3 weeks til fair...Tell me what ya think!

Help Support Steer Planet:

showsteerdlux

kyfarmgirl10 said:
My main concern with that ration is you have nothing in there that is going to help him fill out you really need to get some beet pulp or cottenseed hulls in your ration and as a more cost effective way to add protien add some soy hulls to his diet
FWIW, soyhulls are only 10% protein. Not what I would use to bump the protein up.

vc

These are just my thoughts: You need to know how many pounds of feed you are feeding daily, you need to be able to monitor your animals weight so you can tell if it is gaining at an acceptable rate. You need to budget for a good feed wether it be bagged or bulk it needs to be a good balanced ration to help your animal reach it potential. it sounds like your animal is getting what we call sweet feed or 4-way, it will not help the animal gain like it should. Good feed cost more for a reason, it has more in it, stuff your animal needs to reach its potential.

Is your animal feed by it self or with others? If it is fed with others there is really no way to know how much grain it is receiving each day.

If you know how much feed you are feeding and how much gain you are getting, you will know if your animal is on track, when and if you need to increase feed or change feed, add supplements slow them down; water ever you need to do.

If you are going to run him in a pasture, you need to run him into a pen in the morning rinse and feed him tie him under fans in the shade during the day, feed him in the evening after he has finished his feed, kick him back out into the pasture. Our calves run on grass but they eat the grain and hay and just lightly graze during the night.

My suggestion is take what you learned this year make some changes in your program and give it heck again next year,I think you will like your results.

ShortieShowGirl

vc said:
These are just my thoughts: You need to know how many pounds of feed you are feeding daily, you need to be able to monitor your animals weight so you can tell if it is gaining at an acceptable rate. You need to budget for a good feed wether it be bagged or bulk it needs to be a good balanced ration to help your animal reach it potential. it sounds like your animal is getting what we call sweet feed or 4-way, it will not help the animal gain like it should. Good feed cost more for a reason, it has more in it, stuff your animal needs to reach its potential.

Is your animal feed by it self or with others? If it is fed with others there is really no way to know how much grain it is receiving each day.

If you know how much feed you are feeding and how much gain you are getting, you will know if your animal is on track, when and if you need to increase feed or change feed, add supplements slow them down; water ever you need to do.

If you are going to run him in a pasture, you need to run him into a pen in the morning rinse and feed him tie him under fans in the shade during the day, feed him in the evening after he has finished his feed, kick him back out into the pasture. Our calves run on grass but they eat the grain and hay and just lightly graze during the night.

My suggestion is take what you learned this year make some changes in your program and give it heck again next year,I think you will like your results.

THanks so much for this positive feedback. i am still learning and will take what i learn this year and really pull it all together next year. im kinda learning as i go and on my own and so its taking time and error to really get it right.