Worst Fair Memories

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dale

What is the worst experience you have had at a fair? 

How about getting up in the wee hours to take white Shorthorn calves to sheep barn to Holstein nurse cow on show day?

Some of you can top that easily.  Have at it!

Show Heifer

I have this on tape so I promise it is TRUE:
I showing in the lead line class at our county fair. So was the superintendents' daughter. The class was to be judges by 3 judges, one for the outfit, one for the sheep, and one for the knowledge by the exhibitor. After the class, the judges had a conference to decide the placings. When they came out and handed the superintendent the results he said that "they are not acceptable. Go re-place the class." So with bewildered looks the judges went back and a few minutes later, came out again with results. AGAIN the superintendent told the judges (this time on the mic - not just a loud voice) that the results were not acceptable. He took the judges back to the office, and after an uncomfortable length of time (as we, the exhibitors were still in the ring)  the superintendent came out and read the results. His daughter was first, his niece was second, and I was third. The spectators were nothing short of astonished.  The judges approached me after the show (last one of the day) and told me they had placed me first the first two times, but that the superintendent refused to let that result stand because "She won a lot today, and my daughter needs some encouragment."  I thanked them for their vote.
I will always remember that as a bad thing that turned out well. Why? Because everyone congratulated me on a fine job, told me they thought I handled the situation well, and that enforced what my Dad had taught me "Life isn't fair. Accept it and smile. Everything will work out." And you know what? It did and it usually does.  I never showed livestock to win. I showed livestock because I honestly LOVE working with my animals and love the friendships I have made and continue to make. I like the competition, but don't care who wins, as long as I did my best, had fun, and the winner won with integrity....something that I am not sure too many people understand anymore.

farmboy

MY FIRST STEER AT THE FAIR GOT OUT OF THE SHOW HALTER IN THE RING AND I WAS FIRST IN LINE AND IT TOOK TEN MINUTES TO CATCH HIM (THE RING HAND) I ENDED UP LAST IN MY CLASS AND SHAME :'(  :D BUT...i WON RATE OF GAIN  AND SOLD THIRD OVERALL AND I'M NOT GONNA LIE...A NICE FAT CHECK CHEERED ME RIGHT UP ;D

shorthorns r us

SH - I was going to post until I read that. now, i  would be ashamed to post my bit of whining.  absolutely the worst thing i have ever heard. was the super a  figure skating judge? were there others competing, how old were you and was anything done? i am usually level headed but that would have caused me to get somewhat indignant had it happened to one of my boys (not in lamb lead of course).

DL

SRU said:
SH - I was going to post until I read that. now, i  would be ashamed to post my bit of whining.  absolutely the worst thing i have ever heard. was the super a  figure skating judge? were there others competing, how old were you and was anything done? i am usually level headed but that would have caused me to get somewhat indignant had it happened to one of my boys (not in lamb lead of course).

oh SRU - please - stand back and let the kids stand proud - no it ain't fair and you would have a right to be pi**ed but IMHO there is nothing worse than a ranting parent - I have had the delightful opportunity of being on the wrong side of a wide variety of ranting parents during and after (yes they do chase you) check in - I am always really impressed when the kid steps up and acts like an adult - puts those parents to shame (of course there are kids who acts just like their parents and curse you and follow you) - it was a rotten thing that the super did to SH but she was the winner ...(good grief I sound like Pollyanna or something but ranting parents really bug me and set a poor example of how to behave for their kids and other kids....

austin

Could have been the worst on the way to the fair memory. I was backing out of my driveway and realized I hadn't shut the backdoor to the trailer where the calves are. I stopped the truck, rushed out, and slammed the door. Everything was alright.

But uhh  :eek:

DLD

Yeah, looking back, some of the worst memories I have are from recent years as beef superintendent at our county show. I really hate the way some parents, grandparents and leaders expect the rules not to apply to their kids... And like DL said, you get followed around and called everything in the book and a few things besides, just for enforcing the rules.

Otherwise, the one that stands out to me is the time my Shorthorn steer got kicked into the crossbred class at Tulsa. A breeder was classifying who had kids of his own showing - he kicked out every steer that had done any winning all summer (mine was champion or reserve everywhere he went - 11 times) and a couple others, too. Guess he missed one, though, cause a steer that hadn't been shown much before was champion, and his kids had reserve and the next Shorthorn steer in the sale. This is back when nothing but black crosses won, and we allgot sifted in the crossbred classes. The judge later said that a couple of those roan steers were really good, but what was he supposed to do with 'em in the crossbred show... ???
That was pretty disappointing because it was the first really good steer I'd had, but I learned that day that no matter how good a one you've got, or how hard you've worked at it - stuff happens. Having those kind of dissapointments makes winning that much sweeter when you finally get it done, though.

David

jason

farmboy said:
MY FIRST STEER AT THE FAIR GOT OUT OF THE SHOW HALTER IN THE RING AND I WAS FIRST IN LINE AND IT TOOK TEN MINUTES TO CATCH HIM (THE RING HAND) I ENDED UP LAST IN MY CLASS AND SHAME :'(  :D BUT...i WON RATE OF GAIN  AND SOLD THIRD OVERALL AND I'M NOT GONNA LIE...A NICE FAT CHECK CHEERED ME RIGHT UP ;D

Been there, done that.  ;D

red

Worst memory was when I was showing Jerseys & my cow horned the Jersey queen. Never lived that one down!

Red

DL

SRU said:
one of those times when virtual conversation is ineffective. no sideshow antics, not my style.

translation???
not with you here- are you saying you couldn't control yourself and would turn into the incredible hunk (?hulk) or a raving lunatic?? ;D

shortyjock89

red said:
Worst memory was when I was showing Jerseys & my cow horned the Jersey queen. Never lived that one down!

Red

Red, at the local shows, the kids showin the Dairy cattle look like they're having a horrible time..maybe it's cause all us beef kids poke a little fun at their "juicer ways"...like instead of taking a camper like we do, they take all the stuff that's supposed to go inside a camper...including a fridge, beds, electric griddle, and all kinds of other stuff...Did  you enjoy the Jersey's as much as the Maine's? I know my uncles liked them when they showed, but you couldnt pay my dad enough to show a dairy animal.

red

Are you ready for a laugh?
Actually looking back, hated it but that's all we knew.

Attachments

• Keifer girls2.jpg
    Keifer girls2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 240

red

dragon lady said:
SRU said:
one of those times when virtual conversation is ineffective. no sideshow antics, not my style.

translation???
not with you here- are you saying you couldn't control yourself and would turn into the incredible hunk (?hulk) or a raving lunatic?? ;D

SRU
indexgraphic.gif

farmboy

WATCH OUT FOR SRU

YOU KNOW AT NIGHT WE GET ON THE BIG SLIDE AND GO DOWN IT IN FEEDSACKS :D ONE NIGHT IN AUGUST IT WAS COLD SO WE POURED WATER ON IT AND IT GOT SLICK AND WENT DOWN IT.... MAJOR THUMP ON THE HEAD FOR ONE OF MY FREINDS

shortyjock89

My worst day at the fair had to be when I was 14 years old.  I had a heifer outside the showring getting ready to go in.  I took her rope halter off, and her show halter came off with it.  I tried desperately to put it back on, but to no avail.  I hung on her neck and she spun around and threw me into a line of angry heifers.  I got kicked and stomped to a pulp.  After we got the heifer caught and shown, I went back to my showbox to inspect my foot.  I took off my boot and it was a mess.  I bruised my foot and broke two toes and I still had 3 calves to show, plus group classes.  So what dad did was use duct tape and tape my foot really tight and then we put the boot back on and I headed back to the showring. After I got done showing, we went to the ER and all they did was tape my toes together and told me to take Iburprofen.  That's not even close to the worst day my dad had tho...but that's for another one of SJ89's story hours  (lol)

shorthorns r us

i am not a big fan of abuse of power.  hopefully this will clarify.  if i were present, i would make certain that the super knew that the crowd was aware of his antics without making a spectacle of myself.  if at all possible, i would have gotten as much of show management to the event as possible.  for the most part, show protests are worthless; so, i would probably save my time and money on that one.  at the next fair board meeting, it would be on the agenda and i would make sure i had the video with me.  my goal would be for the super to not have additional opportunities to take advantage of young people.  would like to explain more but i just got that look from my wife.

sorta like the look I am givin' you too! I think I get it.... ;D ;D

dragon lady said:
SRU said:

translation???

ELBEE

To Show Heifer,

I'm sorry you had to experience such an ordeal, but the other girls may have been more embarrassed than you. Super's like that don't last long in our county. For the most part the management pulls together for the good of the whole 4-H\FFA program.

Between my Father and I, we have accumulated over 60 years as beef superintendant here in our county. He went out of his way to ignore me during the fair, just to make the point to the public he was not giving me any advantages. He also would not speak to a judge until after the show, even though he knew most of them personally. After all this I still managed a grand champion spot (with a straight Shorty) my last year. Even with all this etiquette a lady spoke just loud enough for everyone to here "Getting a buddie of Bigham's to judge, you know his kid would get grand champion." The judge left extremely upset, assuring us he didn't pick us for personal reasons, and Dad didn't sleep a wink that night.  Don't know what the lady thought when the same steer went on to be 2 time state champ.

The moral of the story is; I've already informed the board I'm retiring when Kayla starts 4-H. She will get every advantage a parent can give!

red

Elbee- if you hadn't already been on the top of my list as one of the good guys, you sure are now!
Kayla is going to grow up to a be a very wonderful girl!

Red  (clapping)

DLD

Elbee, I intended to resign as beef superintendent as soon as Clay started showing, but the ag teachers and our c.e.a. begged me to stay on because nobody else that knew enough to do it was willing.

A couple of years ago there was some controversy over an Angus steer, and since there were only 2 Angus steers there, and the other one belonged to my son, I asked the general superintendents to make the call. They made a decision that evening to not let him show, let the kids ag teacher talk them into letting him show the next morning, after the show it was protested, and in the end they didn't let him sell in the premium sale... As it happened, the steer in question was champion and ours was reserve, and even though the people directly involved knew I had nothing to do with it (the protest was filed by the family that had the first alternate steer in sale order), a whole lot of people assumed I was responsible for all that mess (even though Clay's steer still sold as a reserve and didn't move up and sell as champion). I didn't let 'em talk me into coming back after that one.

I wish I could say everyone in charge of our county show is fair and un-biased, but one particular person is not. This persons family raises two species, and sells lots of high dollar show animals in both. Their grandkids show both, too, and although this person has done a whole lot for the good of the whole show and all it's participants, they do everything in their power to make sure their grandkids have every advantage. They do show good animals, and they're always fed and fitted right, so they'd do their share of winning without any help, but they get a little anyway.