Ziptie a tail

Help Support Steer Planet:

AI Man

have a heifer that swings her tail all the time  seen them used before not sure the trick  how high to put it how tight  thx

RuffoniSistersCattle

Can someone explain this more? So this is a trick when you are showing if you have a calf thatnswings there tail often to put a zip tie around the tail? . I have never heard of this trick but have a calf that does this...

Gargan

they are making it against the rules at our state fair this year. several people (bystanders) were asking what the purpose of the zip ties and the officials didnt like the fact of telling them that they were to "deaden" the tail. so, its gonna be a no no this year for our fair

shortyjock89

Gargan said:
they are making it against the rules at our state fair this year. several people (bystanders) were asking what the purpose of the zip ties and the officials didnt like the fact of telling them that they were to "deaden" the tail. so, its gonna be a no no this year for our fair

So instead of a few zip ties, they'd rather you use lidocaine and ace?

loveRedcows

Love your reaction OFS.  "Fit by injection" has really gone too far & never seems to be policed at shows.  A tail swisher irritates the heck out of me but I'll tolerate that before I stick a needle in a spine.  Zip ties work but we have to understand the emotional reactions of non-livestock folks attending these events.  I spend a lot of time with visitors at shows just explaining why the bull has a nose ring!

RuffoniSistersCattle

Gargan said:
Now im really out of the loop!  (lol)  So does the ziptie cut off circulation to the tail as if your leg was asleep etc? Is this highly frowned upon? Is it used more on heifers or bulls than jackpot steers or market etc.

BLSC

Why would ring officials tell the public that it "deadens" the tail, when they could have just told them it makes them not swing their tail around? To the public it's a lot about wording and you just need to watch how you put things. Telling them the later is not a lie, it is completely honest, much more simple, and much less extreme sounding. We want to promote cattle by showing them, yes-even to the general public, because the are the end consumer of our products.

Gargan

i do not know for sure that the officials used the words "deadens" , those were my words, im not exactly sure how they explained it but i do know they felt it was unethical when explaining it.