Wow..Can't believe this happened to me

Help Support Steer Planet:

LinZ

So.... a year ago I had my cow flushed and I went to the place to see her being flushed and after it was over when I was checking her out with her paperwork and everything they told me to check everything on the clipboard and make sure it was correct..well they had the semen straws for their records so I glanced at them and low and behold not the right bull.. A certain semen company had sent the wrong semen to the ET facility and my cow got flushed to not only the wrong bull but totally opposite from what I wanted... Long story short on that one I had a heck of a run around getting that straighten out..

SO today I took her to the vet to have her preg checked and she was open but he noticed she was fixing to be in full heat since she had follicles and was showing signs ..  so he said well..if there's anywhere around here you can get semen I can go ahead and AI her for you since she's on her natural heat and everything.. I was like well sucks she's open but at least there's a bright side to the situation.. I can get her bred on her natural cycle and hope everything goes good...So I went and picked up the semen.. was loading my other calves while the vet bred her..came back to get the paperwork and he was fixing to throw the semen straws away and just jokingly I said can I see the straws...Just in case she got bred to the wrong bull..just joking.. well what would you know... She was supposed to be bred to Manchild and wound up being bred to Yellow Jacket..which Yellow Jacket I don't know.

Anyway... I guess my point is I'm amazed at how this happens and for those that don't I suggest checking the straws and making sure they have the correct bull and code on then after you AI the heifer/cow...

LinZ

Hoosier

I had a friend that did the same thing...but it was his mistake. Wanted to breed a cow to Heat Wave but pulled a straw from the wrong cane...ended up breeding her to Sunseeker.

kanshow

That stinks!!  What is that saying .. if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all'    I hope it works out..  

I know we goofed up afew years ago.. put semen of 2 different bulls in the same canister & the codes were something lilke 565 &  656.. one was a calving ease and the other would have been a big mistake in a heifer..

Cowboy

LinZ I am sorry you had this happen to you -- it should never go this way -- EVER.

Here -- I may be somewhat of a nut case, but accuracy is EVERYTHING. Not only do I verify the name on the straw of semen that goes into your donor, I actually look at the semen BEFORE it goes in your cow. I have a habit (You can ask any one who uses me here) of always getting a plan "B" before I hang up the phone with the owners of any donor.

More times than I care to remember, I have had to go to plan "B" well into the early morning hours so as not to have to call and wake up the owners. I tend to breed very late in the cycle, and that is usually way past mid-night.

Have had the wrong semen straws shipped to me from more than one center -- and the CANE code was correct, the semen in that cane was not the bull it was sposed to be. As well, many times the selected bull was junk semen -- so plan B was needed to assure fertilization.

Verification rests soley on the practitioner -- so I have very little worries here -- I feel bad for you and your donor though.

Why was she still open?? Did she calve after her flush or was she just never bred back? Seems like a long time for her to stay open and you not know it!

Take care -- good lesson learned come hard and are expensive -- history will prove that for sure!

Terry

LinZ

Long story... She calved April 07.... wanted to flush her but not during the hot summer months in south alabama so I held her open to flush in the fall.. After that I was going back and forth between TX and AL and didn't have the equipment to AI her myself nor noone else in Alabama that could so she stayed open..not what I wanted but only thing I could do and then when she came out to Texas there was a guy interested in her that wanted her bred to his choice and he backed out... so then finally I decided to get a May/June calf and had her AI'd in Aug.. but we sent her to the guy who AI'd her where she would come in heat at his place on her natural cycle and then he didn't watch her..gave her lut right after she came in heat...so it had no affect on her and even though she showed no signs of heat he AI'd her and sent her back.. I'm thinking this would be the reason she didn't take... She flushed ok and she bred as a heifer the first time..and she was ultrasounded today and there wasn't anything that appeared wrong on the inside.... so in 10 days she'll get another shot and go off to be AI'd again... I'm about ready to send her to you Cowboy and let you keep her up there for me lol.

LinZ

Cowboy

LinZ -- she would be more than welcome here -- if you ever get this way -- bring her along -- she'll be treated as royalty here.

I know it probably isn't feasable for you to do so, but the offer stands!

Hope things turn out for you -- doesn't sound like she has had a fair shake to even get bred.

Best of luck -- keep the faith OK??

Terry

chambero

On the bright side, a mistake involving Yellow Jacket could be worse.  He's a heck of bull and works on a lot of stuff.  Good calves (yellow and black) are coming out of him, both bull calves and heifers.

klintdog

Unless it's the Rodeo bull Yellow Jacket....then again you might end up making more money off that calf :)

fluffer

I flushed a cow one time to a bull, everyting was fine, calves were born and one of the calves had some white on her belly not normal for a Gelbvieh, but not unheard of.  Well after a little investigating, the semen that had been shipped to me was part of a collection that accidently got mixed with another bull of the Dairy variety.  So out of 3 calves I got 2 pb gelbviehs and 1 gelbvieh X Holstien.  I did get an insurance payment for it.  But I did keep her and used her for a recip and this year she has her own heifer calf that I think I may keep as well.  She milks great, breeds back easy and has plenty of flesh.  The funny part is, the bull I originally flushing to is very poor on his milk EPD, we teased his owners that they would do anything to get his Milk EPD up.

Fluffer

LinZ

I'm not gona say I don't like the Yellow Jacket bull but I don't think he would work the best with my cow..I think the front end would be pretty rough.

LN

I think I have a case of a misplaced straw. I have a red calf that is supposed to be sired by Star Power (homozygous black) and out of a red dam. So either there was a misplaced straw in the cane or SP's test was wrong and he's heterzygous black. I guess I'll have to DNA test the calf to find out what happened.

LinZ

Hmmm... I have family members to Star Power.. didn't ever notice that he was HOMO blk. I know for awhile Antionettes Star was the only Homo Blk son of Dream On.. I would certainly have the calf DNA'd

dimebag

LinZ said:
I'm not gona say I don't like the Yellow Jacket bull but I don't think he would work the best with my cow..I think the front end would be pretty rough.
You will be impressed by a yellow jacket calf and the front end will be cleaner than you might think .. I've got 8 of them and they are all nice and clean fronted .