Would you sell one for $800

Help Support Steer Planet:

JSchroeder

I would sell a steer to a good repsectful kid for $800 in a heart beat even if I've broke and fit it (assuming I haven't been offered more).  It's not the kid's fault their dad has too much common sense to pay $2,000+ for a steer.

As to the original implication that a kid who pays $800 for a steer wouldn't treat a calf as good as a kid who has his/her parents buy them a $10k steer, nothing could be further from the truth.  Paying $10k for a steer has nothing at all to do with how much the KID values the calf.

DL

JSchroeder said:
I would sell a steer to a good repsectful kid for $800 in a heart beat even if I've broke and fit it (assuming I haven't been offered more).  It's not the kid's fault their dad has too much common sense to pay $2,000+ for a steer.

As to the original implication that a kid who pays $800 for a steer wouldn't treat a calf as good as a kid who has his/her parents buy them a $10k steer, nothing could be further from the truth.  Paying $10k for a steer has nothing at all to do with how much the KID values the calf.

AMEN - a karma point for you!

OH Breeder

JSchroeder said:

I was reading a classified and I want to know what some others think. Would you sell a steer calf for $800? Without giving up too much info, there was a case recently where a steer sold for 10,000 and the child never took care of it, beat it and abiused it and it is now in "rehab". My concern is, if someone would do that with a 10k steer what would they do with a $800 one?
If the right kid came to me and I had access to the steer following the sale, I would give them a break.  What about you folks?

My original implication was not that a kid would not take care of an 800 dollar steer, but that a kid did not take care of a 10K steer- More the point. I would and did sell one calf last year for 800. But as you said it was a special situation. You are right the price of calf should not effect how much a child does or does not care for an animal. Again not my intent. 

Latest posts