With drawal period on LA 200

Help Support Steer Planet:

Will

I have a bull that has became crippled.  He had really sore feet and we gave him LA 200 14 days ago.  The Vet came today and ran test and believes he tore up some of the ligaments in his stifle.  So we have decided to take him to the sale but I was wondering what the withdrawal period is on LA 200 and Banamine?  I do not want to sell him until it is out of his system, but do not want to keep him much longer. 
Thank You

NHR

LA 200

WARNINGS: Discontinue treatment at least 28 days prior to slaughter of cattle and swine.
Milk taken from animals during treatment and for 96 hours after the last treatment must not
be used for food. Rapid intravenous administration may result in animal collapse.
Oxytetracycline should be administered intravenously slowly over a period of at least 5
minutes.

http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overview.asp?drug=LQ&country=US&lang=EN&species=DA

DL

WARNING!!!!

The withdrawal period of a drug is based on giving it EXACTLY how the label reads - so if you didn't give the according to label instructions the withdrawal doesn't apply - ie if you didn't give it IV but instead gave it IM or subQ then the withdrawal should be increased - you need to talk to your vet about this.

ALSO!! WARNING TWO
Banamine is approved for use only IV and the 4 day meat withhold is based on giving the drug IV - if you gave it IM or subQ the meat withhold will be significantly prolonged. The USDA is ramping up efforts and banamine contamination of both beef and dairy is a big issue -

since giving either of these drugs outside of the label requires a veterinarian and ELDU and AMDUCA to be followed I would call the vet to get the slaughter withhold - if he prescribed the treatment he (she) should have labeled the bottle with that information....

knabe

yes, you need to have appropriate restraint equipment.  it's not trivial.  do not try this at home.

chambero

Our vet sometimes gives things IV.  Not too hard, but I haven't done it myself.

DL

Tetracycline is not nice to tissues when given IV - it often sclerosis the blood vessel - it is almost never used except orally in humans because of the nasty local reactions - it has been used to cause inflammation of the pleura in various (human) lung conditions (ie mesothelioma, lung cancer) where there is a build up of fluid in the chest - the theory being that if the site of the fluid (pleura) is stuck together it can't form fluid between the pleural layers.

When given the choice, I really prefer using drugs that are smaller volume, cause less local tissue reaction and can be given subQ - sometimes you don't have the choice - if you use tetracycline or banamine off label make sure you follow the ELDU and that your vet gives you a slaughter withhold based on your route of administration

red

After my heifer had an allergic reaction to penicllin last year, I also watch them for a while after any shot. We don't just leave the barn afterwards. You never know who's allergic.

Red

DL

NHR said:
We always consult our Vet prior to giving medications.

karma point for you!!
ps I have no idea why that is soooo big!!

DL

As an FYI I just got a blurb for Tetradure 300 (which is a form of oxytetracycline) - it is approved for use as a single dose IM (intramuscular) or SubQ (under the skin) for pneumonia and pinkeye in cattle - the withdrawal when following label directions is 28 days - if you are interested contact your vet - it is a presciption product...

DL

Will said:
I have a bull that has became crippled.  He had really sore feet and we gave him LA 200 14 days ago.  The Vet came today and ran test and believes he tore up some of the ligaments in his stifle.  So we have decided to take him to the sale but I was wondering what the withdrawal period is on LA 200 and Banamine?  I do not want to sell him until it is out of his system, but do not want to keep him much longer. 
Thank You

If you gave the LA 200 IV or IM at the label dose the withdrawal is 28 days....if it was subQ or a higher than label dose it will be longer - check with your vet (took us a long time to answer your question didn't it
;D ;D