4-H Cruel to Animals- Chicago Tribune! WOW

Help Support Steer Planet:

Diamond

ah yes, all cows should be pets so the girl grows up thinking the world is a cute fluffy place. I mean look how well things are going for the horses that have been saved from the tarrible slaughter houses! They now enjoy  the grand time of starveing to death, mmm sounds like fun!

lowann

If beef/pork ended up being illegal to send to slaughter. They would end up becoming extinct. Feeding thousands of animals till they die of old age??? Who can afford that?
There would come a day when cows, pigs etc....... would only be in children's books, and remembrances by old cattle farmers.
I love my cattle, and they are treated like royalty here, but I love steak too, medium rare.

BABYTEX

I am mother of junior member but happened to be reading the blogs and came across this.  My daughter gets very very attached to her animals and wanted to leave her steer at State Fair this year even though he really wasnt quite ready for market yet but we told her he had to come home.  We have always raised are kids to know that our beef comes from what we raise.  It is also very hard for mom and dad to part with the animals as showing beef is very much a family hobby for us but has also helped us do better in the business.  I feel that 4-H and the beef or dairy projects is teaching my children great lessons about life and the family farm.  I also feel that the children that show livestock have some of the best values and are some of the most respectful children.  Yes there are a few uppety children as I like to call them but for the most part great kids.  My daughter wants to be a vet someday and the family farm will help her accomplish this.  I think these people need to remember where much of there products come from.  The family farm seems to be lost at times.  Well, I am going on too much but I think some people are just blind to truth and reality.  I grew up in South Dakota originally now am in Minnesota but we have a sign when you enter the southern border of South Dakota that states something to the nature of "we kill our livestock for food, if you cannot accept this please dont enter our state"  a little cruel but seems to be true.

By the way, as a previous blog stated, we treat our show animals like royalty.  When it nears show the wood chips are changed on a daily basis and the animals are washed or rinsed twice a day, hair blown, sheened, fed a very good ration of show feeds, and walked on a daily basis.  Oh and yes, our barn even plays music round the clock.  Seems to be better treatment than I get!