“New” North American Shorthorn Genetic Evaluation

Help Support Steer Planet:

huntaway

-XBAR- said:
"He himself had a 114 bw but the genes he is passing on are about breed average with I would think a reasonable number of progeny."

The monstrous birthweight genes he passed on got his head cut off.

After using him for 5 seasons?

Okotoks

huntaway said:
-XBAR- said:
"He himself had a 114 bw but the genes he is passing on are about breed average with I would think a reasonable number of progeny."

The monstrous birthweight genes he passed on got his head cut off.

After using him for 5 seasons?

huntaway said:
Epd's are an attempt to eliminate the effects of environment and type of cows and non genetic factors when evaluating an animals performance and Saskvalley Navaho is a perfect example. He himself had a 114 bw but the genes he is passing on are about breed average with I would think a reasonable number of progeny. 
CE is the % difference unassisted births when used over heifers. Not saskvalley heifers but any heifers in the breed. Interesting Taskforce and Yesterday are both been marketed as calving ease and have him quite close in the pedigree
I agree with you Huntaway. Navaho doesn't breed like his actual birth weight. I just checked several dozen of his offspring and most are in the mid 80's to mid 90's with a couple way over that. I am way more interested in a bulls MCE and CE numbers than his birth weight. When I see a low birth weight but poor calving ease then I get concerned. One of the smallest cows in our herd (probably 1050 or 1100) had a 107 lb. calf unassisted. If I want to sell Shorthorn bulls to commercial breeders their daughters have to be able to calve to terminal sires! Navaho is also the sire of Saskvalley Ripper 260R a bull used at both Saskvalley and Double Star CE +14.4, MCE +7.8 and BW -2.2. In turn Rippser is the sire of Saskvalley Task Force 105T MCE +6, CE +15.6 and BW -2.7.

sue

Suppose I only want to purchase Shorthorn influenced cattle ONLY from a WHR herds. Does this show up on the breeders when we do searchs? Do I have to ask if you are WHR or should we include this information on or in our advertising?
TOC breeders have no epds?

J

JTM

Sue, my understanding is that they are discussing and may have already decided on a deal where you have to be WHR in order to receive epd's on your animals. As far as the search for breeders I don't know but that sounds like a good idea and you might email Heather about it. I believe they should move towards giving incentives to programs who enter all of their data so that it's not so costly to enter lots of data. In the next few years I will have a hefty bill of $16 per cow on the WHR program. I do know there is a lot of discussion and ideas being floated around right now but I'm not on the committees that are doing a lot of the discussion.

huntaway

I just checked several dozen of his offspring and most are in the mid 80's to mid 90's with a couple way over that.

And there  are probably a few lighter. Looks like his data is a bell shaped curve as you'd expect from any measurable trait. I wonder what the data looks like out of some programs?

Taskforce semen gets here to late for me to use this year but might use him over my heifers next year. Like the look of the Muridale Master bull on the dams side.

J

JTM

huntaway said:
I just checked several dozen of his offspring and most are in the mid 80's to mid 90's with a couple way over that.

And there  are probably a few lighter. Looks like his data is a bell shaped curve as you'd expect from any measurable trait. I wonder what the data looks like out of some programs?

Taskforce semen gets here to late for me to use this year but might use him over my heifers next year. Like the look of the Muridale Master bull on the dams side.
I'm very interested in the Task Force bull also. He was my favorite at Bowman's. To your knowledge has he been used on heifers much?

huntaway

JTM said:
huntaway said:

I'm very interested in the Task Force bull also. He was my favorite at Bowman's. To your knowledge has he been used on heifers much?

No I don't, someone else might?