$600,000 world record Hereford

Help Support Steer Planet:

MSTF

i was lucky enough to see "charity" go throught the ring at the sale of stars at the royal in toronto. she was the first holstein cow to sell for 1 million. she was breathtaking
[/quote]

Cool story but if you tell it again make sure you get it right, Charity sold at Hanover Hill's farm in Port Perry Ont. I have one of the buyers of another historic cow that sold that day sitting beside me.

renegadelivestock

MSTF said:
i was lucky enough to see "charity" go throught the ring at the sale of stars at the royal in toronto. she was the first holstein cow to sell for 1 million. she was breathtaking

Cool story but if you tell it again make sure you get it right, Charity sold at Hanover Hill's farm in Port Perry Ont. I have one of the buyers of another historic cow that sold that day sitting beside me.
[/quote]

as soon as i hit enter, and saw the post come up, i knew i was wrong, for some reason i can't think of the name of ther sale of stars cow, and i had charity stuck in my head, im thinking the cow on my mind may have been the first daughter off of dupasqier's "whinnie" cow.

Cowboy36

BRdoc said:
I personally can't verify that the 600k was real. But, I do know that 250k was real money. My friend was part of a three-way syndicate for that 250k. He said they rolled by him like he wasn't even there. The main player in the syndicate has always been a mainstay in the breed. With Buck, Bushy Park, and Sullivan getting into the Herefords, the showring has changed!

The 600k is real. It's a two-way syndicate.

RSC

I've heard from a source close to the situation that the whole deal is for real as well.

cowman 52

The Hereford realm of the world is a different deal.  These guys are Hereford, have been Hereford forever and plan to stay that way.  There may be a new player or two try and jump in, but they always seem to be just a wanna be player.  All the money in the bank won't buy you instant credibility. 
You may be able to sell high dollar shorthorns mainly to someone with a lot of bucks for a show heifer, but those bucks eventually run out and then what have you got? Try to find another customer.
The breeders that stay around have a program that works every day the sun comes up, if you don't have that capability, you wont hang around long.  Yes, they may have a great one, and go to Denver, and what uasally happens,  the stars don't align, and that great one is just another cow that went to the wayside.

simba

cowman 52 said:
The Hereford realm of the world is a different deal.  These guys are Hereford, have been Hereford forever and plan to stay that way.  There may be a new player or two try and jump in, but they always seem to be just a wanna be player.  All the money in the bank won't buy you instant credibility.  
You may be able to sell high dollar shorthorns mainly to someone with a lot of bucks for a show heifer, but those bucks eventually run out and then what have you got? Try to find another customer.
The breeders that stay around have a program that works every day the sun comes up, if you don't have that capability, you wont hang around long.  Yes, they may have a great one, and go to Denver, and what uasally happens,  the stars don't align, and that great one is just another cow that went to the wayside.

Well said! (clapping)

showsteerdlux

cowman 52 said:
Are you saying Sullivan is trying to buy credibility?

If so, I could not disagree more. No matter what folks on this site may say, John Sullivan is an upstanding cattlemen who already has more credibility in the cattle world than alot who post these type comments on here. Just because you may not agree with the way he operates, certainly doesn't mean that he does not what how to raise a set of calves year after year that compete everywhere that they go.

Also, as an FYI, between John and all his brothers, they have some sort of deal with a feedlot going, so anyone who says his cattle don't work should just go to Dunlap and see for themselves what all is going on.

To XBAR, guarantee his shorthorn genetics will be remembered for much longer than your genetics, speaking of which I am still waiting for some credibility to arise from your herd. 

RyanChandler

showsteernc said:
[
Are you saying Sullivan is trying to buy credibility?

If so, I could not disagree more. No matter what folks on this site may say, John Sullivan is an upstanding cattlemen who already has more credibility in the cattle world than alot who post these type comments on here. Just because you may not agree with the way he operates, certainly doesn't mean that he does not what how to raise a set of calves year after year that compete everywhere that they go.

Also, as an FYI, between John and all his brothers, they have some sort of deal with a feedlot going, so anyone who says his cattle don't work should just go to Dunlap and see for themselves what all is going on.

To XBAR, guarantee his shorthorn genetics will be remembered for much longer than your genetics, speaking of which I am still waiting for some credibility to arise from your herd. 
Credibility at the doll house convention? Or credibility in the beef industry? Guess what?....They're not the same.    I've never once questioned the man's character so for you to throw that into question was out of context.  I want to see several generations of HIS breeding before I coin the term 'his genetics.'

It'll be awhile before mine arises as it will take years to establish MY genetics. I'm certain I could promote and sell OTHERS genetics almost immediately...but that is really of no interest to me. 

cowman 52

Credibility in the Hereford breed ain't the same as credibility in the shorthorn breed.  Look at all the people who have came and gone, not a one was  from a Hereford family.  John  has a world of talent and a world of money it seems, will in relate to being able to sell cattle good question.
You look back over the last 50 years at least,  a Denver winner, or another "great" one, if he or she was outside a Hereford family, it was a RARE occurrence.  Sure there have a few but they just never quite made it,  just a little something kept them away.
Am I wishing hard luck on this new endeavor, no way, I hope they make it,  but there are things that don't show up in a business plan.

RyanChandler

Yall are silly to elevate the "Hereford breed" to some unattainable status  (lol)  With enough money, Id roll in any buy them all out.  You forget, everything is for sale, for the right price.

KSanburg

-XBAR- said:
Yall are silly to elevate the "Hereford breed" to some unattainable status  (lol)  With enough money, Id roll in any buy them all out.  You forget, everything is for sale, for the right price.

Your right Ryan but so is cowman52, those guys will sell you what they tell you is their best for that "right price" your talking about then in 3 years buy it back for penny's on the dollar. My family has been raising Herefords since 1946 and we have had some success but not from the showring but because we raise some damn good cattle. I have watched dozens over the years come in buy the so called best for tons of money and with in 5 years or so their dispersing. You cannot buy high dollar cows from the best herds and make it work regardless of breed and anyone that thinks you can is damn fool. I have no doubt that Sullivan can make it work but I am also sure he isn't going into it thinking he has the cat or bull by the tail either. He knows from experience that it will take him years to develop his cattle, and his niche. The Hereford breed isn't any different than any other breed when it comes to the owners and the reputation, the only way to get it is to earn it. I'm sure there are people that will cuss Sullivan for throwing his hat in the pot but I think it's an honor that after his years of breeding shorties that he would even want to take on the challenge of breeding Herefords.

I personally find it funny that people think the Hereford breed is that high class that they wouldn't allow new folks in, I think the whole clubby deal is much more exclusive and stand offish than any of the pure bred folks. JMO

Duncraggan

Credibility at the doll house convention? Or credibility in the beef industry? Guess what?....They're not the same.    I've never once questioned the man's character so for you to throw that into question was out of context.  I want to see several generations of HIS breeding before I coin the term 'his genetics.'

It'll be awhile before mine arises as it will take years to establish MY genetics. I'm certain I could promote and sell OTHERS genetics almost immediately...but that is really of no interest to me. 
[/quote]
The good test of a man's stockman skills are in his generations of pedigree of his animals.

If you pick up a five generation pedigree and at least the last three to four generations on the maternal side are of his own breeding, then you have a good idea of his ability!

IMO this boils down to the difference between 'show' cattle and 'commercially acceptable' cattle, and that is predictability!

clgcattle45x

You complain about John going into driffernt breeds. What does Mike Hartman do. He has been in into Chis,Salers.Maines, aand now he is Simmental can't forget when I started my Shorty he was there also. that is just about a 20 yar period how can he be a breeder. I think he gets into what is hot at that time. How can he develop lines ,in my opinion he is just a multipier. (argue)

RyanChandler

Duncraggan said:

The good test of a man's stockman skills are in his generations of pedigree of his animals.

If you pick up a five generation pedigree and at least the last three to four generations on the maternal side are of his own breeding, then you have a good idea of his ability!

IMO this boils down to the difference between 'show' cattle and 'commercially acceptable' cattle, and that is predictability!
[/quote]

Completely agree.  Check out the pedigree on this bull owned by PRC on here that I'm using: YY Cartwright - *4162296.  I have some great calves out of him this year. Total BS the assoc won't remove the asterisk.