5 day protocol

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hereford399

If i put cidrs in wednesday night at 5 don't i take them out on sunday at 5? Im used to 7 day i want to make sure i am right

LN

CAB is correct.

FYI CAB - I preg checked and am very pleased with the 5 day and had higher conception to the first service AI. I had a few interesting observations.

1. the cows did not show much heat at all 12 hours before the AI
2. my younger cows didn't do as well on the 5 day as the mature cows. However we're still in the midst of an exceptional drought.
3. I just learned at the BIF convention that brahman type cows don't respond as well to time AI. I went back and checked my records and my Brahman influenced cows were 10% lower on the TAI. 58% vs 68%. Although my 58% was 20% higher than the research findings.
4. I had excellent results again on the repeats that didn't conceive to the first service.
5. Will definitely use the 5 day again on my SimAngus cows. I'll try the 7 day select synch CIDR on my Brahman type cows to see if I can boost their results.

Woody

I must be out of the loop!  Are they now recommending pulling ciders at 5 days instead of 7?  Just curious.

hamburgman

It is a another protocol out there Woody.  Really you can leave the CIDRS in 10 days no problem.  I am using a 6 day protocol because that is just what works for me this year.

CAB

Woody said:
I must be out of the loop!  Are they now recommending pulling ciders at 5 days instead of 7?  Just curious.
Woody if you ck into the 5-day protocol and decide that you are going to use it, then you need to follow it to the letter. Some PPL use it, but think that they will just not give the 2nd PG shot 8 hours later & if you take this short cut, you may as well use the 7-day program B/C you will not get the better results that they are reporting by using the 5-day program. Does anyone know if a person was to use the 7-day program with an extra shot of PG 8 hours after the first shot of PG, if the conception rates was mimic the 5-day results. Just wondering if that 2nd shot of PG would be worth doing.

HAB

We tried the 5 day protocol this year on our yearling heifers, and some 1st calf heifers.

Granted it was only 10 hd.

We only had 1 heifer that did not show any signs of heat, or "feel" like she was in heat when we AId.  We visusally heat detected, and time bred the few that we didn't see.

We have been watching them, and have not seen any short cycles.  We should know next week, if we missed any.

pweaver

I also wondered about the second shot of Lute with the 7 day protocol?  What about pulling the Cidr at 5.5 days and second Lute 8 hrs. later.  The reason I ask, we implanted Sunday evening about 6:00, April 29.  The 5 day would put us pulling Cidr's Friday evening and the second Lute shot between midnight and 4 a.m.  Don't think the crew will go for that!!!!  Waiting until Sat. a,m, to pull lets us second Lute late afternoon.

CAB

pweaver said:
I also wondered about the second shot of Lute with the 7 day protocol?  What about pulling the Cidr at 5.5 days and second Lute 8 hrs. later.  The reason I ask, we implanted Sunday evening about 6:00, April 29.  The 5 day would put us pulling Cidr's Friday evening and the second Lute shot between midnight and 4 a.m.  Don't think the crew will go for that!!!!  Waiting until Sat. a,m, to pull lets us second Lute late afternoon.
I think that you need to ask someone that you trust & know well about changing the protocol. IMO it does take a little more thought pre protocol for the 5-day program to get your shot timing on track.