Would you use a bull this colour??? New pics from CWA

Help Support Steer Planet:

garybob

Show stopper 95 said:
In Texas we call that color pattern a shorthorn so yes!
Yes, but, Y'all's "Experts" that "Classify" at all of Y'uns' Texas Major Shows will send a solid-red one with a true, breed-character head & all the right pieces back to the Stalls, and accept a splotchy, Orange Roan one (with Brindle Stripes in his face & legs) to enter the ring.

Who trained those guys, many of whom are Educators, as to what a Shorthorn looks like?

GB

RyanChandler

garybob said:
Show stopper 95 said:
In Texas we call that color pattern a shorthorn so yes!
Yes, but, Y'all's "Experts" that "Classify" at all of Y'uns' Texas Major Shows will send a solid-red one with a true, breed-character head & all the right pieces back to the Stalls, and accept a splotchy, Orange Roan one (with Brindle Stripes in his face & legs) to enter the ring.

Who trained those guys, many of whom are Educators, as to what a Shorthorn looks like?

GB

Had to be someone up in the Yankee Midwest...

I've looked through a lot of old shorthorn pics and I've never seen one w/ those type markings.

Hilltop

Here are a few pics we took yesterday of Kudo. He is still a bull and still not sure what we are doing with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Kudo 1.jpg
    Kudo 1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Kudo 2.jpg
    Kudo 2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Kudo 3.jpg
    Kudo 3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 215
  • Kudo 4 (1).jpg
    Kudo 4 (1).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Kudo 5.jpg
    Kudo 5.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 233

Duncraggan

He looks good, by himself, to me.  How does he compare with his contemporaries?  That will/should be the ultimate deciding factor!

Hilltop

Well......................he is still a bull and here is a pic from CWA

Attachments

• Kudo CWA.jpg
    Kudo CWA.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 314

tamarack

This is a bull I bought from HC he was an et of saskvalley pioneer 126 and Hc lady Sophia 7n unfortunaly lost him early and only got one calf crop out of him got one really good bull calf 

used him on comerical herd and great results

all the r/w or b/w calves were heifers and all bulls were solid black or red used him on all pb this year.

justintime

Hilltop's bull that is pictured here is flat out good. Tremendous thickness and depth of body. Excellent muscle pattern and sound structured. He is a real tank!

Hilltop

Thanks for all the positive comments. We need to decide within the week whether he is in the bull sale March 27th or staying at home.

trevorgreycattleco

IMO, if you still need to decide, put him in the sale. If your gut says keep him, then keep him. It's your cows.

Personally the last pic of him did it for me. I'd use him. See what he produces. You just never know. If everything else about him says herd bull then by no means should a funky color pattern deter you. Shorthorns after all are known for neat individual colors.

trevorgreycattleco

I will say before I saw the last pic I wasn't sure. The front view of him was lacking for me. I'd like to see him from the front again but from the side he looks really good.

Hilltop

tamarack said:
Great looking bull, what is the sale in march?
The sale is the "Sun Country Bull and Female Sale"

X Bar.......As far as to compare to Cowboy we feel he is better in a few ways. He has a butt on him that we have not had on any bull or steer that we have raised before. It was kind of neat to see people from so many different breeds at Agribition coming by the stall and said they seen him going to or from tie-outs and just wanted to check him out. He has a tremendous top on him and a pile of guts and can walk. Some say he is too wide in the front but to get as much behind as he has you are not going to get a pencil front. Cowboy had all these traits but in moderation and was smoother fronted. Kudo had a 91 lb bw compared to Cowboy at 103, but his dam Winegum never left a very small pen from Sept till she calved after healing up from her broken leg so we believe that possibly added another 10 lbs on his BW.

Momma and Lil Hilltop would probably argue with me but I believe that our Yagermeister bull we sold in 2012 that was sired by ACC General was the best of the three but he died in August last year after being hit by lightning so never came back home to make the fall run with us.

justintime

Hilltop said:
tamarack said:
Great looking bull, what is the sale in march?
The sale is the "Sun Country Bull and Female Sale"

X Bar.......As far as to compare to Cowboy we feel he is better in a few ways. He has a butt on him that we have not had on any bull or steer that we have raised before. It was kind of neat to see people from so many different breeds at Agribition coming by the stall and said they seen him going to or from tie-outs and just wanted to check him out. He has a tremendous top on him and a pile of guts and can walk. Some say he is too wide in the front but to get as much behind as he has you are not going to get a pencil front. Cowboy had all these traits but in moderation and was smoother fronted. Kudo had a 91 lb bw compared to Cowboy at 103, but his dam Winegum never left a very small pen from Sept till she calved after healing up from her broken leg so we believe that possibly added another 10 lbs on his BW.

Momma and Lil Hilltop would probably argue with me but I believe that our Yagermeister bull we sold in 2012 that was sired by ACC General was the best of the three but he died in August last year after being hit by lightning so never came back home to make the fall run with us.

While I will agree that the other bulls you mentioned were excellent bulls, my pick of them would still be the bull pictured here. He is so good in his rear quarter, over all thickness and muscle pattern, and if the only problem people can come up with is that he is too wide based, I think that is very flattering to his quality. IMO, he is not too wide through his front end, and while he has width throughout his body, this is much better than being not wide enough. Like any beast he is not perfect but his good pieces are so much better than many other bulls have that I think he is a very good one. His sire Matrix seemed to add many of these traits to his offspring. I just wish we could find another herd sire like him. I will definitely be using Matrix much more after seeing the calves his daughters raised this year. I will also add, that after getting one group of Matrix embryos sold to the UK, every Matrix sired embryo I had sold to breeders over there when the ET calves arrived. I think he is still one of the most under rated sires in the breed.