Witch Doctor or Taz

Help Support Steer Planet:

tande

I have 5 head of heifers that are Maine/Angus and Clubby/Maine bred. My kids are just going to start showing so I am breeding more for maternal in mind with keeping heifer calves. I would like to have some decent calves with a gentle disposition if they are steers for my kids to show for their first time. Which bull would you use? I know both are "proven heifer bulls" but what experience have you had with them? Taz is out of Cunia and the sire of Heatwaves dam and Witch Doctor is out of Power Plant. Any recommendations would be great.

bryan6807

Both bulls are great choices. there attitudes are hit or miss, also depends on the cow. mix it up and use both, its a win, win

mark tenenbaum

Witch Doctor-but there are composites like: Who, Breathe Easy,Final Solution, or:a ton of Maines like;Smokin Joe, Ali,Jiggalo Joe,Tyson,Dirty Hairy 2 etc etc that really do the job for showy hiefers-If you arent stuck on black-the Proud Jazz sons work way good on thick x-breds and Maine deals O0

mainegirl

I tried Taz a couple years ago with luck. Had a steer we kept did did relatively well with and was a puppy dog. I haven't heard of him siring very many females. Ive actually only seen one, but definitely liked the calves I've seen out of him. I tried Smokin Joe once; got a heifer...good disposition and she had a JPJ heifer this year, but doesn't have any milk to feed it. I've had really good luck with Gucci on my heifers. He's pretty much the only bull I breed to my heifers

cowman 52

Bred some to witch doctor a few years back, they were wired a little tight for the wide open spaces,  knew his mother  and not the most maternal cow I ever saw

Joe Boy

I agree with Mainegirl.  I use Gucci on heifers and I have sold several prospect calves out of him.  His calves come easy, have good dispositions, develope bone and hair after birth, stand naturally right.  My only criticizm of the bull is they are slower growing but will keep on growing.  I have two bulls on test out of him and they are the best bulls in the test.  I will use them for clean up bulls this year.

mark tenenbaum

I didnt realize that Gucci was that easy calving-he is along way up the road from either of the older bulls-as far as show hiefers:and great maternal on his sires side.-Witchdocter worked real well on Shorthorns-which would lead me to think he might be a little uglyfied on black cattle-CE-but not real pretty. O0

Joe Boy

All of our Gucci calves had the look.... every one of them drew attention from all of our visitors.  A long time ago we had Witch Dr. and his look improved our FB's and their size, but they did not have the look that Gucci had.  Our average BW on Gucci over the last two years was 71 lbs.

tande

How are the females out of Gucci? Does anyone have any daughters in production? Thanks for all the information. I have had a bad experience with Who Made Who and therefore I will not use him or anything out of him, it is not worth the risk. I also want to use Clean bulls as far as genetic defects.

AAOK

A couple of older high pct Maine-Anjou bulls you might consider to use on Deep Sided heifers to produce Show Heifers are Mitten Man & Kadabra

Joe Boy

I have a Gucci heifer that will calve in December and we are excite as she is the real deal.

mainegirl

Joe Boy do you have any pictures of your Gucci female? I've only had males so far. Kept my best one for a clean up bull and is flat awesome! I'm one proud momma of him :) What did you breed her to?