Your routine for newley purched calves?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mcdonald Show Animals

Just thought this might be a good topic what is your routine with new show calves when you get them home? (feed, amount of work, type of work steps to halter breaking, shots, wormers) its a wide subject but there are a lot of us younger people that would like the elders advice :D 

strawroanlova

basicaly when i get em home i  leave them be for about 3 days. then i start halter breaking and i use treats to entise him.i tie him up and rice root him then i feed,he works really well because he knows that when hes done he will get food and he eats like a pig

azgrower

I let him chill for a few days. Then I start by talking to him, and after that I tie him up, and start getting my hands on him, or a stick. Basically this "pet and talk" phase can last quite awhile depending on how broncy they are, it took me about 2 months. Then I started to lead him along the fence, me outside. He responded well to that, so then one day, I just went for it.

We tied him up to a corner in the pen, then opened the gate, got acquainted and someone else untied him. Then, you coil the lead in one hand and hold a show stick, and in the other(right) hold the halter lead, close to his face. If he tries to charge you, wack him between the eyes with the blunt end of the show stick. Doesn't really hurt them, but they get the point after a few wacks. Then just start walking him. If you feel him getting a little bold, then jerk up on the lead and hold his head up and turn to right while digging your elbow into their neck if necessary. Then just keep on him, walk everyday if you can.

knabe

azgrower said:
Then, you coil the lead in one hand

i never coil the rope, you can get your hand in there and get drug pretty easy.  make the lead into an S (that's an ess not a five) at least or have part of it in each hand with some slack between them.  very scary watching someone get their hand in a coil.  seen it happen with both steers AND horses in college.  verrrrrry  scary.  various methods to get them to not need to get batted with a stick, usually just associated with them going around you and you getting them to take their inside rear leg and place it in front of their outside rear leg which gets them out of gear with you staying inside their arc.  amazing how fast it works.  no need for bopping.  watch out for treats as this teaches them to sniff you for them alluded to earlier in either this thread or another one.  most horse people don't like to hand feed their horses for this very reason.

DL

A slightly different take - what I would do with new heifers that could be show heifers but I want them to stay as cows in my herd
-isolate from cow herd 2- 4 weeks
-test for PVD PI
-test for bovine leukosis
-after a week or so deworm, vaccinate
-booster vaccinations
-if no evidence of disease and all testing is negative can be comingled with other heifers
-never mix show heifers or steers with cow herd (ie if they go to a show they could pick up a virus that cans can cause abortion in cows)

kslivstkbroker

sorry about the heifer sometimes things happen 4 a reason  i know u dont have alot of money 2 replace ur heifer put dont buy a cheaper heifer. buy a better heifer this well help ur daughter more than anything help her start winning she will forget about the accident! this what i did 4 my daughter when her show pig burnt up 2 weeks before the fair he was the won she could have won the fair with! iwent out bought the best pigs that week 4 the  American royal n k c sold 3 of my my  best sows 2 get the money  best investment i made had Good time did really well 2nds ,3rds in the cross classes 2nd in the heavy york class, she knew the sacrifice that i made 4 her never spoke much about the loss of her pig ! this is one of our fondness memories . hope this may help u if u can give me a price range  where u r located probable can help u out  u can reach me at [email protected] u might read about round penning steers like horses i used this method really works tie my steers up when feeding them  first 10- 15 min then turn them loose , when they r leading take them on trailer rides tied short this year they were  leading &riding  n first 2 weeks 2 steers at atime 2 or 3 miles n the trailer start backing up 2 the gate loading them then tieing them  idid this with no help, sure miss my old heeler dog ,but i learned Patience hope this helps does it have2 be a angus  u may lookin 2 leasing 2 purchase let me know?

AAOK

Since we raised our calves, it was all associated with weaning.  Calves are weaned at 4-5 months, penned in a lot, across the fence from Mama.  Show ration, grass hay, and water are available free choice for 1 week.

Second week rope halters go on the calves, and allowed to drag on the ground. Feed show ration morning and evening; a little hay in the evening.  After a couple of days, halters are grabbed, and the calves are rubbed, patted, scratched.  Toward the end of this week, we catch the calves at feed time, and tie with  heads up.  After the feed has been dumped in the troughs, the calves are lead to the feed, and tied.  After 15-20 minutes, they are lead to the rails, and tied with their heads up.  Remaining feed is cleaned up, and time is spent on rubbing, brushing, combing, and putting the show stick on the calves.  About 30 minutes.

Third week is the same treatment, and begin clipping.  Shots, worming, etc. are also done about this time.  Begin walking calves in large and small circles.  Begin "setting up" for show.

Calves are always lead to feed, and always remain tied while they eat.  Feed is never left in the trough.  Maximum hay is 3 pounds/day.

Ready to show by Six Months of age.

Mcdonald Show Animals

AAOK do you use your show ration as a creep feed to?  Everyone thanks for the advice I am going to compile it and fit it to work in my schedule the info is greatly appreciated.

Show Dad

It's all about stress management for us. We will hold off on any big events like halter breaking for a couple of weeks to let them settle in. But one thing we are going to change is a proactive effort to control ringworm.

Always watching feed intake especially if there is a change in diet from where we got them.

Ruchian

I wait about a week before I do anything with them.  I start off mainly just tying them up and just being around them, brushing and putting my hands on them so that they get used to me.  Before I actually bring them home I like to talk to the breeder and find out what feed they use and when they were wormed and what shots they need.  I like to start the calve on what ever feed they were being fed then switch them over to what I plan on feeding.

red

I give them a good bath in an anti-fungus shampoo like Sullivans. Also if they came w/ a halter I spray it down w/ the anti-fungus equipment spray.
Do a through head to tail check to make sure there is no ringworm, warts or sores. I go through them with a fine tooth comb.
Usally schedule a hoof trimming session w/ the brother-in-law after the get settled.

then lots of love, attention & many head rubs! Good luck & have fun!

Red

AAOK

Mcdonald Show Animals said:
AAOK do you use your show ration as a creep feed to?  Everyone thanks for the advice I am going to compile it and fit it to work in my schedule the info is greatly appreciated.

Yes, once we started with our ration, I began using it for everything; creep feed, show ration, bull feed, and even as my winter supplement for the cows.  Moormans mineral was always free choice in each area too.