feed you will hold your calf
This would be like adding beet pulp or full tank to you feed...Yes it will make them have more spring of rib and deepen down.

If you feed Hay only you will get your calf finished but it will take longer.

Look at Winning Fill nutritional value it is like a Complete Show Feed.  Isn't it?

So when you add a Hay like feed with the nutritional value of complete show feed...what do you get? SHORTER TIME TO FINISH and MORE Condition Calf for Jackpots.

What we do is......  Feed a Complete feed twice a day, Winning fill twice a day and a flake of hay twice a day.

TRUE???

So with that all said...... What is your Goal?

I hope this help about all these feeds...and what you should feed your calf...

chaffhaye

Crude Protein   min. 9%
Crude Fat 1.8% 4.0%
Crude Fiber                       11% 23%
Natural Plant Juices   max. 55%

Winning Fill

Crude Protein, min 13.0%
Crude Fat, min 4.0%
Crude Fiber, max 13.5%
Calcium (Ca), min 0.5%
Calcium (Ca), max 1.0%
Phosphorus (P), min 0.35%
Salt (NaCl), min 0.1%
Salt (NaCl), max 0.6%
Potassium (K), min 1.2%
Vitamin A, min 3,200 IU/lb

Full Tank

Crude Protein Min 9.00%
Lysine   Min 0.54%
Crude Fat   Min 0.50%
Crude Fiber  Max 27.30%
Calcium (Ca) Min 0.55% Max 1.05%
Phosphorus (P)Min 0.13%
Sodim (Na) Min 0.05% Max 0.25%
Potassium (K) Min 0.75%

Complete Show Growing Feed

Crude Protein, % (min) 14.0
Crude Fat, % (min) 2.50
Crude Fiber, % (max) 15.0
Calcium, % (Ca) (min) 0.55
Calcium, % (Ca) (max) 1.05
Phosphorus, % (P) (min) 0.40
Salt, % (Na Cl) (min) 0.15
Salt,% (Na Cl) (max) 0.65
Potassium, % (K) (min) 0.65
Selenium, ppm (Se) (min) 0.44
Vitamin A, IU/lb (min) 3200.00

Complete Show Finishing Feed

Crude Protein, % (min) 13.0
Crude Fat, % (min) 5.00
Crude Fiber, % (max) 12.0
Calcium, % (Ca) (min) 0.35
Calcium, % (Ca) (max) 0.85
Phosphorus, % (P) (min) 0.35
Salt, % (Na Cl) (min) 0.15
Salt, % (Na Cl) (max) 0.65
Potassium, % (K) (min) 0.60
Selenium, ppm (Se) (min) 0.33
Vitamin A, UI/lb (min) 3200.00

Beet Pulp

Crude Protein 7.0%
Crude Fat 0.5-0.6%
Crude Fiber 15.0-20.0%
Ash 4.0-5.0%
Moisture 8.0-12.0%
TDN 74.0%
NEL 0.81 Mcal/lbs.
Calcium 0.6%
Phosphorus 0.1%

kobo_ranch

stangs13 said:
Im really skeptic about full tank, and using it to much. I talked to Kirk steirwalt a few months ago about it, and he mentioned it had a tendency of settling in the stomachs and inhibiting feed intake. The reason I asked was our sim heifer was slowing way down on her intake, and we were getting worried. I think her age had a big part of it, she was just getting on feed and she was only 7 months old when we started it. We took her off of the full tank and she took off on consumption and had exceptional gain. We just started her back on it at 13 months of age and 1200 lbs, we have her first major in a few weeks. I love beet pulp, and it seems to always do the best job for building rib and spring. We also feed a haylage/silage product called chaffhaye. Its alfalfa that is cut sprayed with about an ounce of molasses per 50 lb compressed bag, and sealed shut, it last s for years un-opened, and ferments its self inside the bag, it grows a great yeast culture that the cattle go nuts for, providing natural probiotics and helps feed utilization. I feed this free choice separate from their feed, and I put about a hand full or so in the feed. For show day you mix that with a little bit of energy and an electrolyte and you have yourself one mean mix!!
Would you feed the Chaffhaye free choice if you were wanting to hold a steer?  Or just top off at the show to help fill them up?  Been feeding full tank quite a long time (except last couple months, but calves finished now and need to harden them up a bit (according to judges comment?)  Also don't want much more gain if any?  Suggestions?

Wolf24

DB said:
I was wondering what the difference was between the two? and what everyone thought of about each product.  It is not that I need to use the product to hold a steer, I just want to learn more about each product. I would like to add a little bit of fill look to a couple of them. I would also like to help the appetite of one of the steers.  Thanks for all the useful information!

In my opinion winning fill...we have used both full tank and winning fill,..my heifers ate the winning fill better...also i would only recomend to use on heifers, havent tried on steers but have heard tht its better on heifers..

stangs13

kobo_ranch said:
stangs13 said:
Would you feed the Chaffhaye free choice if you were wanting to hold a steer?  Or just top off at the show to help fill them up?  Been feeding full tank quite a long time (except last couple months, but calves finished now and need to harden them up a bit (according to judges comment?)  Also don't want much more gain if any?  Suggestions?

That would be fine!! I would try beet pulp in the feed as well, that will really help fill them up and hold them.