Young People

Help Support Steer Planet:

Joe Boy

Last night as it was getting dark, I was sitting in Bevos, a hamburger place belonging to a U. Texas fan, waiting on a truck driver to bring me some supplies.  Two college age students and their mother walked in.  The girl who had already finished college and is an RN in Dallas saw me and came and hugged me....me dirty and all.  Her brother came up and pat me on the back and shook my hand.  I am not in their social circle and do not go to church with them and their dad works at the bank I use but I never spend time with him.  Their mom's dad was a friend of my dad but I only saw him a couple of times.  Why would them be so friendly to me, some might ask.  Well, it could be that I officiated basketball games and football games when they were growing up, but that usually doesn't make a lot of friends for you.  It was because they know that I have worked so hard helping all the kids who show livestock.  I get the barn ready, clean it up afterwards and for 23 years have washed the stalls after the county show.  I work the ring during the show and like their dad have given kids projects who could not afford it.  I have often thought about quitting as the ones like me who do the hard work are often never recognized, but last night two beautiful young people made my day and even my life worth while.  I love kids and love being around good kids.  There are so many wonderful kids that never get recognized either, only the bad ones.

There have been several football teams and other athletes from colleges that have gotten in trouble lately.  They made the news, but what about the good ones.  One young man a couple of years ago was going to start for Baylor in football.  His dad is a local trash collector.  He called his dad and asked him to tell me so I could watch or listen to his game.  This boy was a local star.  He made a great man and got a very good education.  His brother who could have played D I never went to college as he had no motivation.  I refereed a lot of games both of them played and wore the white cap.  I was honored that a young boy from the wrong side of town and black, would want me to watch him play.  I had only seen him twice in public outside a stadium, but he thought enough of me to want me to watch him.  I was the one honored.

I had a 3 time all American football player to come to a party my wife and I gave.  He made all pro several times and when I saw him at a gas station he was shy and timid as we spoke.  He was a poor white boy who took care of his mother in an unbelievable way.  He came to my party.  I was honored greatly.

An older man I have met is the singer, Jimmy Dean.  His mother raised her boys in the very poorest part of Plainview, TX.  I have been to the house where Jimmy and his brother was raised.  Jimmy never did forget her and he did not want people to make over him.  I have eaten at the next table to his.  He is a common man who never forgot his roots.  He cared for his mother deeply.  Next mother's day listen to his record of appreciation for his mother.  That is the way it really happened.

There are good people.  There are great young people. 

When I leave this world, I hope that someone can say of me that I helped young people have a better life.

sawboss

Joe Boy,  Isn't it nice to have those contacts with people, especially the younger ones that truly care about the events and situations you had a part in.  I was fortunate to coach a young African American student who virtually changed before my very eyes.  As a Junior in High School he was very talented, very lazy and very slow in school.  His own teammates disliked him because of lack of work ethic and attitude in practice, as well as the coaching staff.  The summer between his Junior and Senior year something changed in him, he came back as a young adult willing to work, learn and become a leader on our football team.  After graduation he went to Blinn Jr. College in Brenham, Texas on a football scholarship as a strong safety.  His great love was track, so he approached the Coach about running for their 7 time National Junior College Championship program, and was told he was not good enough to make the team.  To make a long story short he not only made the team, but led them to two more national titles.  This young man went on to represent the U.S.A. twice on Olympic teams running the 400 meter hurdles for his country.  One of my fondest memories is seeing this young man at a football game during his famous years and having him approach me and my oldest son, where he presented my son with an autographed Olympic Track Card.  He took my hand and thanked me for not giving up, or giving in to him during his High school days.  In his words, "Because of people like you I have been able to see the world and have experiences nobody else from Garrison, TX. will ever have."  It still brings tears to my eyes when I tell of this story, because the student became the teacher.  I learned more about teaching and people in general from this experience than any other, because I had given up on him.  He just didn't realize it and didn't give up on himself.  Today Eric Thomas is a motivational speaker, touring the country and helping kids help themselves.  So please continue to do those thankless jobs, because you have learned as I have you never know when your actions are really making a difference.
P.S.  What part of the state are you located in?

cowz

Atta boy Joe Boy!! ;D

I always run into ref's from my own days and my kid's era.  They are also highly respected here.  Takes a lot of character to drive 50 miles on snow and ice to officiate a game at a podunk high school and get in the middle of home town rivalries.  Thanks for what you do!

ELBEE

That is so "deep and real".

Our county commission spends 10 times the funds handling juvenile delinquents than it does on the county fair budget. Funny how you hardly ever here of any 4-Her's in the delinquencies program.  What's the ratio of 4-Her's to delinquents, at least in rural areas, 100 to 1? I think extra curricular school activities are almost as good as 4-H.

Grandpa wasn't kidding when he said. "Idol hands are the devil's work shop!"

Jill

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove-but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child"
We have had this sign up in our bathroom for the past 20 years, sometimes we tend to loose sight of the reasons we do what we do and this helps us to put life back in perspective.  The rewards are there, you just sometimes need to take a step back to see them.

Cowboy

Joe Boy and every one else who reads this -- NOW you all know why I spent the better part of the last four years posting to questions from young readers, and those not so young, on the various things in reproduction and cattle in general.

We live in a part of SW Neb that has few people, fewer visitors, and lots of not so tame critters. I've spent 30 years in the breeding business both A-I and ET, and I just felt compelled to at least try and pass on some of that experience. I hope I succeeded in some small way. I still get about 50 emails a week asking for help with this or that, and that makes me feel complete!

My only fear in doing this was that by chance I had given a bad reccomendation on something, so far I haven't heard, but I always worry about the bad end and never about the good. I hope at least a few young or struggling people gathered something helpfull from a few of my answers. Sure makes a fella feel good when you get an e-mail from some one you have never met thanking you for saving the day. Even one makes it all worth while!

Thanks for the nice rendition of hope and well being Joe Boy -- way to GOOOOOOOOO!

Terry

Joe Boy

I live in north central Texas about 60 miles northwest of Wichita Falls.

Tonight I watched my grandson quarterback his team to victory, but was more impressed by the loosing team.  After the game they met in the middle of the field with the Wellington team for prayer.  They went over in front of their band and few fans for their school song with helmets held high and when the Wellington band played their school song with cheerleaders and football team standing in front of them, the loosing team (Bovina) stood facing Wellington's band and crowd just behind the Wellington team.  What a show of sportsmanship and respect.  Wonder if the pros could ever be so nice and humble?

Last year I watched our home team who won state after every game sing the school song in front of our fans and then with voices blending tell the fans, "We thank you for coming and supporting us."  What was so wonderful about that was they really meant it.

I wanted to return to officiating this year but injured my knee.  I love the kids as 99% are great. 

I have taught distance running.  I will say this about the sport, the absolute best kids in high school are those you participate in this sport.  They are good students and they never cause trouble.  Why?  It takes discipline to do what they do and that carries over into all aspects of their lives.  They get up at 5 a.m. to run, clean up and go to school.  I have found this true of most kids that show livestock, if they love it, they make sacrifices and are disciplined.

I have never felt like kids are going to the dogs........ I think kids who have discipline, self discipline, are the best kids in the world.  They are motivated.  They care about more than themselves.  They have goals.  And the really great ones of this bunch are humble and appreciative....

I had two teachers who really encouraged me.  My ag teacher helped me do something my dad would not help me do.  He teased me and made life's trials fun.  The other one was a science teacher who took his teaching too serious, but he told me on two different occasions, "when you go to college, major in genetics!"  "When you go to college, be a public speaker."  No one else ever told me I could be somebody.  Let's spend our time her helping young people to know that they can be somebody and they can do something important.  That we have confidence in them as a talented person.  As an official when kids were struggling in a game or upset at a teammate, I always tried to get them to focus on the challenge at hand in a light hearted way.  Life is worth living even when we loose.  The sun rises tomorrow with new adventures and challenges that bring opportunities.  Kids need to know that.....

Telos

Young people are shaped in accordance to the specifications set by the mold makers.

Great discussion. Really have enjoyed reading everyone's stories.