Your advice and help on my investment.

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

You mentioned that she was eating between 10 and 20 lbs of feed per day. Right now that is way too much fluctuation in her daily intake. That alone will not her feel ill. I would rather be on the lower side and keep her wanting to come to the table. I think 10 to 12 lbs per day until you can tell she is feeling normal then increase her feed to where you want her to be. I would let her have all of the long stemmed good grass hay that she wants. JMO. Brent

GLZ

Good luck with your heifer.  I hope everything clears up with her.

I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but one thing you may want to think of is insurance.  It took me losing two bred heifers before I bought into this theory, but we will now insure all of the breds we buy at least until the first calf hits the ground.  It is relatively inexpensive, and it can make a very difficult situation slightly more tolerable.

Davis Shorthorns

StillLearning said:

I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but one thing you may want to think of is insurance.  It took me losing two bred heifers before I bought into this theory, but we will now insure all of the breds we buy at least until the first calf hits the ground.  It is relatively inexpensive, and it can make a very difficult situation slightly more tolerable.

who do you use?  All the ones that I have seen require a vets sig. saying that they are healthy. 

Dusty

Davis Shorthorns said:
StillLearning said:

who do you use?  All the ones that I have seen require a vets sig. saying that they are healthy. 

If you buy them through an auction my insurance company will waive the vet inspection.  I'm not sure how long after the auction that is good for though.

GLZ

We use Kiesewetter Livestock Insurance out of Farmington, IL.  They just changed names however so I don't believe they are Kiesewetter any longer.  We usually insure right after the auction, so they accept the health papers as a vet's signature.

[/quote]

[/quote]