12 days post-partum in standing heat

Help Support Steer Planet:

VJ

Had a cow lose her calf at 2 days old. Yesterday, she was standing for my bull only 12 days from her calving date. Two questions, will she stick and if so, how do I abort her?

CWshorthorns

not sure as to why she aborted but we have had a few cows that were in standing heat after losing a calf and she didn't take until it was about 2 months but she was in standing heat regularly and then one time she took. i talked to a Friend of mine that does some AIing with me and he said that most of the time they wont stick until about 40-60 days after having a calf, again this is just what has happened with our herd and i am sure every cow and cow herd is differant but maybe this will help

justintime

I am sometimes amazed how some cows can cycle as quickly as they can. Last year, I had probably the hardest pull I have ever had, from a mature cow. I am not sure why the calf was so huge as this same cow had two calves in previous years with BWs of 90 and 92 lbs, from the same sire.Maybe it was partly due to our nasty winter, as we have seen bigger BWs in very cold winters before, but this calf was simply a monster.  This was a  heifer calf that was probably over 140 lbs. The calf died shortly after it was born just from taking too long to be born. I was so played out myself that I did not bother to weigh it seeing it was dead. It was a really hard pull and the calf hip locked and she was tore up considerably. I think it took the cow two hours to get up after she calved... and I think I was close to three hours ... ha ha.

I turned this cow out on a pasture with a group of cows that were running with a  bull, as I thought the green grass would be good for her. I never expected she would even re breed and I thought I would probably ship her to market once she recovered. 18 days following this nasty, nasty birth, I was shocked to see her in heat and get bred by the bull. She settled to this service and had a nice heifer calf this year, that was born unassisted with a BW of 88 lbs. Some times Mother Nature can work small miracles!

jbw

I had a 1st calver that had the last calf, 19 days later she cycles and I AIed her to cheap semen. Had the first calf the following spring!

VJ

So what do I do? Assume she won't take and worry about it when I start breeding the rest of my cows?

BCCC

I'd say there's a good chance she good stick. I'd give her lute, that should make her abort.

aj

About 30 years ago in another drought I put cows on a salted corn self feeder along with pasture and what not. I thought I needed to breed as many cows to a certain bull before I went out to the brown pastures. Had about 65 cows on one bull in a weird year. I actually had 4 or 5 cows breed back around 30 some days post partum(they were milking). ;)

CAB

I doubt that she'd settle on this first heat, but watch her close the next time she should cycle & if she doesn't, you can then decide what is the best option for you then.

SPL

VJ said:
So what do I do? Assume she won't take and worry about it when I start breeding the rest of my cows?

I would wait about 7-10 days after she was standing and give her a shot of Lutalyse.

Latest posts