2010 display bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

DakotaCow

Boarwalk was in my top 5 bulls. The only monopoly bull that I even wanted to look at a second and third time. He handled with an impressive amount of stifle and lower quarter, decent over his loin and was just a good honest bull in my opinion. Keep in mind I was holding his sire against him at first but the fact he grew on me made a lasting impression with me. I do agree that he could use a touch more performance and growth but there is a type of cow that he can work on and not do too much damage, in my opinion that cow would be on the larger side. Hope that helps! <party>

qbcattle

What are the thoughts on UNO MAS...love the thickness, whats his th and pha status? and was he sound?

WFCC

i think there is no doubt monopoly is the next heat wave.  He looks to work on a wide variety of cows.  i also think they could of came up with a better name for the full sib to dirty harry

starz20

WFCC said:
i think there is no doubt monopoly is the next heat wave.  He looks to work on a wide variety of cows.  i also think they could of came up with a better name for the full sib to dirty harry

Any decent club calf sire could be the "next" Heatwave if used as heavily as Monopoly is used.  You breed 100+ cows to any bull, you're bound to get at least 2-3 pretty good ones.  Just my opinion. 

DakotaCow

I would agree to that statement.With each passing year I hear people talk about who is the next heatwave. Quite frankly I think he was in denver this year and last year, and every year since HW first sired a winner. There is no way to find the next great bull unless you try a bull that looks good to you and think could benifit your operation. I think too many people look at new bulls with HW in mind and wonder will his calves be better? What if we look at bulls with a different checklist asking the pros and cons totally unrelated to the opportunity cost of not breeding to a bull that can be both inconsistant a bit harsh in the BW arena? Would we have been talking about some other bull now?

knabe

heat wave and cowtown remind me of the inbred shorthorns at KSU.  they probably aren't there anymore.

Bone2011

Telos said:
GC said:
Blackhawk said:
Did anybody see any maine bulls on display? Also what were the maine bulls like in the pen show or in the yards? Did any stand out that a guy should think about using? Looking for one to add bone and muscle. Any help would be helpful.Thanks
Blaine Nagel had a pen bull out of sooner that was flat out awesome.

Nagel is one awesome Maine breeder IMO. Always liked his program.
Are familys are very close and It is hard to find a nicer family and a breeder that is more dedicated to his opperation and is always willing to give advice to other people.

knabe

FutureBreeder2013 said:
knabe said:
heat wave and cowtown remind me of the inbred shorthorns at KSU.  they probably aren't there anymore.

???

Are there pictures of them?

the shorthorns or heat wave 6 and cowtown?

if you mean the shorthorns,  i don't have any pictures that i know of, didn't think to take them when i was there 22 some odd years ago.  they were extremely bulldoggy and not very fertile.

jbh

DCC_Cattle said:
Were there any other shorthorn bulls there besides Off Road?

A bull called METRO.....I think???....Agles from Ohio had him.....good lookin, made right, don't remember pedigree.

FutureBreeder2013

knabe said:
FutureBreeder2013 said:
knabe said:

???

Are there pictures of them?

the shorthorns or heat wave 6 and cowtown?

if you mean the shorthorns,  i don't have any pictures that i know of, didn't think to take them when i was there 22 some odd years ago.  they were extremely bulldoggy and not very fertile.

Ya i was talking about the shorthorns.

Feed Guy

GC said:
American dream i thought is better then his sire dream catcher himself at that age, he was cool back when he was at our state fair. For clubbies i was really disappointed with eye of the storm, i thought he was really straight on that front and not near soft enough made. I really liked smiling bob, i thought he was hands down the most complete there. I also thought holy smokes was the widestest a$$ bull there and it was actually a bull underneath all that hair. I was impressed with salty dog until i saw him on the wash rack and he just flat melted. And when i viewed most the lautner bulls i could have swore that it was a different bull in the picture than what was on display, when you really sat down and analyzed them i could see 3/4 of their bulls were hair. The only bull of theirs that i liked was uno mas. JMO I know there will disagree with these comments but its just what i saw.
I thought American Dream was a Star Power son?

American Dream is a full brother to Dream Catcher, Dream On x Melody

Throttle

jbh said:
DCC_Cattle said:
Were there any other shorthorn bulls there besides Off Road?

A bull called METRO.....I think???....Agles from Ohio had him.....good lookin, made right, don't remember pedigree.
I was hoping someone who had seen him would comment...he's not that far from me at home now. I'll have to go look...Bob really likes him, and I think he knows good cattle...if I remember right he is a Bloodstone

Bone2011

Feed Guy said:
GC said:
American dream i thought is better then his sire dream catcher himself at that age, he was cool back when he was at our state fair. For clubbies i was really disappointed with eye of the storm, i thought he was really straight on that front and not near soft enough made. I really liked smiling bob, i thought he was hands down the most complete there. I also thought holy smokes was the widestest a$$ bull there and it was actually a bull underneath all that hair. I was impressed with salty dog until i saw him on the wash rack and he just flat melted. And when i viewed most the lautner bulls i could have swore that it was a different bull in the picture than what was on display, when you really sat down and analyzed them i could see 3/4 of their bulls were hair. The only bull of theirs that i liked was uno mas. JMO I know there will disagree with these comments but its just what i saw.
I thought American Dream was a Star Power son?

American Dream is a full brother to Dream Catcher, Dream On x Melody
You got me thinking so i texted Scott Werning and you are correct, they are full brothers. I knew there was some relation there.