would they be big enough

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

do you think i could get a middle may 08 calf to weigh 1200 in july of 09 ifi creep fed him and weaned him at 5 months and then pushed him hard

Jill

agree, it happens, but you would have to have perfect conditions and I wouldn't take the risk.

shortyjock89

Two full brother steers, two years in a row.  Each had 1100 or higher yearling weight.  1200 lbs isn't hard if you have the right genetics, but those kind dont come around that often...

TJ

It's do-able, but only if you have the right genetics, the weather cooperates, you are on a very good feed program, etc.  Things are going to have to fall in place almost perfectly like clock work too.  However, very few thiings work out exactly like they should.  Also, if you plan to attend a lot of shows, expect the calf not to gain as well.  With that said, I've seen it done before plenty of times, but not all genetics are capable of doing that. 

My advice is this... if you have never finished a calf in 14 months & if you don't know the genetics of the calf you are feeding (how quickly it will gain & finish), don't try it!!        

afhm

Easy.  We have sold calves that di dbetter than that.  Had one born in April 06 that showed in March 07 at 1255lbs.  Another one born in April 06 showed in May 07 at 1235 lbs.

TJ

afhm said:
Easy.  We have sold calves that di dbetter than that.  Had one born in April 06 that showed in March 07 at 1255lbs.  Another one born in April 06 showed in May 07 at 1235 lbs.

I totally agree, it's easy... IF you know what you are doing with a feed bucket & IF you have the "right genetics".  But, those are 2 mighty big "IF's".   

afhm

Forgot to mention the biggest thing you'll have to worry about is if they get sick and getting them health again asap.  Days off feed are critical when feeding a younger calf like that.  So as long as you are on top of your health program you should be OK.

CAB

Should be no problem hitting your goal. You seem to have a plan. Go for it. Pay attention to details. We calf mid April and started slaughtering cattle @ the end of May weighing from 1254 to 1302. All thbe cattle are gone now averaged 1270, heifers and steers. Wean early & feed em hard. Brent

Jill

Ok, I am going to add my 2 cents on this one.  You are the only one that access your risk, because you are really the only one that has a financial stake in this.  Here are the problems I see or questions you need to ask yourself:
1. Most steers are not finished at 1200, the steers that are competitive in this part of the state are 1300-1350?
2. What did your steer do this year, are you consistantly feeding them out in 12-13 months with no problems?
3. What is the genetics of your steer, breed has alot to do with how they will finish?
4. How much do you plan to show this steer, I know we go to 10-12 shows from March to May and generally they don't gain weight in that period of time they are showing heavy?
5. Do you have the ability and know how to push a steer to finish in that amount of time?
6. (this is the important one) Can you afford to take the hit if he doesn't finish?
If it is one you raised it will be a little easier to make that decision, take the number of days you have left, find out what your steer weighs today and you will know how many pounds a day you need to gain, that will tell you if this is even feasible. 
Good luck to you either way you decide to go.
Are you going to the Kansas State Fair, I would love to meet you?

pigguy

Jill said:
Are you going to the Kansas State Fair, I would love to meet you?
no i am not going this year to show i might go just for the heck of it though