2 Steers Out of the Same Heat Wave Son and Half Sister of Same Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sambosu

After looking over my kids show calves last night, I thought it would be a good idea to show pictures of three of them because all three are related. The two steers are out of the same Heat Wave Son bull (I think they have a lot of they same characteristics).  The third pic is a heifer that is out of the bulls dam. Just wanted to post these pics and see what you thought.  The first one pictured was born in October, the second and third one pictured were both born in September.

Attachments

• 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 99.jpg
    99.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 248

Sambosu

Thanks Muddy Creek, AOK and DLD for commenting. All three calves came from Dean Kephart/K-Bar Ranch. We are excited about the steer in the second pic. He is changing a lot right now, putting on a lot of muscle. Saying this, those that have seen the steers up close seem to think the steer in the first pic will blow me away when he gets older/is a market steer.

We decided to gamble on the heifer in the third pic. Wedidn't buy her the first time we went to K-Bar and bought a couple calves. After I left, I couldn't stop thinking about her. I had to go and look at her again and decided she was worth buying. She is a very sound female but needs more volume (also needs to calm down, a little spooky around spray bottles). I think part of her problem was her mom is a pretty old cow and she didn't get as much nutrition she needed. All she had was the dried up pasture and he old momma. Her pasture didn't have a creep feeder either. We decided to name her Hope because we hope she turns out to be a good show calf and cow for us.

Cattle Cards

They all are nice looking calves.  I do like the second steer better at this point.  But as you said, time and feed will tell.  I like the heifer for her long spine, feminine features and would suspect she's pretty free moving.  I she's not stout enough down the road, I wouldn't worry.  I'd rather have a heifer or cow that's sound, free moving, feminine and put together right.  You can always breed her to a "beast" to add mass to her calves.  Easier to do that than breed two beasts where you've got no beauty.