Winter get-away?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Justme & I were talking about this yesterday. I'm sick of winter! It was -1 this morning & we're expecting another storm tonight.

If you could just ditch everything & money wasn't a problem- where would you go to escape winter?

Me, I love to go to the Florida Keys. Any other ideas?

Red  (welcome)

Jill

You know I never understood why it was people went to Florida until the last couple of years.  It is sleeting here and 16 degrees, I am SO sick of mud and ice and snow, I am ready for spring!

jlcattle

Not that I am trying to rub it in or anything, but it is 75* today here in sunny SW Florida.  Supposed to be close to 80* this weekend.  (clapping)

justme

Forget Florida...I want somewhere exotic.  How about Aruba on the beach with a fruity drink and not a care in the world.  As Blake Shelton would say "Some Beach"

red

jlcattle said:
Not that I am trying to rub it in or anything, but it is 75* today here in sunny SW Florida.  Supposed to be close to 80* this weekend.   (clapping)

You are definitely rubbing it!!!!  (lol) Wow, sunshine!!!

Red

knabe

buy a cattle ranch south of the equator and flip flop on season's.  you might see ohlde in argentina or brazil.

AAOK

It's 81 right now in St. Thomas with a NE wind at 4 mph.  Most beautiful water I've ever seen, but still not my favorite vacation spot.

cattlejunky

justme said:
Forget Florida...I want somewhere exotic.  How about Aruba on the beach with a fruity drink and not a care in the world.  As Blake Shelton would say "Some Beach"

I am with you on Aruba.  last time I was there it was marvelous!  I am thinking about a Pina Colada right now!!!  Hey I have a timeshare I can trade for anywhere as long as there is availability.  $600 for a week in a condo.  Sometimes I can get get-aways for $350 or less.  Let me know when you are ready to go and I can hook you up.

AAOK

Only in my Dreams Red - I just checked the weather to see what it was like there today.  I'm in one of my offices, anxiouslly awaiting my 46 mile drive home on the ICE that's been trying to fall all morning.

I am trying to decide where we might go this summer for our annual Empty Nesters trip.

red

I'm going to Kansas City, MO for the Junior Nationals. first time I've ever gone by myself unless it was work related. I can't wait!!!

Red

chambero

I'm not much on the beach.  I sunburn too easy.

But my winter destinations someday (in no particular order)

I'll go to Africa someday - probably Kenya or similar place depending on where they are not killing each other at the time.  I'd also really like to see northern Ethiopia in the area where the Nile originates from (bet that one isn't on anyone else list here).  That is supposedly one of the wildest regions left on earth.

I'd love to go Israel.  But wife wants no part of it due to political climate.

Austrailia wouldn't be bad, but I'd just want to visit some of the ranches over there.

AAOK

chambero said:

I'll go to Africa someday - probably Kenya or similar place depending on where they are not killing each other at the time.  I'd also really like to see northern Ethiopia in the area where the Nile originates from (bet that one isn't on anyone else list here).  That is supposedly one of the wildest regions left on earth.

Austrailia wouldn't be bad, but I'd just want to visit some of the ranches over there.

I was recently watching a Nature progam on PBS about the Nile.  It empties into the ocean enough Fresh Water each day to supply the entire population of the world 6 times over.  That's a bunch of water.  What they didn't mention was how contaminated it may be.

cowz

Have you seen the rent a car commercial on tv that has the snow and ice covered car in the parking lot with the cold wind blowing......and they show a Santa Fe travel guide sitting on the front seat?    They wrote that one for me.....mentally I am now sitting under a big Juniper tree letting the 70 degree sun give me skin cancer.......yeah right!!!  Snow burn, wind chapped, cold toes, muddy floors......reality sets in! 8)

Davis Shorthorns

Yea, I am ready for spring to hurry up and get here.  Last week they said that it was supposed to be 52 and sunny with a little bit of rain all week.  Last night -3 wind chill, a little ice and some snow today.  I am tired of it!!!!

chambero

AAOK said:
chambero said:

I was recently watching a Nature progam on PBS about the Nile.  It empties into the ocean enough Fresh Water each day to supply the entire population of the world 6 times over.  That's a bunch of water.  What they didn't mention was how contaminated it may be.

Everyone thinks of counties of the Nile (Egypt, Ethiopia, and Sudan) as being horrible deserts - which much of those countries are.  But there is a lot of rain falling somewhere to create a river that big.  I'm sure they get some pretty raunchy agricultural runoff, but with that much water, its probably diluted to the point you can't hardly detect it.  Biggest contaminants would be bacteria from human waste.  I wouldn't eat the oysters from the Nile delta.

cowz

Remember that cooked feces wont hurt you ....... it's the uncooked feces that will kill you!  I know...eeewwwww.

knabe

what's interesting about the nile river, is that volcanic activity blocked some of the rift valley fresh water lakes from draining into the nile, otherwise it would be even longer, extremely longer.  some of these lakes no longer drain anymore, and are accumulating salt.  this is where intersting semi-saltwater fish come from and are called cichlids.  they are, for fish at least, extremely intelligent, very colorful and have extremely eccentric behaviors and very specialized mouth parts that border on galapogos island type diversity and speciation.

one of my favorite is Ophthalmotilapia ventralis

http://www.aquatic-photography.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=4577        it's kinda spectacular.  the little spots on the tip of the two thin fins are egg spots.

from the following link  http://kingdappercombo.com:8082/GAAS/ttopics/1999/optimism.htm
O. ventralis are mouth brooders.  They spawn in shallow pits in the sand.  Sometimes the female will lay her eggs without the male being present.  She will pick them and carry them in her buccal cavity.  When the male finally comes home from wherever, the female will mouth the egg dummies as if trying to pick them up.  The male being stimulated by this will release his milt, which will be sucked in by the female, and so the eggs get fertilized orally.  I guess technically this is not sex, but as long as I get fry I don't really care what you call it.  The female carries the eggs for 3-4 weeks until the fry are developed well enough to be free swimming.

you can purchase these for your home enjoyment.

chambero

How many other sites can you jump from discussions on calving difficulties to geology and biology of the Nile River!