4 heifers to breed...looking for bull suggestions!?

Help Support Steer Planet:

kattleluver

I have 4 heifers I'm looking to breed this year. 2 March heifers one out of Hot Spot (angus dam)and one out of Sonny (she is black).  I have a late May Almost Famous (angus dam) one and a early June Hide-N-Watch (black baldy dam) one.  I can post pictures later if that would help.  Currently they are weighing between 7-800 lbs.  Wanting a bull that'll throw some nice calves but not kill my girls! Any suggestions would be awesome!! :-\ Thanks!!!

Pic 1 is the Hide-N-Watch heifer... but she's grown since
Pic 2 the two heifers are in the middle the right is the Hot Spot Heifer Almost Famous heifer is on the left
Pic 3 is the same two heifers same order
Pic 4 is the almost famous heifer

Attachments

• 2010-11-13 16.41.44.jpg
    2010-11-13 16.41.44.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 2010-11-20 10.43.43.jpg
    2010-11-20 10.43.43.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 1285363229529.jpg
    1285363229529.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 2011-01-07 10.09.49.jpg
    2011-01-07 10.09.49.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 188

CAB

I would use either a black or Red Angus bull with low BW epds with a very high accuracy #. A couple of your heifers are not going to be very old when they calve. I would be extremely careful with them B/C of their age and some clubbie blood in them. I would more than likely use Northern Improvement on them if they were mine. Maybe sexed Conquest if you want to size down. Another bull that Tim Ohlde is reccomending to take the place of OCC Lengend is OCC Picture Perfect. Sandeen's own him. A clubbie bull that PPL use is Total Solution and Simi/Angus, SOS.

kfacres

CAB said:
I would use either a black or Red Angus bull with low BW epds with a very high accuracy #. A couple of your heifers are not going to be very old when they calve. I would be extremely careful with them B/C of their age and some clubbie blood in them.

Our Red Angus bull Trend...  over 150 calves born- -3.5 BW EPD (top 10% of the breed) 3 assisted birth...  the two heaviest bull calves had slight pulls, as we really didn't want to wait around, kinda thing.. and one 49 lb heifer calf that was coming brisket first, legs down, head to the side.  got her straigh, and she slid out (pretty well).  I'm currently working on a promo flyer, and can PM or email you more specific details if you would like. 

furinsilex

hntwhitetail said:
Witch Doctor

IMHO NO on witch doctor.  I have had some huge calves out of him out of angus heifers.  I like total solution myself, he makes em small and they normally come about a week early.  But then again a ce angus might be your best bet.  If they were mine id go total solution though

Chap

take a look at Doc.  owned by Wade Rodgers, Maas and Sievers.  I have had really good luck on clubby bred heifers with him.  will maintain look and hair and they come easy.  lots of the major players in the midwest are using him with great success.

OH Breeder

kattleluver said:
I have 4 heifers I'm looking to breed this year. 2 March heifers one out of Hot Spot (angus dam)and one out of Sonny (she is black).  I have a late May Almost Famous (angus dam) one and a early June Hide-N-Watch (black baldy dam) one.  I can post pictures later if that would help.  Currently they are weighing between 7-800 lbs.  Wanting a bull that'll throw some nice calves but not kill my girls! Any suggestions would be awesome!! :-\ Thanks!!!

Frame size? Do they need bred up or down. It looks like you have couple of Heat Seeker genetics, a WMW and Sonny.
If it were me, the Sonny I would breed to a Shorthorn if you don't mind color. Gizmo is the ultimate choice. Behind him would be Jake's Proud Jazz. Jazz has been working on clubby females prety well if you don't want to drop $100 a straw. That investment never bothers me on a live calf. Northern Improvement is one of all time favorites. Legend comes in behind. Legend will give you ton of body and make some nice females. He won't gain you any size though. My Northern Improvements and Traveler T510 6807 have been the best gainers and a size bigger than their momma's. Dream On and Goldmine an easy choice if you want to throw some Simmi in there . So there are alot of variables to think about for the calves. My first priority was always a live calf and healthy heifer. If you want one bull to breed them all too you can't go wrong with the angus bulls, Jazz or Gizmo. Don't rule out the Red Angus element either if you are looking for a litte more performance out of the calves. There is alot of good solid Red Angus bulls on the market.

Till-Hill

Picture of Hotspot heifer would be great! I have used him @ some customer farms and calves never got tagged and that sort of thing and still have some in the tank and have some angus cows I was wondering about using him on. Heifers like that I would use a good sim/angus bull....

CAB

Is the Hotshot bull that you are talking about the sire of the # 10 heifer @ troy Goretska's in 09 that Dave Guyer ended up buying? That semen in the tank could be worth some money. There's no more of it available & the bull's dead.

Till-Hill

No idea what their heifer was out of but this is the bull I am talking about and he is still in Select's line-up so knowing my luck he is still worth $20 as Select has him listed at. Heekseeker x Meyer 734. I am hoping to get some functional females for clubby production on Angus cows. Just can't honestly say I have seen a calf out of him yet. Sold some bred cows with his service and owners liked them. Here is link to the Hotspot I am talking about anyway....
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=61&breed=Club Calf

CAB

I don't think that it's the same bull. I want to say that I was told he was a Meyer 734, but I'm not for sure on that.

kattleluver

Updated with some pics.  They aren't they greatest but they should work.  Obviously none of them are clipped and they have grown since.  I'm not looking to breed them until late spring.  Thanks

ruhtram

Would people try 1-80 on these heifers? he would be low bw right?

texas111

Iwould try an angus bull or tyson on them.  if you have much wmw watch out for parrot mouth with tyson.  if you dont tyson, smokin joe, or dirty hairy would prob work well for you.  just my two cents.  good luck.  dont rush the options its better to have live heifers and calves thatn dead ones. 

kattleluver

texas111 said:
Iwould try an angus bull or tyson on them.  if you have much wmw watch out for parrot mouth with tyson.  if you dont tyson, smokin joe, or dirty hairy would prob work well for you.  just my two cents.  good luck.  dont rush the options its better to have live heifers and calves thatn dead ones. 

I've used Hairy Bear and am very pleased with the heifer I have out of him!!  I used Nichols Extra K205(I believe) on my Hairy Bear heifer for her first calf and he came out fine... and very small!  He looks pretty good too, he weighed 600 lbs at 6 months so I can't really complain (clapping).  I'd thought about using him on them but didn't know what any of you guys have used on the more clubbie type heifers!  I sure don't want dead heifers or calves!!  I'm planning to breed the two older ones later spring and the younger two probably a few months later.  I don't want it to be to much on any of them.  They are all in the 800lb range I'd say now.

farmershane3

if i was standing in your shoes these heifers seem really small even when you say they have matured or gotten bigger. they are good calves. i would let these girls mature some more before you look to breed them. it mainly will just be a "game time" decision whether you breed them or dont in the spring. watch them push the grain to them and see where they get