Worth buying a blower?

Help Support Steer Planet:

katie_k

i am doing my last year showing with T&J Farms because i will be graduating and moving to south dakota next fall.  I am showing some really nice calves this year and doing more than just my county fair.  do you think it would be worth buying a blower to use for the year?  When i get to sdsu i hope to maybe show a little so maybe the blower will be used more then.  Do most colleges have showing teams? Thanks for the help!

leanbeef

I don't show that much, and to me, a blower is on the short list that make life a LOT easier if you show at all. Don't look at it as a one-year investment. Take care of it & it'll last for years. I use mine every time I clip a calf to blow out dust and dirt if they're not bathed clean, and that saves my clipper blades. It would be tough to get along without it.

Ms Ray

people are always looking for used blowers so even if you sold it it you wouldn't loose to much money on it

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Wait up, you don't have a blower? Thats crazy, pretty much a must have to compete with haired cattle. I've seen a kid rig up a leaf lower to with some old blower hose and it worked pretty well for him. Ive also seen a kid using a dog grooming blower which i thought was kinda neat just not enough power. It could actually suck the waters off the hide before you start blowing it, but just too long as it was not powerful enough. But for like $120 you cant beat what you get out of them. And the last super ghetto thing ive seen is a shop-vac with the hose hooked up through the exhaust outlet.

Why don't you give a call to the SDSU animal science department and ask them about the show team. Or are you already set to show for them?

katie_k

no i dont have a blower, ive only showed for four years and this last year was the first year i did more than our local county fair.  i havnt asked sdsu about showing yet, i just was wondering if a lot of schools have students show.

squirt71

SDSU doesn't have a show team (at least none that I've ever heard about).  But they do have a competition called Little International in April where you can show a bull or heifer (or a horse, hog, lamb or dairy heifer that they raise out at the Animal Units) and compete against other college kids. For this competition, you do have to bring all your own show supplies (chute, blower, etc). If that interests you, a blower would be a good idea.  Are there any people in your area that are finished showing?  They may be willing to sell you a blower for cheaper.  Blowers are life savers, I highly recommend getting one.

easttex

I know around here the show supplier usually has used blowers for sale. They have rebuilt them or at least checked them over, just something to think about. But def would invest in one.

Tyler

I'm a Jackrabbit alum and graduated not too long ago.  I have never heard of a "showing team."  Is this a Southern thing?  What does it consist off?  Do you travel with the Universities cattle or bring your own?

RidinHeifer

I don't think there are showing teams at any big college.  The ones that have purebred units(that show) have the workers at the units showing or the unit manager. 

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Well if you would have come to Texas you would have had a lot more choices on going to a school with a show team if that's really what you want out of college.
From the ones i have seen at shows Texas A&M, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Texas A&M Commerce, Kilgore College, Trinity Valley College, and  Odessa College. I guess thats just how we roll down here.

DiamondMCattle

squirt71 said:
SDSU doesn't have a show team (at least none that I've ever heard about).  But they do have a competition called Little International in April where you can show a bull or heifer (or a horse, hog, lamb or dairy heifer that they raise out at the Animal Units) and compete against other college kids. For this competition, you do have to bring all your own show supplies (chute, blower, etc). If that interests you, a blower would be a good idea.  Are there any people in your area that are finished showing?  They may be willing to sell you a blower for cheaper.  Blowers are life savers, I highly recommend getting one.

I didnt go to SDSU but Little International at my school was probably the best experience I had in school. Its a great way to meet people with the same interests and create life time friends.

chiangus

A blower is a must I have heard that you can call sullivans and they do have refurb units they sell cheaper by phone.