1100 lb. show steer bolts when trying to walk him

Help Support Steer Planet:

RAWANGUS

Need your help.  We showed this steer a couple of months ago and he did fine.  Now, all of the sudden, he will let you harness him, but when you try to walk him he bolts and either drags you, if you hold on, or runs off loose.  I left him drag me once, and let go of the rope the second time.  Probably shouldn't let him get used to getting away from me.  I have tied him up a couple of hours at a time.  Any fixes out there that will stop him from doing this.  If my kid tries to walk him and he does this, I'm afraid he will get hurt.  Would hooking him to the tractor work?  Thank in advance. 

cowman 52

Tractor ain't the way,  go get he biggest gentlest old show heifer and tie the two together by the halter.  Put both on the same side and dare him to try and run off with her.  When he figures out he can't run off he will give it up.  The show heifer will make him circle just don't get between the two.

Have broke one using a pipe post in the middle of a pen,  just takes a little more rope and a lot more time

Bradenh

Take a 20 or so foot rope and anchor it off to the anchor of your choice and let him take off and just let go with the halter tied into the long rope. He will learn its not worth the effort

lomheimshowcattle

Show stopper 95 said:
Take a 20 or so foot rope and anchor it off to the anchor of your choice and let him take off and just let go with the halter tied into the long rope. He will learn its not worth the effort

Ditto! We've only had 1 animal out of all the years we showed to do this, a steer...long lariat to a sturdy post,let him run away and he learned fast he wasn't getting far running away.....

Latest posts