4-H project Brangus Heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

okshowmom

OK guys, needs some help here. I have a 4H member that is showing a couple of Brangus Heifers at our small county show in March. What is the daily hair care routine for brangus, fitting for show, and clipping tips. I show maines so this is new ballgame for me. Any help would be apppreciated! TY! :)

lightnin4

Treat them like you do your Maines.  Probably won't have as much hair to work with, but some of them will surprise you.

steerraiser

Ditto to what the previous poster said...treat them just like any heifer you have and they will be fine.  Some of the Brangus genetics are getting some hair nowadays

SFASUshowman

It is pretty safe with all breeds these days, including the Americans, unless the breed has a rule about slicking or laying the hair down, then put hair on them.  Beefmasters and Brahmans at breed sanctioned shows are required to show with the hair laying flat to the body, not sure about the Gerts rules, I generally see them slicked when I see em.  But I know Brangus, Braford, and Simbrah always show with hair and full on fitted if they can get the hair on them and the specific show allows adhesives and such!