World Beef Expo

Help Support Steer Planet:

LFFASHOWER

This is my first year attending the World Beef Expo and I still am unsure about some of the requirements we need. Such as the proof of ownership. For example my steer is a cross breed and I did not recieve and paper work for it what should I do? Also they need to be TB tested why do they need to be if they have the RFID tag in there ear and a paper saying it came from a TB free herd. Thanks for any of your help.

DL

I can't tell you specifically BUT - Wisconsin is a big dairy state and they guard their cattle health like the plague so if they are requiring TB testing make sure you do it, likely has to be with in 60 days of the show. I assume that you are not from MI or another state that has a TB problem - if so call the state vet (Wisc) to see what you have to do. The RFID is only an identification - it doesn't say anything about TB testing etc. For those states strictly adhering to the USDA rules once your animal leaves the herd of origin and is co mingled with other animals (be it at your farm or at a show) it loses whatever status it might have had before. Does any of that make any sense? If not holler back  ;D

LFFASHOWER

Actually I am from Michigan but we have certain counties that are differnt like the upper part they are effected but i am not in one of those counties?

DL

So you are in the Modified Accredited Advanced Zone (MAA Zone; ie lower part of the lower peninsula)? Wisconsin and Illinois (to name a few) have been very difficult in so far as moving cattle from the MAA zone of MI into their state - in fact last I knew both states did not recognize that MI was divided into zones and treated the whole state as if it was the "TB zone" (upper part of the lower peninsula) - requiring (depending on a variety of things) whole herd negative TB test as well as one of 2 negative individual tests - call the Wisconsin state vet ASAP on Tues 608-224-4872 - or have your vet call - you don't want to get there and not get in or sent back and fined (yup it has happened).

Each state can make their import requirements whatever they want as long as they comply with the minimal federal (USDA) requirements - so some states play harder ball than others....good luck, let me know if you have more questions - I have been playing this TB deal for the past decade 
:(

LFFASHOWER

Now what about the proof of ownership that is what i am really worried about because my breeder just has cross bred steers and doesnt have like pedigree papers or anything like that what do i do about proving that the animal is mine?

DL

LFFASHOWER said:
Now what about the proof of ownership that is what i am really worried about because my breeder just has cross bred steers and doesnt have like pedigree papers or anything like that what do i do about proving that the animal is mine?

Do you have a bill of sale? If not can you ask the breeder to send you one? Did you buy the steer out of state? Did he come with a health certificate in your name? You might want to call the Beef Expo people to check but a bill of sale with his RFID # should do it
:)

LFFASHOWER

This takes all of the fun out of the show having to get all of these tests and so on. Kinda frustrating since the prospect steer entries arent due till sept.15 and the show is like the 30th and it will take atleast a week or two for the TB test i believe. Also how much are the TB tests?

DL

LFFASHOWER said:
This takes all of the fun out of the show having to get all of these tests and so on. Kinda frustrating since the prospect steer entries arent due till sept.15 and the show is like the 30th and it will take atleast a week or two for the TB test i believe. Also how much are the TB tests?

Welcome to the world of moving cattle if you are from a state with a TB problem - if you think it isn't fun taking one steer to a show think for a minute how difficult it is for the guys from the TB zone who are trying to make a living. You need to call your vet to get a price for TB testing but before you do call the Wisc state vet - you may not have sufficient time to do all the testing required...sorry it is just the way it is..