Wound or ??????

Help Support Steer Planet:

Stihlpro

Looks like this heifers eye got punctured............ or is it something else?  ???    If it did get punctured, what precautions should be taken?

Attachments

• eye.JPG
    eye.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 333

Stihlpro

I ended up shrinking the pic to much.  If you click on the title below the pic you can zoom in on it.

justintime

it could be an injury or it could be an eye infection like pink eye. I usually tie the animal head securely so you have access to the damaged eye and with a very fine needle, roll up the eye lid an dinjectr 1 cc of Penicillin into the eye lid. I also give them a good injection of Liquimycin LA ( or similar drug ) IM. If it is pinkeye or some other infection, it should stop it and it will just take some time for the healing to be complete and the scar on the eye to disappear. If it is severe enough, it may always have a white scar on the eye.

kanshow

What JIT says!!          We've also used some dex with the penicillin in the eyelid.  It probably wouldn't hurt to put a patch over her eye to help with flys, dust, and to keep her from squinting in the sunlight.  Apparently the later is the key as they continue to irritate it.  FWIW.. I think it looks like pinkeye.. should heal but might leave a white spot

CAB

Along with the injection into the eyelid, you can lso take the needle off and squirt some pen. in & around the eye so as to bath the eye.

kanshow

Has anyone had much success with vetrycin?    We are trying it on one this year but can't say I'm 100% sold on it.

Cowboy

These pics sure look like the advanced stage of Pink Eye to me, as it already has the red VOLCANO looking protrusion showing. The next sep is where it ruptures and the eye will essentially collapse and be dry and dead.

At this point, you will most likely end up with a white and for the most part -- blind eye, but not always entirely.

I have had great success in the earlier stages of the problem by injecting pen into the socket above the eye ball, but in the later stages, it does not work as well.

Now I use a 1-2 ml squirt of Nuflor -- no needle, just squirted on the eye and massages around. I absolutley DO know this is ""Extra Lable"" so keep that in mind, but it does work and within a few days the redness is gone and the swelling as well. These advnced stages though tend to be less effective no matter what you use. An eye patch as most have said will keep the sun from further hurting the tissues and keep her from squinting as well, leave em on for a week or more, they make a difference over time.

The real key to these things is EARLY reccognition and treatment. The sooner the better, often times with no long term affects. This one may be pretty far along to tell what will happen.

Best of luck -- Terry

Stihlpro

Cowboy said:
These pics sure look like the advanced stage of Pink Eye to me, as it already has the red VOLCANO looking protrusion showing. The next sep is where it ruptures and the eye will essentially collapse and be dry and dead.

At this point, you will most likely end up with a white and for the most part -- blind eye, but not always entirely.

I have had great success in the earlier stages of the problem by injecting pen into the socket above the eye ball, but in the later stages, it does not work as well.

Now I use a 1-2 ml squirt of Nuflor -- no needle, just squirted on the eye and massages around. I absolutley DO know this is ""Extra Lable"" so keep that in mind, but it does work and within a few days the redness is gone and the swelling as well. These advnced stages though tend to be less effective no matter what you use. An eye patch as most have said will keep the sun from further hurting the tissues and keep her from squinting as well, leave em on for a week or more, they make a difference over time.

The real key to these things is EARLY reccognition and treatment. The sooner the better, often times with no long term affects. This one may be pretty far along to tell what will happen.

Best of luck -- Terry

Wow!  Have never had pink eye here before.  Didn't even know a protrusion would occur.  I look at these critters daily and hadn't noticed a thing until yesterday.  Live in Western WA and have only had 3 sunny days in the last month.  Rain most of the rest.  Weird.  Thanks to all that have posted! 

jbzdad

we sew these eyes closed with big absorbable (think 0-vicryl) sutures after the antibiotics are given... the sutures usually come out on their own  after about 3 weeks... the sutures are not through the full thickness of the lid... just through the skin superficial to the tarsal plate .. in and out above then in and out below.. (like a lembert stitch) works great and easier than trying to keep a patch on

make sure you hold up that lid and really look around... cheat grass and similar really get this look started also