Witchdoctor

Help Support Steer Planet:

AStar

I am thinking about using Witchdoctor on Sim-Angus heifers. Heifers are really good but all could use less leather. I was wondering what everyone who has used him in the past thought about his calves and females out of him. I never got to see him in person and hope he wasn't a little dink like so many are today.Thanks in advance.

AStar

I have also thought about Chill Factor but several of my heifers are scurred and I do not want horned calves.

GoWyo

I thought scurs and horns were two separate genes -- have nothing to do with each other.

hamburgman

They are different genes, the horn gene is a recessive gene and scurs are a sex influenced gene, if you want to know more, I can look it up in my genetics book for you.

yuppiecowboy

If you got it use it. Might get a steer out of the deal, heifers should be top shelf keepers. I never pulled a WD calf. My all time favorite for heifers if you are are looking for a chance to get saleable calves.

AStar

hamburgman said:
They are different genes, the horn gene is a recessive gene and scurs are a sex influenced gene, if you want to know more, I can look it up in my genetics book for you.

So if I breed my scurred females to Chill Factor (horned) what are my polled odds. I have heard scurred animals are heterozygous polled.

hamburgman

Most likely your Bull calf will be scurred and the heifer calf will be polled, could have horns, but doubt it, I can't find if horns are dominate over scurs.  Bulls with scurs only need one copy of the gene to show scurs, while heifers need both copies of the gene to be scurred

DTW

Used WD years ago on simi angus heifers.  Pulled most of them but these were some stout heifers.  Also sold two of them for alot of money and kept one for a cow.  They were 90 lb heifer calves and 100 lb bull calves. 
I think he is easier calving on maines but when crossed with the simi's you can get some  birthweight. 

justme

Witch Dr. is one bull that withstood the test of time.  VERY marketable calves.  Bull, steers, and heifers sold well for us.  The heifers go on to make GREAT females.

knabe

hntwhitetail said:
Anyone know if he carries the scur gene?

some of the females are listed as scurred, and since females typically need both copies of the scur gene to show it, then i would say he carries the scur gene.  at least one bull is listed as scurred, which only need one copy, though people may have either pasted them, dehorned them or culled them, the ones that are listed as polled.

http://maine-anjou.org/results.php?aname=witch+doctor&recordsperpage=25

on the other hand, i didn't check to see if any of the scur carriers had a dna file on file verifying they are actual descendants of him.

hntwhitetail

Thanks Knabe

I have a Witch Doctor son w/ Scurs, out of a registered angus LEACHMAN SAUGAHATCHEE 3000C daughter.  Just wondering where they showed up from. 

knabe

hntwhitetail said:
Thanks Knabe

I have a Witch Doctor son w/ Scurs, out of a registered angus LEACHMAN SAUGAHATCHEE 3000C daughter.  Just wondering where they showed up from.  

i gather they didn't come from the angus side. ;)  good job on the mating.  at least if you get a bull out of him (the son), then you have a polled/scur free son.  with a female, you won't know if you have a scur carrier or not.