3c picasso

Help Support Steer Planet:

texas111

Will picasso add bone to a mod angus cow?  What are his calves doing?

ALTSIMMY 79

I would say he would add some . Not many calves out of him around anymore though. What about the climax bull ? Now they look pretty good .

ALTSIMMY 79

I know pangburn stock farm in northwood iowa used to use picasso a bit back in the day , just don't here much about him anymore . But that surely doesn't mean he's not what your looking for .

ATM OH

Used to use Picasso back 5-6 years ago.  I think he would cross really well with Angus females.  Would make really nice females to build around.

chambero

Picasso has been around a while.  Proven to make real good club calf mommas - just like several other Meyer sons.  I think consensus is that 3C Macho is about the best purebred Meyer son out there, but I'd say Picasso is probably second in popularity over the long haul.  We got along fine with him for females.  I assume you realize you aren't going to get competetive steers out of him.

texas111

Yes i realize i wont get competitive steers out of him.  Im looking to get clubby mommas.

CCW

Picasso was the best PB Meyer son until Macho came out and stole his thunder. Macho being an ABS bull got him promoted more I think and gave him a better chance to succeed. However Macho is probably more consistent and polled as an added bonus.

knabe

ATM OH said:
Used to use Picasso back 5-6 years ago.  I think he would cross really well with Angus females.  Would make really nice females to build around.

not directed at you ATM OH, but in general, what doesn't work well with angus females, and what do you do with the F1's, keep breeding 1/2's to 1/2's? till the variation goes away etc etc.

chambero

True F-1 Simi-Angus cows (nothing else in them) make some of best show steer producing mommas and feedlot calves from a commercial standpoint.  From a commercial standpoint, it depends on what your buyer wants as to what bulls you use on them.  More often than not, any kind of halfblood exotic-angus bull will give you calves that will predictably grade choice with a YG 1-2. 

More often than not environmental and management differences overwhelm genetic variation from calf to calf on a producer-size scale from these kinds of crosses relative to breeding purebred to purebred.

From a show steer standpoint, the Simi-Angus momma gives the calves the necessary growth, soundness, and size while the sire (i.e. Heat Wave bloodlines) give them the muscle shape, bone, depth, and hair.

jamesgang892

I have two picasso daughters. Love them both. They are bigger framed. We have kept daughters out of both of them. One of which is by Dr. Who she has turned into one of my more functional mommas.