yellow fat?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Diamond

I ended up taking a heifer to the slaughter house the other day, and after it was set and done the butcher walked up to me and said she had yellow fat? what the heck is that? I know dairy cattle can have it like jerseys but I have never had one with it befor. Whats it do the meat? she was an eyes on the money heifer I purchesed. any input would be great.

caldanmc

I have seen a lot of carcasses in my life.  Generally, yellow fat can be attributed to the diet of the cattle being slaughtered.  If they are on a grain ration, the fat tends to be white.  Those cattle that are sustained on a diet of roughage  or those kept on pasture tend to have a more yellow colored fat.  The quality of the meat is not affected by the color of the fat, but it is a reason my you see very little grass fed beef in super market meat cases...it just isn't that appealing.

TJ

My grass fed meat typically has fat that is a very rich creamy colored fat with a slight yellow tint.  It does indeed look totally different than the grain fed meat does with it's white fat.  However, the meat itself is a brighter red & I've actually had customers who think it is actually "more appealing" because of that.  So it's 6 one way, half a dozen the other.  Honestly, I almost don't like to eat grainfed beef anymore, as I don't think that it tastes as good.       

olsun

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't yellow fat more common in aged cattle such as cows, as compared to young grain fed slaughter cattle ?

Shady Lane

Yes yellow fat is commonly attributed to aged cattle, but that is not the only cause.

As mentioned diet plays a role in the fat cover and colour, yellow fat can also be caused by a corn based diet.

I believe it's the Beta Carotine in the corn that causes the fat to be tinted yellow.

HGC

Yellow fat can be caused by the storage of excess Vitamin A.  Most small grains and grain by products are very low in Vitamin A, with the exception of yellow corn (which can be variable).  Forages are high in beta carotene (plant form of vitamin A).  Typically the higher the quality of the forage the higher the amount of beta carotene.  Ex. Fresh pasture (extremely high), 5 year old CRP hay (low but still higher than oats).

CAB

Diamond said:
I ended up taking a heifer to the slaughter house the other day, and after it was set and done the butcher walked up to me and said she had yellow fat? what the heck is that? I know dairy cattle can have it like jerseys but I have never had one with it before. Whats it do the meat? she was an eyes on the money heifer I purchased. any input would be great.

Would you mind telling us what type of diet she had been on and for how long. As mentioned above diet, age, & breed to some extent can contribute. I used to work in a locker and everything mentioned will have an effect on color of the fat. Jersey's do have a natural yellow/tan tint & there a # of PPL that think that jersey fattened out are the best meat that they have ever had.

ploughshare

HGC said:
Yellow fat can be caused by the storage of excess Vitamin A.  Most small grains and grain by products are very low in Vitamin A, with the exception of yellow corn (which can be variable).  Forages are high in beta carotene (plant form of vitamin A).  Typically the higher the quality of the forage the higher the amount of beta carotene.  Ex. Fresh pasture (extremely high), 5 year old CRP hay (low but still higher than oats).
This is a correct explanation.

Diamond

I bought her threw a sale in PA at six months, had her on grain for a few months but she just dident pan out she was put on good pasture. Then on a hay/chop corn up untill kill time.  All I know was she was an eyes on the money on a angus cross cow, and an absolute pud. Never got any hight to her.

WhoaFlicka

yellow fat has alot to do with  the taste my opion taste like donkey balls just an expresion when we have a young cow we want to butcher we will grain it for 45 to 60 days that will get rid of it

Aussie

WhoaFlicka said:
yellow fat has alot to do with  the taste my opion taste like donkey balls just an expresion when we have a young cow we want to butcher we will grain it for 45 to 60 days that will get rid of it
As some one who may have seen more grass feed carcases than most on the board (twenty years buying grass fed cattle for a packer and seeing them hanging) and living in an area where 90% of the beef served or sold is grass fed I would say that the colour of the fat due to beta carotene does not affect flavour. Grass fed beef has a stronger flavour which many that are not used to can find quiet different. Grain will whiten fat but IMO while making beef consistant makes it taste bland and with highly marbled beef soapy. JMO
But in saying this I have not had Donkey balls so I can not really compare the two.

CAB

Aussie said:
WhoaFlicka said:
As some one who may have seen more grass feed carcases than most on the board (twenty years buying grass fed cattle for a packer and seeing them hanging) and living in an area where 90% of the beef served or sold is grass fed I would say that the colour of the fat due to beta carotene does not affect flavour. Grass fed beef has a stronger flavour which many that are not used to can find quiet different. Grain will whiten fat but IMO while making beef consistant makes it taste bland and with highly marbled beef soapy. JMO
But in saying this I have not had Donkey balls so I can not really compare the two.
Anyone have any Donkey Balls we can ship down under? LOL

Latest posts