Your opinion of this Heifer Please!

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

My brother was very much into showing cattle in his day,  he faded away from it but now has kids that are ready to show.  He has always known and liked good cattle and has been very selective in genetic selection while keeping the spending somewhat  limited.  He refuses to buy calves and wants to raise his own for his kids.  He is using A.I to get where he wants but hasn't dove into the clubby or Maine  bulls yet, except for Ice Chest(I wonder why).  He A.I.  bred the heifers to a real good Freedom Son that Freds Angus & Charolais raised named Action.  This Heifer is out of a first calf 1/2 blood Sim/Angus.  Just wanted to get others opinions.

This Heifer was the Feeder Heifer champion last year at our county fair.

Thanks,

RSC

Attachments

• Snickers 1.jpg
    Snickers 1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 686

OH Breeder

Nice female RSC.
Lots of body and depth. Fairly clean neck with simmi blood. Pretty fancy. I can think of lots of good bulls to work on her.

RSC

OH Breeder said:
Nice female RSC.
Lots of body and depth. Fairly clean neck with simmi blood. Pretty fancy. I can think of lots of good bulls to work on her.
My brother would like to flush the Dam of this heifer to get females.  Does anyone have experience with flushing with sex semen?  Also,  He talked about trying to get heifer sexed Semen out of TC Freedom but I am sure it would cost.  Since I could buy Action at close to production cost, what does it cost to get semen sexed?  I would like to send frozen semen and end up with at least 5 straws.  Does frozen semen work to sex or does it need to be fresh?

Thanks,

RSC

Telos

RSC, her depth of body looks great and even harder to breed into them. She looks like she could make a really good cow.

Doc

My brother would like to flush the Dam of this heifer to get females.  Does anyone have experience with flushing with sex semen?   Also,  He talked about trying to get heifer sexed Semen out of TC Freedom but I am sure it would cost.  Since I could buy Action at close to production cost, what does it cost to get semen sexed?  I would like to send frozen semen and end up with at least 5 straws.  Does frozen semen work to sex or does it need to be fresh?

Thanks,

RSC
[/quote]

RSC, I might be wrong on this, but it has to be done with fresh semen. They inject it with dye & then sort it. I think there is only a couple of places that do this. I was talking to a guy at TN Agribition that just took his bull CF Firestone to Texas to do it & with fuel included he said he would have about $18,000.00 in 100 straws of sexed semen. We had CF Primo collected & sexed in Iowa I think, cost to owners with board included is  $187.00 for 5 mil units . We did collect some 2 mil units at $75.00 for IVF flushing(which is a total waste). If you use sexed semen be sure & tell your embryologist. Also I think you're only at 90% guarantee of getting hfrs, it's not 100%.

Jill

Really nice heifer.  Something about how her shoulder blends in doesn't look right, but may be just the picture.

P-F

WE HAVE USED SEXED SEMEN TO BREED OUR HEIFERS (2 MIL CON) USE THE 5 MIL TO FLUSH
I ALWAYS HEARD 90% BUT THAT IS THE % ACCURACY THAT YOU WILL GET A HEIFER.

THIS YEAR WE HAD 6 HEIFER BRED TO SEXED HEIFER SEMEN AND GOT ONE BULL.

IT WILL HELP YOU HEIFER BULL RATIO BUT YOU ARE NOT GUARANTEED TO GET A HEIFER  SAME WITH EMBRYOS FROM A SEXED FLUSH.

WHEN YOU AI WITH SEXED SEMEN THE CONCEPTION RATE IS LOWER THAN NORMAL AI AND YOU SHOULD ONLY AI HEIFERS WITH SEXED SEMEN.  BECAUSE THEY HAVE A SMALL TRACT

AND IF YOU ARE FLUSHING WITH IT YOU WILL NEED AT LEAST 3, 5 MIL STRAWS AND YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR VET OR IF YOU ARE SKILLED ENOUGH HORN BREED HER.

ALSO YOU CAN USE FROZEN SEMEN BUT THE ONLY PLACE I KNOW DOING IT IS TRANS OVA AND IT HAS TO BE IVF

WE TRIED IT LAST YEAR WORKED OUT OK

THE IVF'S CAN BE FROZEN NOW BUT THE CONCEPTION IS ABOUT 40-50%  THEY ARE WORKING ON IMPROVING THE TECHNIQUE

AND ONLY TRANS OVA REPS CAN PUT IN THE FROZEN EGGS.

YOU ALSO HAVE THE OPTION OF USING THEIR OVER PRICED RECIPS AND DOING FRESH THE CONCEPTION IS MUCH BETTER.

RSC

Jill said:
Really nice heifer.  Something about how her shoulder blends in doesn't look right, but may be just the picture.
Jill,  I believe it could be the picture and of course my rough clip job.  I just brought her to my place and had to spend about 3 hours getting the mud balls out of her.  The clipjob is the first rough out and I will spend more time at it later.

Thanks,

RSC