Would the money be worth it?

Help Support Steer Planet:

the_cowgirl_in_me

I have a show coming up in mid February and have been putting allot of work into my steer. I'm confident that we will do well, but the only problem I have is fitting... I have NO idea where to even start. I found an add in a local Ag magazine for a guy that would come and clip cattle for a show, but when I called he wanted $100-120. Is that a decent price or should I find another way to get it done. How important is fitting? Would it effect my placing if I just blew him out and went to show and all the other steers were fitted? Thanks for your help. ???

knabe

hmmm,

in late 80's a guy could get 50 just to rough them out.  you could buy some video's, which by all accounts seem good.  this will not be the last animal you show.  why delay learning anything.  get in and start clipping after you view the video. probably some of the people you will compete against won't have used them, and the good one's will probably beat you anyway.  this is not the end of the world. 

delaying learning only delays learning.

ShowmanQ

the_cowgirl_in_me said:
I have a show coming up in mid February and have been putting allot of work into my steer. I'm confident that we will do well, but the only problem I have is fitting... I have NO idea where to even start. I found an add in a local Ag magazine for a guy that would come and clip cattle for a show, but when I called he wanted $100-120. Is that a decent price or should I find another way to get it done. How important is fitting? Would it effect my placing if I just blew him out and went to show and all the other steers were fitted? Thanks for your help. ???
I sent you a PM

farmboy

well. if you pay attention and learn somethin from this guy doing it for you, you might learn how to do it yourself.

showsteerdlux

I'd say thats definitely worth the deal. Clipping shows that the person has taken the extra time to make the project look good. Personally if I was a judge I'd probably not give you a harder look if the calf wasn't clipped. If you are going to fool with showing then you need to do all the steps which includes clipping and fitting where allowed. I'd also agree with the others about learning how to do it yourself. My 1st calf that I clipped was pretty much messed up bad. But now I'm at the point of being able to clip calves that are class winners with 15-20 head in there. It all takes practice and the sooner you start the better.

jason

You might post your general location there is quite a few excellent fitters on steerplanet that might be able to help you

TJ

the_cowgirl_in_me said:

If the guy is any good, $100-$120 is not too much to pay to come clip & fit 1 calf.  Now if you had several calves & he wanted $120 to do each one or if you were paying hotel, meals, gas, etc. on top of it all, that might be a different story. 

IMHO, Knabe is correct.  But, Zach is also.  If this guy is any good, you could learn a lot by watching & asking questions.  And the calf might look better if you have never fit before or really watched how it is done. 

If you don't clip the calf or do anything else, except wash him & & blow him out, you will get beat if you have any competition at all, IMHO. 

Dusty

I would jump on the $100 deal.  Clipping a calf is usually an all day deal and by the time he drives there he'll have a chunk of time invested, not to mention the clippers etc.

OH Breeder

Go to sullivans supply and order the stierwalt video on clipping. Save the money you would have put into hiring someone else and learn yourself. I would talk with your ag teacher or 4-H advisor and check to see what other local resources are available. If you can clip two weeks prior to the show any mistakes won't show as bad. But making mistakes is how you learn. We clip everything we can get out hands on. We have pulled retired show heifers out of the field to get the groove. The best way to learn is practice practice.  I was really nervous at first and use to let the boys do it since things had changed so much since I showed. But, I feel pretty comfortable with it now. I am still learning and I am 39. Do you have any pictures of your steer as well? Post some and get some tips prior to clipping from the steerplanet gang on clipping.

Good Luck!
Shawn

Dusty

I am all for learning to do it yourself, but I used to practice on them a couple months before they were gonna go to a show, i wouldn't even attempt to clip him myself for show if i had never done one before.

simtal

I think clipping is something if you want to pursue, you sure as heck ain't gonna learn overnight.  It's as hard as playing an instrument, IMO.  $100 is a good deal

the_cowgirl_in_me

Here is the most recent picture i have. I'm just not wanting to invest too much in clippers, videos and stuff like that because this is my last year i can show. It would be no use to me after this year.. Also I'm paying for all steer related items myself...

Attachments

• tank 11.jpg
    tank 11.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 207

Jill

In that case, I would pay the clipper, clipping is a skill that can be learned, but it is a process you don't have time for.

MYT Farms

the_cowgirl_in_me said:
Here is the most recent picture i have. I'm just not wanting to invest too much in clippers, videos and stuff like that because this is my last year i can show. It would be no use to me after this year.. Also I'm paying for all steer related items myself...

Ditto. Last year, then why bother trying to learn? I've been learning for 7 years and am still terrible.  :D But if this yer last, year pay the $120 and bring a good steer to the show.

shortyjock89

Since this is the last year you're able to show, I would go ahead and hire someone to do it for you.  I would also get his hooves trimmed ASAP, looks like he's getting a little long in the toe.  Good luck to you!

OH Breeder

Guess if you aren't going to clip in the future and have no desire to invest in equipment then 100 bucks ain't bad at all. Who is going to groom a the show? You need to start working his hair ASAP. He looks like he has some just untrained.

the_cowgirl_in_me

anyone know of a good hoof trimmer in the AZ area? i know his feet are long and all i know of is horse people and none that i have come across are willing to try his.

CJC

OH Breeder said:
Guess if you aren't going to clip in the future and have no desire to invest in equipment then 100 bucks ain't bad at all. Who is going to groom a the show? You need to start working his hair ASAP. He looks like he has some just untrained.

I was just thinking that o/b. Go to wally world and get you some cheap shaving cream put it all over his body & legs and comb it down are which ever way to get the cow licks to lay down; then comb it forward let it set for a little while then blow the hair forward(do this a couple time a week).The hair being trained will make the fitter a lot happier. Good luck. cjc