women and cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

dsfarms

What is it with women getting mad during calving season. My wife thinks I'm Superman and can do everthing. Anyone have this problem?

PaddyO

AGREED!! If you can find that one to hang in there with you!!!haha

MooMooLover

I don't think it's just women. We have 4 1st calf heifers due at the end of April and my HUSBAND wants to go to Jamaica!!!

knabe

dsfarms said:
What is it with women getting mad during calving season. My wife thinks I'm Superman and can do everthing. Anyone have this problem?

it's not her.  you trained her to think you are superman.  ask for help before you need it and don't phrase like it's a problem.  most people respond to need.  i find this is not restricted to sex, but expectations others see in you in that you have established you will do it.

probably just as big a problem is bringing up problems and doing nothing, or picking up the ball and putting it down again without moving the ball, sometimes even moving the ball backwards.

most people problems can be solved by focusing on what you do rather than others as the probability of changing others is less than changing yourself.

kswlaw

I ( the wife) am the one out during calving season and I love it! I am always the first one with my hands on the calf! unless one of my children happen to be home then we all have hands on.  (cow) (clapping)

shortyjock89

It's my job (big brother/oldest son) to get the calf out, and then it's everyone on the calf messin with it until Momma runs them off.  Then it's my job to break the calf, clip it, and then fit it.  And little sister gets the glory  :p

MYT Farms

knabe said:
dsfarms said:

it's not her.  you trained her to think you are superman.  ask for help before you need it and don't phrase like it's a problem.  most people respond to need.  i find this is not restricted to sex, but expectations others see in you in that you have established you will do it.

probably just as big a problem is bringing up problems and doing nothing, or picking up the ball and putting it down again without moving the ball, sometimes even moving the ball backwards.

most people problems can be solved by focusing on what you do rather than others as the probability of changing others is less than changing yourself.

Didn't know you were a shrink, knabe!  ;) Sorry, couldn't help myself. But I think you're right. OSF, hmmmm........ How is it I get stuck with a very familiar situation every year?? Only I get to do cattle, sheep, and hogs.  ???

oakbar

I agree with CAB--I'm not touching this one!!  Actually, the anger in all of us seems to last only as long as the time it takes for the calf to be  born safely---then once we get to hadle the calf, everybody's pretty happy!!

cowz

My suggestion is to develop a tough hide during calving season.  The guys (teenagers included) get cranky because everybody is POOPED.  Not enough sleep, substandard meals, wind, you get behind weighing and tagging, cattle have to be paired up, sorted and moved.  Add on that the stress of getting your taxes done, working outside the ranch, fixing fences, still feeding, ordering semen, AI'ing, etc.  Then add on the extras if you have kids to keep up with.  It is a very busy time in both school, sports and 4-H.

Take a deep breath, go grocery shopping alone.  Pick up a gallon of cookie dough ice cream or some cookies.  Hide it in the shop.  When the going gets tough, have a chocolate fix.   Oh, Oh, I just gave you the woman fix.   For the guys, get a 12 pack of coca cola or your favorite barley pop.  Hide it in the shop.  Then you hide in the shop.  It will get better tomorrow.   (argue)

Cattledog

That isn't always true.  I often have to tell my mom to let me do certain things.  I'm not kiddin you she is fearless!  She has told me that she realizes that she may not be able to do certain things but she won't know unless she tries.  My sister is cut from the same cloth!  Sometimes I just stand back and think to myself and think that I wouldn't trade their help for anything!  I really am lucky.  However, if we ever have a really nasty cow....they look to me and that is how I prefer it! 

jasper

dsfarms said:

to her, you probably are superman  :-*

OH Breeder

My sister and I worked together in critical care unit. She is respiratory therapist and I am a nurse. (My other sister is a nurse too and our family friend is an obstetrics nurse) We use to run quiet a few codes and trauma's together. When we are calving and the situatin gets crazy or tough, we just act like we use to in the hospital. We don't have to talk and if we do we are calm and diligent. We are breaking the nephews into calving and they tend to be a little more excitable. I have to yell at them every now and then and say TALK TO ME, what are you feeling. I do'nt know what I would do with out my sisters. They are Great!! You should see us do a C-Section. The vet said he had never had such good help. We set up a pretty good surgical suite.

Cattledog

OH Breeder said:
My sister and I worked together in critical care unit. She is respiratory therapist and I am a nurse. (My other sister is a nurse too and our family friend is an obstetrics nurse) We use to run quiet a few codes and trauma's together. When we are calving and the situatin gets crazy or tough, we just act like we use to in the hospital. We don't have to talk and if we do we are calm and diligent. We are breaking the nephews into calving and they tend to be a little more excitable. I have to yell at them every now and then and say TALK TO ME, what are you feeling. I do'nt know what I would do with out my sisters. They are Great!! You should see us do a C-Section. The vet said he had never had such good help. We set up a pretty good surgical suite.

Maybe that's why my sister rocks.  She is an ICU nurse and nothing scares her away.  All she wants is for the cow and the calf to be healthy! The fealing of calm and Diligence is exactly what she brings to the table.  I should also recognize my wife, who is also a nurse, as a big help.  She was new to cattle when she met me but she is a trooper and willing to learn.  Maybe what everone needs is a nurse to help you out during calving!  It works great for me!

ba

Years ago took the first responder class and when it came time for the
OB section when I said give me a heat lampand a bale of straw were
go to go.They considered the source of comment.

On some of this humane and animal doctoring is not that far apart

linnettejane

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
It's my job (big brother/oldest son) to get the calf out, and then it's everyone on the calf messin with it until Momma runs them off.  Then it's my job to break the calf, clip it, and then fit it.  And little sister gets the glory  :p

you are a very good big brother  ;)

austin

cowz said:
My suggestion is to develop a tough hide during calving season.  The guys (teenagers included) get cranky because everybody is POOPED.  Not enough sleep, substandard meals, wind, you get behind weighing and tagging, cattle have to be paired up, sorted and moved.  Add on that the stress of getting your taxes done, working outside the ranch, fixing fences, still feeding, ordering semen, AI'ing, etc.  Then add on the extras if you have kids to keep up with.  It is a very busy time in both school, sports and 4-H.

Take a deep breath, go grocery shopping alone.  Pick up a gallon of cookie dough ice cream or some cookies.  Hide it in the shop.  When the going gets tough, have a chocolate fix.   Oh, Oh, I just gave you the woman fix.   For the guys, get a 12 pack of coca cola or your favorite barley pop.  Hide it in the shop.  Then you hide in the shop.  It will get better tomorrow.   (argue)

Cookie dough sounds pretty darn good to me!!!  ;D

jbw

After the last 10 days I feel like I am finally getting the better half broke-in. She calls every so often in the night to make sure I'm OK{debatable}, If its been a cruddy week she tells me to go have a brewsky, Wait a minute, I think she just wants my crabby butt out of the house, I think that she has me broke-in. I'm still the man of the house when she's not around. :-\