3 way cross

Help Support Steer Planet:

librarian

I have been told that a 3 way cross yields maximum heterosis. I'm not convinced because of the volatility.
What are the "it depends" that factor in?
The question concerns F1 cross cows and the optimal way to breed them.

shortybreeder

Volatility is what gives heterosis. I guess the main factors that it is dependent on however is going to be how different are the breeds? Obviously a 3 way cross involving black angus, hereford, and Charolais would yield more heterosis than black angus, red angus, and hereford.

RyanChandler

librarian said:
I have been told that a 3 way cross yields maximum heterosis. I'm not convinced because of the volatility.
What are the "it depends" that factor in?
The question concerns F1 cross cows and the optimal way to breed them.

It's somewhat of a loaded question.  There are a few considerations and with those considerations come tradeoffs- The most important consideration is how can we, or at what cross can we, maximize heterosis while simultaneously maximizing consistency.  We know these pursuits are antagonistic so any attempt to maximize both is going to be unsuccessful.  I think where the 3 way cross comes in is that its been deemed the point at which these two pursuits intersect.  That is, the point at which heterosis and consistency are OPTIMIZED.

Here we have to break heterosis down into 2 categories.  Maternal heterosis and expressed heterosis. Maternal heterosis is maximized with the F1 female.  This is a different phenomenon altogether than experienced with expressed heterosis in a calf.  With maternal heterosis, this synergistic phenomenon diminishes/becomes diluted when additional (more than one) crosses are added to the makeup of the cow.  "THERE IS NO SUBSTITUE FOR THE F1 FEMALE".  With expressed heterosis, this is not the case.

With expressed heterosis, as observed in a resulting calf, the more crosses = the higher the degree of heterosis.  The resulting progeny of an F1 Hereford x Angus cow bred to a Charolais bull, for example, will have less expressed heterosis than the resulting progeny of an F1 Hereford x Angus cow bred to a F1 Charolais x Brahman bull.  The tradeoff being that, because double cross hybrids (F1 x F1) are so inconsistent, the value of the added heterosis is more than offset by the reduction in value from lack of consistency. 

In general, as long as we're outcrossing to different breeds, the level of heterosis will continue to increase... but always at the expense of consistency and predictability. 

The flip side to heterosis, is breed regression. Breed regression is the inevitable result of backcrossing.  An example of backcrossing is breeding those Angus x Hereford cows back to Angus or Herefords bulls. As opposed to the synergistic effect of heterosis, which increases all measurables, breed regression results in depression which will reduce performance across the board.

bedrock

Check Leachman Cattle of Colorado,  they have it down to a science on crossbreeding

Mill Iron A

I think the consistency goes back to which animals you are crossing. If you F1 female is OCC x line 1 Hereford and then you put an Eaton bull on them then you could have both consistency and maximum heterosis. I will say there is diminished heterosis using the Simangus and Lim flex. However, get three generations in and depending on bloodlines there is still consistency and heterosis and the cows are super hardy. Was just at a large PB outfit a I ing for the third year now. The last two years we have gotten 83% a.i. Conception with a 7 day protocol FTAI on 350 cows. There isn't a lot of cows out there that can get that done. They have been simangus for 20 years.